GenCon 2015 Clan Meeting

Casual conversations about anything you want!
Kakita Onimaru
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: GenCon 2015 Clan Meeting

Postby Kakita Onimaru » Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:20 pm

There are a couple of things I wanted to comment on about how things got voted the way they did. As stated, ST came to the dinner and asked us a simple question "What slight have the Crane faced do you want to see avenged?" And this is a difficult question to answer. Who do the Crane have animosity towards? Who actual has wronged us recently?

One of the first responses to be put on the table, for me, made it perfectly clear. Someone brought up the Yasuki.

The Yasuki....ANOTHER Yasuki war......ANOTHER YASUKI WAR??????

Personally, this made it clear that we had no "good" options. All of our conflicts are old and played out. More Crane vs Crab? More Cran vs Lion? We are so at odds with the Scorpion that the dial is wrapping back around itself and we are forging legitimate friends ships with them based on mutual understanding. Hell, the Dragon weren't even brought to the table due to their involvement with the Harriers, they were mentioned due their long standing rivalry with the Kakita.

No, we wanted something different. And absolutely nothing was brought to the table had anywhere near as much passion than the loss of the Harriers. Should we have them? Should they even have existed? Do they go too far as samurai and as Daidoji? We talked and argued and debated and drank for hours about this topic. But at the end when a vote was called almost everyone at the table raised their hand. Animosity against the Dragon is what we chose.

But, I will be the first to admit that this decision had almost nothing to do with the Dragon. This is really an internal debate that is being projected onto the Dragon. We had something and now its gone, and the Dragon were a part of it. That is the extent of our justification. What is happening is that the Dragon are being caught up in an issue that they really have nothing to do with, but there is so much pent up emotion among the Crane about this topic that needs to be vented somewhere, and unlike the Unicorn we cannot bring ourselves to look at ourselves.

I will say this thought. Despite this being a very internal conflict made manifest, we are not unjustified in our actions. The culture of Bushido supports this. Not the tenets, the culture. Specifically in how the Rokugani live with an inherently contradictory set of rules. It is impossible to live by a strict or even fairly loose reading of the virtues of buhsido, that is why people are praised for being the "most" honorable or for heavily embodying one virtue. Samurai slip and fall constantly, most of the time just for trying to get through their normal day. Fortunately, Courtesy protects samurai from embarrassment because when someone is caught failing to be perfect the polite thing to do is look away. For instance, a Samurai is never seen as being drunk in public, yet many samurai make it home from the local sake house every night with their honor intact because courtesy makes everyone look away and pretend like they don't see anything. He is not causing a great disturbance, so let him go as he pleases (albeit with a few rumors attached to his name in court). Everyone knows that the Mantis overtax the hell out of ports and smuggle goods all the time, but the Crane didn't do anything about until they became too much of a disturbance to ignore. The Dragon caught the Crane with Gaijin pepper, a crime to be sure, but as it really a disturbance? The only ones on the receiving end of the pepper were the enemies of the Crane, and in that context it wasn't really that far beyond the standard "questionable tactics" of the Daidoji family. The courteous thing to do would have been to walk away. Instead, a mirror was held to the Crane and we were forced to look at ourselves. In that reflection we saw imperfection. Was it the truth? Yes, absolutely. But it was also impolite to do so, and in the eyes of a Crane being impolite is unacceptable.

Now, the nature of this conflict was never defined. In fact, it was left VERY open ended. Some of us want to straight up blow them up with gaijin pepper! ( a silly idea, i know). Others wanted a soft "Crane like" conflict where we put them on blast at court and in the dueling ring. Personally, I like the idea of returning the favor. Let us hold up a mirror so that the Dragon can see how THEY have failed to live up to the word of the Imperial Throne. After all, they were the ones responsible for keeping an eye on the Spider. Now Kanpeki is raising a demon army to take the throne. Now, the COURTEOUS thing to do would be to look the other way and let the Dragon save face by letting them celebrate the strides they have made with the "good" Spiders.

But the truth hurts....
If you're having Crane problems I feel bad for you son,
I've got 99 problems but a duel ain't one!

Doji Yoshi
Hatamoto
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Doji Yoshi » Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:23 pm

Just remember that the Dragon never attacked the Crane over "Harriers".
Only Domotai and Satsu knew the truth (and the audience), the public reason was not the same.
Heck, the vast majority of the clan never knew that there were any such things as the harriers.
It actually makes sense that the Crane would strike back. Makoto wasn't involved, nor do we know if he knows the actual truth.
Only person we know that knows for sure is retired Alternate Dimensional Uji.
Crane Clan * Hatamoto No.1 * Villain

Kakita Onimaru
Site Admin

Postby Kakita Onimaru » Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:28 pm

If you're having Crane problems I feel bad for you son,
I've got 99 problems but a duel ain't one!

Doji Yoshi
Hatamoto

Postby Doji Yoshi » Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:42 pm

Daramere
Awesome Guy

Postby Daramere » Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:03 pm

I have to admit that it would provide me with some amusement if a Crane character with an incomplete knowledge of prior events publicly complained about the Dragon exposing the Harriers, not realizing that he was himself exposing the Harriers at that very second. Hilarity ensues.

Kakita Shiro
Daimyo

Postby Kakita Shiro » Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:08 am

I only brought up the Yasuki in the sense that I want the entire Crab Clan disbanded.
Bushi. Artisan. Duelist. Magistrate. Hatamoto.

Doji Pheelyp
Taisa

Postby Doji Pheelyp » Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:36 am

Courtier * Doji Innocent * Loyal

Doji Kuribe
Nikutai

Postby Doji Kuribe » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:21 am

I definitely agree with this decision, even if for strictly personal reason. When I came back in Ivory after having not played since Gold, I was FURIOUS that the harriers were forced to disband. They were one of my favorite aspects of Crane. The dark, dishonorable but necessary secret of the clan of poise and honor.

KakitaKaori
Shireikan

Postby KakitaKaori » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:13 pm

It was very clear from the table that the target for the vengeance was the Dragon, and nothing else was going to hold, unfortunately. But I don't think people should necessarily presume that this means that it's going to be full-out war with Dragon. When we voted, we were allowed to make suggestions on the means by which the vengeance would be delivered, and I think that we mostly all came around to a political sort of vengeance rather than a military one. The Dragon has had no problem negotiating with and dealing with the Scorpion and even the Spider in the past, and I think there was a certain amount of hypocrisy in that which also made the Dragon a tempting target. Putting the Dragon at odds with the Scorpion politically would serve to remind the Dragon what truly "creative" tactics in warfare look like. It is possible that they have forgotten. And if they should need to appeal to other, more traditionally honorable clans to assist them in the conflict, that is a pretty good revenge, I think.
Kakita Kaori
Kenshinzen of Golden Petal Village and overly prolific fiction writer
http://craneclan.weebly.com/
[Kakita Kyoumi/WC5]

Doji Yoshi
Hatamoto

Postby Doji Yoshi » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:42 pm

Return to “General Discussion”