Hello All

Casual conversations about anything you want!
Tetsuro
Gunso
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Hello All

Postby Tetsuro » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:42 am

Hello everyone, my name is Jeremy Sumerlin. I'll be doing the upcoming Clan writeups for 20F related to the Design process and philosophies behind the Crane Clan. Many years ago I was the head moderator of the old Crane Clan Forum for quite a long time, so some of the older crowd around here may be familiar with me.

I'm going to try and be a design presence on these forums, to talk with you guys about the Crane, what we're doing with them, and to be on hand to talk about whatever the Crane playerbase would like to talk about with regards to their Clan and the Design Team (if I'm able to, of course ;) ).

Is there anything in particular you guys would like to see touched on in the 20F Clan writeups?

Looking forward to hearing from people here. Thanks!
Jeremy Sumerlin
L5R CCG Design Team, 2012-2015

Kakita Shiro
Daimyo

Re: Hello All

Postby Kakita Shiro » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:58 am

Can you change your avatar back to Cobra Commander for old times sake?
Bushi. Artisan. Duelist. Magistrate. Hatamoto.

Tetsuro
Gunso
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Tetsuro » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:06 am

Jeremy Sumerlin

Doji Makoto
Taisa

Postby Doji Makoto » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:11 am

Awkward question: What is writeup? :$
"I am sure this will be a most interesting year."

Tetsuro
Gunso

Postby Tetsuro » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:14 am

Jeremy Sumerlin

Doji Makoto
Taisa

Postby Doji Makoto » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:32 am

Hm... My question isn´t exactly about 20F set, but I thing that it fits to the "vision" part so I will ask it anyway... :D

Are there any plans concerning the Crane "Honor" Courtiers?
You know, I really love them, but in past months, our new cards were more about scouts, duelists and now dishonor courtiers... But are there any plans to bring back good old Crane Honor politics? :D
"I am sure this will be a most interesting year."

Tetsuro
Gunso

Postby Tetsuro » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:42 am

So while I can't get into specific plans about what is coming up, I will say that the themes for Crane in 20F are the Doji Magistrates and the Kakita Jesters. One is meant to be a more defensively-minded honor deck, and the other is a dishonor deck.

Honor is viewed more as a base theme, the core part of the Crane identity, specifically Political Honor. Other Sensei are meant to branch out into alternative honor based play styles (that is to say, neither Tadanobu Sensei or Hakuseki support any sort of Crane Courtier based honor theme, instead providing benefits for exploring other means of gaining Honor). Our desire is to have Crane's Political Honor deck function more as a base theme for the Clan, and the Sensei exist to promote the development of different types of Crane deck styles.

There will certainly be Courtiers in the Crane Clan, however, and there are no plans at this time for support for Courtier Honor decks to go away anytime soon.

I know that's not a direct answer, but hopefully it's better than what you had before. :)
Jeremy Sumerlin

Kakita Shiro
Daimyo

Postby Kakita Shiro » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:56 am

I assume it was intentional to reprint Soul of Nukada with Embassy's HR?
Bushi. Artisan. Duelist. Magistrate. Hatamoto.

Tetsuro
Gunso

Postby Tetsuro » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:00 am

Jeremy Sumerlin

Kakita Onimaru
Site Admin

Postby Kakita Onimaru » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:49 am

Hey Tetsuro. Has it really been that long since you were a mod here? I'm old...

Anyway, My question is a classic running battle between Crane VS everyone else: Whats the deal with dueling?

Specifically, the balance of duel lethality, the leveraging of Focus effects, and duels being synergistic with other sub-themes?

I personally loved the flow of dueling in Celestial edition where being able to focus first allowed for some interesting decisions when challenging someone and the focus effect were often more valuable than the duel itself. Emperor reduced the proactive focus effects. Ivory 1 began bringing them back in a smaller capacity and removed a lot of the lethality (as the whole game became less lethal). I know many people want to see dueling either removed or simplified down to "compare chi, bow loser", but wanted to know how you see dueling changing going forward.

Also, let me say that I love love LOVE that so many clans are entering the dueling scene now in different ways. I think people will re-warm back up to the mechanic the more they have access to it.
If you're having Crane problems I feel bad for you son,
I've got 99 problems but a duel ain't one!

Return to “General Discussion”