On Why The Harriers Had To Go

Casual conversations about anything you want!
Kakita Shiro
Daimyo

Re: Crane Paths and Kotei Choices

Postby Kakita Shiro » Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:51 am

Bushi. Artisan. Duelist. Magistrate. Hatamoto.

Kakita Onimaru
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Kakita Onimaru » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:08 am

If you're having Crane problems I feel bad for you son,
I've got 99 problems but a duel ain't one!

Daramere
Awesome Guy

Postby Daramere » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:03 pm

Kakita Onimaru
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Kakita Onimaru » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:22 pm

I can't speak for Martino but I would personally like to say that, yeah, even if all someone did was slap "harrier" on our scout theme I'd be a little happier. They'd be a watered down version of their former selves, but It would be nice that they were back.

And after years of being a bottom tier clan I am super happy that Crane have a top-tier competitive deck these days and our raking in the wins. This is more than most clans get. Way more. But everytime I look the Kotei records/testing results and see that Crane honor isn't A: competitive or B: the best honor deck in the field, I get a little miffed. And yes, it is the most petty entitled feeling ever, I get that, but when I signed up to wear the powder blues, thats what I wanted. And not for nothing, but thats a big part of the games.

And to clarify, Right now Crane honor (and the arguably faster Pheonix Honor) are competitive, but I don't know If I would call them top tier. Me personally, I would gladly hand over all our scout wins in exchange for a dueling honor theme that was as competitive. Bu hey, I'm a realist and must admit I should be happy with what I have. I'm gonna go to Gencon and sit down at the table with my Geisha scouts. But, deep down, I'm gonna be wishing I had been able to sit down with an honor deck with the same amount of confidence.

Again, I speak for myself and no one else.
If you're having Crane problems I feel bad for you son,
I've got 99 problems but a duel ain't one!

MirumotoDaisuke
Shireikan

Postby MirumotoDaisuke » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:25 pm

Can you be more specific as to what "not Harrier enough" means? I mean, it's more than just adding the Harrier keyword to your existing Scouts, righti? Don't make this into a nostalgia session where you long for The Good Ol' Days.
Dragon Clan • Artisan • Friend to the Crane • Samurai • Conqueror • Duelist • Kensai

Martino
Taisa

Postby Martino » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:34 pm

Daramere
Awesome Guy

Postby Daramere » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:04 pm

Doji Makoto
Taisa

Postby Doji Makoto » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:09 pm

And this is the reason I don't want the Harriers back - I am on the "truly always honorable" side.
"I am sure this will be a most interesting year."

Marketeer
Nikutai

Postby Marketeer » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:12 pm

Fred Wan
L5R Assistant Story Lead

Marketeer
Nikutai

Postby Marketeer » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:56 pm

Ok, cutting to the chase here:

Could a Harrier-like unit exist within the Crane? Yes, it would involve taking tactics the Daidoji (generally) use and upping it a notch.

Would they mechanically be the same as the last iteration of Harriers? Absolutely not. The old ones were not at all reflective of their narrative position.

Would there be significant downsides storywise? Yes. The Harriers are not just dishonorable, they are treasonous. Any honorable person who discovers their existence will be required to try and expose them, or be compromised merely by knowledge of their existence. Their existence will imply that the Clan lacks faith in the skills of its courtiers, the blades of its duelists, and the courage of its bushi. Their existence will render the Crane vulnerable politically. This is the kind of secret you will have to kill to maintain, and the victims will almost entirely be honorable individuals both within and outside of the Crane, not "enemies" or "criminals" or people "who deserve to die".

The people who deserve death and disgrace will be your own.
Last edited by Marketeer on Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fred Wan
L5R Assistant Story Lead

Return to “General Discussion”