C Thomas Hand - New Story Team

Casual conversations about anything you want!
Martino
Taisa
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: C Thomas Hand - New Story Team

Postby Martino » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:51 am

A question:

Will the dueling prowess of the Crane start to matter again? I ask because in two of the more recent times when dueling should have mattered, it did not. The first example would be the Emerald Championship between Kakita Noritoshi and Bayushi Jimen. I'm fine with the Scorpion winning because they won the event, but the Kakita daimyo was basically stripped of potency because he got 2nd. The more recent example is the Mantis/Crane war. The Crane goaded the Mantis in the colonies into a duel, the Crane won the duel...and then the Mantis used a loophole in Imperial Law to fight a war with us anyway.

Duels are supposed to be the final arbiter of disputes in Rokugan. Can we hope to see that actually take form, and be something the Crane use to leverage power?

Daidoji Tacticus
Daimyo
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Daidoji Tacticus » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:59 am

WRT duels and the Crane-Mantis war - I feel I should point out that the Mantis justification for the war (which was what led the Emerald Champion to let it go on) was that the Crane jumped from "we proved via duel that this one captain was evading tarriffs" to "all Mantis are evading tarriffs, and shall therefore be required to pay more". Duels are the final arbiter... but they prove only what the duel itself was actually about, and the Crane involved in that affair overstepped in their exploitation of the duel's results.

EDIT: Now, the fact that the Crane - who of all people should be the consummate masters of exploiting duels for political purposes - messed up this badly in the exploitation of a duel is a problem, I agree. But it's a different problem.
Ceterum autem censeo Otomines esse delendam.

Player of Asahina Umeko at Winter Court IV

Martino
Taisa

Postby Martino » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:06 pm

Daidoji Tacticus
Daimyo

Postby Daidoji Tacticus » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:00 pm

On that, I entirely agree.

Doji Azai
Chui

Postby Doji Azai » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:28 pm

C Thomas Hand
L5R Story Team (2015-2016)

Asahina Shimato
Chui

Postby Asahina Shimato » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:33 pm

But at the same time AEG keeps offering the Bride of the Emperor tournament prize. An Icon of the Crane, if there ever has been one, and one that would have made a great part of a Crane PATH back to their place as the Left Hand of the Emperor.
I feel that without having the Events Manager on the same page as the story team on this, your best intentions will fizzle. I wish you good luck.

Daidoji Tacticus
Daimyo

Postby Daidoji Tacticus » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:02 am

A thought occurs to me regarding how the Story Team could maintain Crane political influence as a general Thing while still allowing tournament results to assign Championships and Chosen spots: in any given rotation of the spots, reserve, say, two spots out of the Chosen + Imperial Consort + maybe the Emerald Champion for Crane characters (switch it up periodically to keep it from getting repetitive). Then have the rest assigned by tournament results as normal. Now, admittedly, this would result in fewer titles-as-story-prizes to hand out, which is a negative from AEG's perspective, but it would help with the problem of "Crane political connections" looking like a very Informed Attribute. And it's not, after all, as though "spots guarding the Wall" or "dominance of the underworld" are generally offered up as story prizes; if there's going to be a Clan whose hat includes "having people in high places", I don't think this is an unreasonable way to implement it.

Doji Makoto
Taisa

Postby Doji Makoto » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:09 am

"I am sure this will be a most interesting year."

Martino
Taisa

Postby Martino » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:17 am

I have another question: Why are we fighting with the Otomo? They've been some of our closest allies for centuries. Was this the direct result of a player storyline choice, or was this just AEG fiat? I love the idea of the Crane having enemies, and have even put my money toward that goal, but the Otomo? Really? Hating the Lion is tradition, hating the Otomo is completely out of character.

Kakita Kasukaru
Taisa

Postby Kakita Kasukaru » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:28 am

I would second that question. The Otomo have been really good at preventing any too strong alliance of any Clans together. This is a goal the Crane should actually encourage, since big Alliances usually mean war and we are terrible at it.
Kakita Kasukaru
RPG mostly / French * Greece

Return to “General Discussion”