Crane Paths and Kotei Choices

Casual conversations about anything you want!
Daidoji Tacticus
Daimyo
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Crane Paths and Kotei Choices

Postby Daidoji Tacticus » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:29 pm

Ceterum autem censeo Otomines esse delendam.

Player of Asahina Umeko at Winter Court IV

Doji Satevis
Chui
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Doji Satevis » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:22 pm

Doji Makoto
Taisa

Postby Doji Makoto » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:24 pm

"I am sure this will be a most interesting year."

Doji Satevis
Chui

Postby Doji Satevis » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:54 pm

Ultimatecalibur
Gunso

Postby Ultimatecalibur » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:05 am

Daidoji Tacticus
Daimyo

Postby Daidoji Tacticus » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:25 am

Oh. That would make sense, yeah. Except for the part where the Crane are somehow to blame for the Otomo doing what they always do.

And the part where giving a recommendation on who should marry into who, i.e. exactly what they were asked to do, is stepping beyond their mandate. I mean, the Otomo are massive dicks, but they weren't wrong here.
Ceterum autem censeo Otomines esse delendam.

Player of Asahina Umeko at Winter Court IV

Martino
Taisa

Postby Martino » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:09 am

I think our involvement in the Dragon/Unicorn conflict was perfectly rational. The Unicorn have traditionally been allies, while our last meaningful contact with the Dragon was the War of Silk and Steel. The Dragon have also often been closer to our rivals in the Scorpion.

For one, we don't want to see Moto Naleesh join the Dragon, because she's pretty level-headed and reasonable. Especially since leadership of the clan would end up in the hands of Shinjo Min-Hee. We have an interest in there being fewer Champions who are as military-minded as her, and especially one who hates the Lion. I may not like the Lion, but at the time it made sense to watch out for our allies.

The other reason is that we're supposed to be the ones who do set social conventions. If we say that the soul of a Kami trumps a previous marriage arrangement, that needs to be the way it is. Our role as the leaders of social policy can't be meaningful if everyone can just ignore it when it is inconvenient for them. If they can, then we need a new reason to be cool.

Asahina Shimato
Chui

Postby Asahina Shimato » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:39 am

Actually, I thought that the entire thing was meant to make Shinjo Min-Hee an ally of the Crane. That outcome has pretty much petered out (mainly because there hasn't been any fiction whatsoever), but I thought it was pretty good as a rationale for getting involved.

Martino
Taisa

Postby Martino » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:53 am

That was, but I'm not sure how useful she really is unless we go to war with the Lion.

Daramere
Awesome Guy

Postby Daramere » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:59 am

You guys are taking this way too seriously. One, note the repeated use of jokey faces in my lines on this subject. I know there's no tone on the internet, but that's why we've got those emoticon things. The Crane interference was kind of necessary to really make the drama of the whole thing really kick up a notch anyway - and it's not the Crane's fault that the plot was allowed to wither and die. Lighten up! Two, whether or not it makes political sense for the Crane to screw up the arranged marriage between Naleesh and Shikei is completely irrelevant to whether someone in the rooting section for their romance is going to resent said actions. That's like not being allowed to boo a sports rival because it was rational for them to play their best and defeat your favorite team.

P.S. You guys keep saying that you want things showing the Crane's ability to get things done politically, and yet when we're talking about how the Crane got something done politically in exactly the way the Crane do this sort of thing (by having the right person be friendly with the right person, and whispering a little suggestion into that friendly ear), you just want to blame the Otomo. Have some fun! Revel in your political acumen! Not grumpy griping about how this is setting social conventions. Just have a little fun. Mock the Dragon delegation for proposing that Miaka marry Shikei. Point out how Dainagon totally had a crush on Naleesh, and you'd better watch out for those Crane socialites. Or something more clever than those. But you've got to be able to have some fun with it.

Return to “General Discussion”