Oracle of Earth-Fort Worth Tx 10/04/14

Casual conversations about anything you want!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Matknuck
Hohei
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Oracle of Earth-Fort Worth Tx 10/04/14

Postby Matknuck » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:51 pm

Hey all,

My local store was hosting the Winter Storyline event Oracle of Earth, strict format. I had not played since GenCon and I had only recently cracked my Line in the Sand sets. I saw that the Crane deck I was playing had a moderate boost and a few cards banned (Advance Warning.) So I changed up my deck a little and decided to go to the event. The night before Case and I talked a little deck talk, and I changed out a few cards. The standard turn 1 is double gold, turn two 2 guys, turn three take 1-2 provinces, 1 being the norm and momentum never stopping.

Rd 1-Crab Shugenja using the new sensei
I thought it was dishonor, which out of Crab could be great. He never used his sensei once. I swing on turn three, take one. He defends turn 4 and I overwhelm his guy. He flips two guys, doesn't have the hold for both. Buys the cheap one. I swing, take out the guy and he flips gold. I walk over as I have about 9 personalities on the board.

1-0

Rd-2 Jim Balthis Lion Honor
Jim gets a great start and staves off an early attack. I continually swing into him and keep killing his Lion Ancestors as they come out so he can't continue on a defense. I take him out as he's at 38 honor.

2-0

Rd-3 Case Kiyonaga with Mantis kensai
I flip the standard two holdings two guys turn one. Case flips only two holdings, one is a farm. I buy two guys. He straightens. On my open I eat his farm with Colonial Conscripts. He doesn't recover and buys a turn of gold. I swing. Take one. He gets a guy, defends, but can't recover from that earlier gold loss. We discuss Colonial Conscripts the rest of the event.

3-0

Rd 4 Bob Martin with Scorpion Military.
Bob's deck is tailored to beat the Crane blitz. He has 3x Colonial Conscripts, 3x Blind Honor, and 2x Calculated Risks (the farm kill action.) I take an early one, he defends the next and stops the momentum. I swing later on and die due to Blind honor. He kept naming my terrain (the +1f terrain).

3-1 gotta win out.

Rd 5- Steven Lafollette with Crane blitz
He's playing LeAnn's initial version. I go first which is a win. I buy gold, he buys gold, I buy guys and then eat his gold, he scoops pretty quick after that.
Colonial Conscripts wins again.

4-1

Top-8 Case
Game one-Case has triple gold, two farms. He bows his box for an attachment, and I eat a farm. I put him behind again. I win in a close battle at the end.
Game two-he sees one versatile farm, buys it, and then places it in his discard. I take two on turn two. Colonial Conscripts.

Top-4 Isaac Cyanova with Mantis Mil
Game one comes down to one force winning a battle. I had attacked him down to two provinces to my three. I blew up an attachment he needed and he couldn't stop the force.
Game two is a blitz and moving his one defender gets kicked out with Incapacitated.

Finals-Bob Martin
We decided to roll off. I win the roll off 2-1. I chose Doji Saiori if she's alive, if not Daidoji Akagi. I got my GenCon seed so I'm happy. I will post my deck later, but Colonial Conscripts wins games.

-Matt

Kakita Shiro
Daimyo

Re: Oracle of Earth-Fort Worth Tx 10/04/14

Postby Kakita Shiro » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:36 pm

Versatile Farm? Wasn't that TSE?
Bushi. Artisan. Duelist. Magistrate. Hatamoto.

daidoji keitaro
Hohei

Postby daidoji keitaro » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:45 am

So what I can gather is that either Colonial Conscripts should be banned in Strict, or no one should run any farms ever. Apparently the sky is falling people got this one right, and the conscripts kill any deck using farms lol

MirumotoDaisuke
Shireikan

Postby MirumotoDaisuke » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:46 am

Colonial Conscripts are mean. Imagine them in a Yasuki deck.
Dragon Clan • Artisan • Friend to the Crane • Samurai • Conqueror • Duelist • Kensai

Matknuck
Hohei

Postby Matknuck » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:05 pm

Vast paddy fields, not versatile. My bad.

Kakita Shiro
Daimyo

Postby Kakita Shiro » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:01 am

In any case, congratulations on your victory. The field was clearly competitive and being one of the early events in an environment is never easy.
Bushi. Artisan. Duelist. Magistrate. Hatamoto.

Kakita Kaikira
Hohei

Postby Kakita Kaikira » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:26 am

Congrats!
I don't know if she's still alive or not but I believe Doji Saori is now Mirumoto Saori.

Return to “General Discussion”