Hello All

Casual conversations about anything you want!
Doji Makoto
Taisa
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Hello All

Postby Doji Makoto » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:27 am

"I am sure this will be a most interesting year."

Doji Makoto
Taisa
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Doji Makoto » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:31 am

Kakita Shiro
Daimyo

Postby Kakita Shiro » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:52 am

Yes, there is something about dueling right now that seems to be lacking when facing off against a Personality with higher Chi. I don't like Duelists focusing first, but I like to think that a trained Duelist has a chance to take down someone with a little natural ability.
Bushi. Artisan. Duelist. Magistrate. Hatamoto.

Tetsuro
Gunso

Postby Tetsuro » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:07 pm

So one of the things with Dueling, and with themes in general, is that the less Clans that participate in a theme, the less useful cards that care about that theme are. With the Lion, Scorpion, and Spider all throwing their hats into the proverbial dueling circles in 20F, this gives us more freedom to inject dueling-based support cards into the environment. With Lion, Crane, Scorpion, and Spider all dueling in some form or another (plus remnants of the Dragon's Ivory 1 dueling deck, sans Sensei), there are more chances for those dueling cards to have a wider audience happy to see them when they crack their packs.

This isn't to say that we're trying to homogenize the Clans. We tried to make the best effort to have the Scorpion, Spider, and Lion all duel believably within the confines of the flavor and history of their Clans. The Spider had a dueling tradition way back in the day, and early in Ivory 1 development we knew we eventually wanted to see this resurrected, hence Personalities supporting dueling cropping up here and there (this is also why, for example, you'd find an odd Crane Magistrate or Kakita Jester pop up in Ivory 1, and why during 20F and beyond you might see groundwork being laid for future themes that might not seem like they quite fit in perfectly yet, though hopefully they're still playable). The Scorpion as assassins and the Lion reviving the long dormant school of Matsu Seijuro we hope also feel appropriate for their own Clans. But, of course, I'm here to focus on the Crane, and not everyone else. :)

More or less, I'm saying that with the injection of three more dueling based themes, expect to see dueling support go up appropriately. We are striving for each dueling deck to have a different "feel" to it when you play it, though. Otherwise, if they all played essentially the same save color schemes, players would just play whichever was most efficient.

One of our hopes in 20F is that when you are playing a dueling deck, and you go up against a dueling deck from another clan, it's more interesting than a case of "higher number wins", and that a match against a Lion dueling deck and a Spider dueling deck will feel different, like you're going toe-to-toe with opponents using different styles.
Jeremy Sumerlin
L5R CCG Design Team, 2012-2015

Kakita Onimaru
Site Admin

Postby Kakita Onimaru » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:51 pm

Thanks for the response! (Look at Jeremy, learning how to talk in "AEG Corporate speak :) )

To elaborate on how you said groundwork for themes get laid early on, I wanted to talk about how long it take for a theme to fully "Mature" into a full fledged themes, especially when divided into 3 different formats.

Take this for example;
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=451

It is my attempt to pull off a dueling magistrate build with Hakuseki. It appears fine in "Extended" (which used to be standard format this time of year), but appear to be lacking in "Arc". Also, it looks like the personality base is moving away from dueling and more toward Doji Politics.

But my overall questions is still "How long does it take a them to mature, and how is it weighed against all 3 formats". Especially in concern of themes that take longer to come into their own, in which by the time they can operate at a decent pace the other themes in the game have by then evolved into new beasts.
If you're having Crane problems I feel bad for you son,
I've got 99 problems but a duel ain't one!

Tetsuro
Gunso

Postby Tetsuro » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:18 pm

Jeremy Sumerlin

MirumotoDaisuke
Shireikan

Postby MirumotoDaisuke » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:28 pm

Dragon Clan • Artisan • Friend to the Crane • Samurai • Conqueror • Duelist • Kensai

Tetsuro
Gunso

Postby Tetsuro » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:52 pm

Jeremy Sumerlin

Dare
Daimyo

Postby Dare » Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:52 am

How do you think the fact that any "good" Crane duelists are stuck at 3 Chi, which is surpassed by many Personalities even in non-duelling decks? Between the inability to duel non-duel decks (Shugenjas in particular), and the increase of duelling availability (in clans with better Chi guys), how do you envisage Crane duelling to actually have a place in any kind of meta?

Doji Makoto
Taisa

Postby Doji Makoto » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:30 am

Yeah, duelling agains shugenjas is suicide. I feel bad when my trained swordsman cannot defeat Phoenix who doesn´t even know which end of the sword goes where :D .

Return to “General Discussion”