Crane Paths and Kotei Choices

Casual conversations about anything you want!
Kakita Shiro
Daimyo

Re: Crane Paths and Kotei Choices

Postby Kakita Shiro » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:03 pm

Bushi. Artisan. Duelist. Magistrate. Hatamoto.

Ultimatecalibur
Gunso
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Ultimatecalibur » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:51 pm

Doji Makoto
Taisa
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Doji Makoto » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:21 pm

"I am sure this will be a most interesting year."

Kakita Ijiwaru
Taisa

Postby Kakita Ijiwaru » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:39 am

Himoto
Gunso

Postby Himoto » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:16 pm

"Those around in those years"?. I've been around as long as you have, and I remember a great many of us who felt that being the honor types was pretty important.

I even distinctly remember fanbase outrange when AEG had the nerves to ...give us a -HR personality for the first time.

Asahina Shimato
Chui

Postby Asahina Shimato » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:23 pm

I think there is a tendency to conflate and/or confuse "the most honorable" with "goody two-shoes". And that is because the fiction usually does not do a good enough job to explain the difference. It is complicated for a western audience I imagine, even though they seem to manage just fine with walking that thin line with the Lion. Fred Wan's explanation of why they got rid of the Harriers basically boils down to "we gave up trying to explain the difference to people, the Crane are the good guys period."

So the Crane can't really be machiavellian because they are the good guys, right? That means that the only ones they are allowed to hurt - other than in self-defense - are themselves.

I am so very sick of reading about the Crane being MOSTLY HARMLESS, I can't even... ugh!

Martino
Taisa

Postby Martino » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:25 pm

There was some of that, but there was also a lot of frustration that these really great plots didn't really involve us as power brokers. We thought Doji Tanitsu was awesome, but then the Four Winds story ended and he didn't actually do that much. Iuchiban's war didn't really involve us doing much as courtiers either, I honestly think the coolest thing that happened in that era was Yasuki Hachi unifying his family, which wasn't about court power but did have to do with him being Emerald Champion.

Then Bayushi Kaukatsu became Chancellor and we were really frustrated by it. Scorpion politics seemed like it was everywhere. And then even later we didn't really play much of a role at all in Chagatai's march and attempted coup.

Honestly I feel like the most significant event that happened because a clan was honorable was when the Phoenix summoned the Fire Dragon. That was really cool, and it was tied into them being honorable and connected to the Celestial Order. Have we ever done anything like that?

Martino
Taisa

Postby Martino » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:26 pm

Asahina Shimato
Chui

Postby Asahina Shimato » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:37 pm

You almost sound like you think honor was somehow stronger than, say, steel. That's crazy talk.

Doji Satevis
Chui

Postby Doji Satevis » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:58 pm

Return to “General Discussion”