Concerns With Crane Story Direction

Casual conversations about anything you want!
Martino
Taisa

Re: Crane Paths and Kotei Choices

Postby Martino » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:14 pm

We talk about wanting our legacies back, but I think a lot of us don't agree on which ones we want. You see that guy in your icon? Handsome guy in the fancy green armor? Pretty much the coolest guy ever. We don't have the green armor anymore, we don't have the Lion anymore, and his fighting style is basically unused. That's the stuff I want back. When did we stop caring about Kakita?

Kakita Shiro
Daimyo

Postby Kakita Shiro » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:23 pm

Martino wrote:We talk about wanting our legacies back, but I think a lot of us don't agree on which ones we want. You see that guy in your icon? Handsome guy in the fancy green armor? Pretty much the coolest guy ever. We don't have the green armor anymore, we don't have the Lion anymore, and his fighting style is basically unused. That's the stuff I want back. When did we stop caring about Kakita?

It's not that WE ever stopped caring, it's what the Story Team decided to stop writing about. Non-Crane readers could understand the Daidoji stuff more, which is awesome in its own way, but not what the majority of Crane fans are into.
Bushi. Artisan. Duelist. Magistrate.

CCG Trades

Daidoji Tacticus
Daimyo

Postby Daidoji Tacticus » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:29 pm

I am not sorry in the least to see the thousand-year pissing match with the Lion over with. If we're picking eternal enemies, could we not pick the Crab instead? Or even the Mantis. People we have actual clashes of interest and ideology with. Not someone that we fight purely because our parents and grandparents did, going back to Matsu being chronically lacking in both consistency and a sense of proportion.

The loss of the green armour? Basically inevitable as soon as the Emerald Championship started being a CCG prize. The odds of any one Clan consistently holding it are not high. As long as it remains a CCG prize, I don't think there's much to be done about it.

Also, while you may not have enjoyed AEG's past court-focused fictions, I did, and would like to see more of them. Your taste is not universal.
Ceterum autem censeo Otomines esse delendam.

Player of Asahina Umeko at Winter Court IV

SpookyElectric
Nikutai

Postby SpookyElectric » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:39 pm

I liked how Doji Tanitsu was written, and he wasn't a duelist. He was actually my favorite Crane, back in the day. Dude was a champion.

I also liked Asahina Sekawa, but I also recognize that I'm in the minority there.
Former Story Team - Doji Tanitsu WC '07 - Doji Rinji WC '09 - GM Tenjin WC '12 & '14 - Sparrow Clan Advocate

Martino
Taisa

Postby Martino » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:54 pm

I'll accede to Doji Tanitsu, but a lot of his success was grounded in the fact that everything he did was important and involved other important people.

Martino
Taisa

Postby Martino » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:35 pm

Also I would point out, Spooky, that you used two characters originally printed in freaking GOLD EDITION.

Kakita Shiro
Daimyo

Postby Kakita Shiro » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:41 pm

Martino wrote:Also I would point out, Spooky, that you used two characters originally printed in freaking GOLD EDITION.

One of which he roleplayed, according to his signature. ;)
Bushi. Artisan. Duelist. Magistrate.

CCG Trades

Kakita Ijiwaru
Taisa

Postby Kakita Ijiwaru » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:30 pm

It's not that WE ever stopped caring, it's what the Story Team decided to stop writing about. Non-Crane readers could understand the Daidoji stuff more, which is awesome in its own way, but not what the majority of Crane fans are into.[/quote]

Yes.

Martino
Taisa

Postby Martino » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:58 am

They also don't have courtier stories that accomplish anything. The example above is about two characters getting invitations to courts. That's not a real plot, that's small talk. Even in Spooky's well-received magistrate story, there was really no result. They sorta figured out that the Spider are not good guys? How lame is that as an "outcome?" When they decide to write court fictions with the kinds of plot importance that other fictions get, then I'll support them. Until then, stop writing stories that don't go anywhere.

SpookyElectric
Nikutai

Postby SpookyElectric » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:09 am

Martino wrote:Also I would point out, Spooky, that you used two characters originally printed in freaking GOLD EDITION.

And the guys you're talking about go back to the Clan Wars. Am I not going far back enough for your tastes? Fine, there was also Doji Shizue, the courtly storyteller whose characterization I also really liked. She was one of my favorites from that era, actually. But then, I've always liked the "victory through cleverness" angle moreso than just straight combat prowess in characters.

I guess my position is that we should try to protect all of our themes. I like all aspects of the Crane Clan, courtly or otherwise. It's why I bled powder blue as a clan loyalist for nine years in the CCG. I know the path I want to see the Crane take moving forward, but I also know I'm one person out of many. The first thing saved for the Crane were the Iron Warriors, not anything having to do with dueling or the courts. That was his choice and it spoke volumes. The very next thing saved for the Crane was the Kakita Dueling Academy. So there's some dueling priority there, which pleases me greatly. Choosing to save themes of other clans would also please me, because "having a ton of allies/favors" is another Crane theme, one that goes back to the Clan War era and is just as much a Crane thing as dueling. Of course, the only thing chosen for another clan was antagonistic, but I can also happily live with that.

As for what we "decide" to write about, it's not as simple as that. Story Team often doesn't decide what we're writing about. There are many forces external to Story Team that dictate what stories get written. As I understand it, one of the new goals AEG is really pushing is to make players one of the most significant of those forces. So if you feel like dueling is under-represented in the Crane right now, the best thing to do is to get super involved with the game. The Crane paths are coming soon, and they're not entirely created by Story Team, they're the result of collaboration on all levels of AEG and what players seem to be saying about the direction of their clan. But in my opinion, there shouldn't be just a "courtly" path, a "dueling" path, a "daidoji" path, etc. The paths should be overarching choices that effect ALL themes of the clan in a significant way. They should lay the foundation for a greater story and create more storytelling freedom, not narrow the clan's path down to just one thing. The Crane lore is too rich and vibrant to be reduced to a one-word theme. That's just one man's opinion, but that's how I feel.

I saw from the World's presentation that the Crane are getting two duelists as focus characters. Maybe that means we'll see more badass dueling in the future. I certainly hope so. But I also hope it's not at the cost of the other things that make the Crane interesting. I like the richness that our clan offers. I hope we get to keep it.
Former Story Team - Doji Tanitsu WC '07 - Doji Rinji WC '09 - GM Tenjin WC '12 & '14 - Sparrow Clan Advocate

Return to “General Discussion”