C Thomas Hand - New Story Team

Casual conversations about anything you want!
Daidoji Tacticus
Daimyo
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: C Thomas Hand - New Story Team

Postby Daidoji Tacticus » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:06 am

...does this mean that her newly-appointed karo may also be making an appearance?

I don't know whether to be excited or terrified at the prospect.
Ceterum autem censeo Otomines esse delendam.

Player of Asahina Umeko at Winter Court IV

Doji Azai
Chui
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Doji Azai » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:07 am

Karo?

She has a karo?
C Thomas Hand
L5R Story Team (2015-2016)

Kakita Shiro
Daimyo

Postby Kakita Shiro » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:24 am

Bushi. Artisan. Duelist. Magistrate. Hatamoto.

Daidoji Tacticus
Daimyo

Postby Daidoji Tacticus » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:24 am

I am not sure if "karo" is actually the right word for it, it was being used at WC as a generic term for "second-in-command/personal aide", which may be incorrect. But that was the position in question - Shigemitsu recommended Asahina Umeko as Natsuyo's number two, whatever the most appropriate word for that is, and Natsuyo accepted.

EDIT: Ninja'd! And not even by the Daidoji, but by the Kakita!

Doji Azai
Chui

Postby Doji Azai » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:35 am

*smirks*

I knew the Crane did something at Winter Court, but couldn't remember what.

/duckandrun
C Thomas Hand

Kakita Shiro
Daimyo

Postby Kakita Shiro » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:42 am

Bushi. Artisan. Duelist. Magistrate. Hatamoto.

Doji Azai
Chui

Postby Doji Azai » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:21 am

I just gave up on other life.
C Thomas Hand

Daidoji Tacticus
Daimyo

Postby Daidoji Tacticus » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:57 am

On the topic of setting aspects that we'd like to see better reflected in the official fictions, I'd like to see the importance of Rokugani social/courtly etiquette emphasised more. Right now, as far as I can tell, it is theoretically vital to follow it and mastery of its intricacies is a powerful tool of Crane political influence - and yet it seems possible to ignore it essentially with impunity. The example that first springs to mind is the fiction. Yoritomo Dairu rolls up in court, has an argument with Daidoji Hirota that he is explicitly described as having badly lost ("eviscerated" is the term used)... and he doesn't care at all. The Mantis just move on to "fuck you and your words, we're at war now", and are not shown to suffer any negative consequences for doing so whatsoever. No denial of permission for war, no Imperial censure for launching an unjustified war (since Dairu failed dismally to offer an appropriate justification in the eyes of the court)... nothing. Not so much as a parking ticket.

And maybe I'm just forgetful... but I really can't recall the last time anyone on-screen was shown to suffer negative consequences for being bad at this.

So, if you can do that... why does anyone care about the rules of etiquette? Just do whatever you want, no-one's going to stop you. They're a paper tiger, and with the number of factions around who disdain them as much as they can get away with, they should last about as long as a chocolate kettle.

I think this is a problem, and it would be best resolved by showing the factions who are supposed to be bad at this sort of thing actually be impeded by it. Let's see the Mantis or the Crab make angry demands and have the court shrug and turn their backs because they violated protocol. Or see them have to approach and bargain with someone they despise for help in presenting their proposal without encountering that problem. Let's see someone go with "fuck you and your words, I'll take what's mine by force!" and find their military advance interrupted by an Emerald Magistrate leading Imperial troops and carrying an arrest warrant.

One of the strengths of the Crane is supposed to be that we wrote all the rules of court and know how to capitalise whenever someone stumbles over them. I'd like to see that matter.

Togashi Jo
Gunso

Postby Togashi Jo » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:05 pm

Come visit the Dragon forums again. We have questions. :(
Here are my cards: ,

Return to “General Discussion”