The Game

Casual conversations about anything you want!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Matrim
Nikutai
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

The Game

Postby Matrim » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:23 am

Greetings all,

Looking at potentially returning after a longish hiatus (last time I played seriously was Diamond and with harrier at that). So I have a few questions

a - what general state is the game in. Rude health, stable, gentle decline, precipitous decline. I expect the usual 'the world is falling' posts on l5r.com so wanted a more nuanced approach from people who have not just dropped
b - what state is the Crane clan in. I was always a harrier then an iron crane player not having much time for duelling or honor. Is that still possible? or have the design team focused more strongly on core crane capabilities
c - Play opportunities. I presume some sort of online play is available now and if so how good is. I am based in leicester UK so doubt I will get much opportunities for ftf so if I want to play online would need to be something unsimilar to playing a computer game
d- why l5r over Magic. I say this because I could get ftf play with Magic in my area though have never seriously looked at that game. ftf is good so I'm looking for reasons why L5R should invite me back again.

Thanks for any comments or assistance.

Kakita Shiro
Daimyo

Re: The Game

Postby Kakita Shiro » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:10 am

Bushi. Artisan. Duelist. Magistrate. Hatamoto.

Kakita Onimaru
Site Admin

Postby Kakita Onimaru » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:39 am

Hi! Let me see if I can help you out with your questions.

A: We are at the end of a Massive drop off. Many people left during the overpowered Emperor arc, and the people who liked that environment left when Ivory edition powered everything down. I'm optimistic that things will start up swinging soon. We have new story team members and Winter COurt 4 has revitalized the community a bit, as well as the new 20F base set. It rough, but not dead yet.

B: Crane is relatively good. Crane Scout was the top deck for most of last year and is still strong going into 20F despite losing a few neat tools. Honor dueling is good...but not top tier. It can't deal with high Chi shugenja or massive swarms, and those are the two biggest deck types right now. Against every one else its pretty good.

C: Untap, a browser based system was the most popular online format for a long while. There is a new 3d based prgram called sun and moon that came out recently that is gaining popularity. If you can find a local play group you are doing better than most.

D: What are you looking for in a game? If you want a well supported game with a large community and copious amounts of tournaments then by all mean, Magic is the way to go. But L5R is still the best way to play a game and interact with the meta story simultaneously, and while its smaller these days it still has a great community around it. Personally, I love the theme, I very much prefer the card mechanics, and not to be hostile but I dislike the prevalence of jerks that seem to fill that community. If these are things that interest you then we would love to have you back!
If you're having Crane problems I feel bad for you son,
I've got 99 problems but a duel ain't one!

Matrim
Nikutai

Postby Matrim » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:09 am

ftf does appeal but with ccg it is not everything. What would people recommend I start with? wait until the next base set, get the next release or try and back load on ivory and the next release..

Kakita Shiro
Daimyo

Postby Kakita Shiro » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:22 am

Matrim
Nikutai

Postby Matrim » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:22 am

Thats a change from the two year cycle. Are the 'base' sets close in size to the old base sets or smaller (I remember having to buy a box of starters and three of boosters of each base set to get most of the cards but only needing 1 booster box for standard releases..)

Kakita Shiro
Daimyo

Postby Kakita Shiro » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:16 am

Kakita Ijiwaru
Taisa

Postby Kakita Ijiwaru » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:07 pm

Kakita Shiro
Daimyo

Postby Kakita Shiro » Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:23 am

Return to “General Discussion”