Concerns With Crane Story Direction

Casual conversations about anything you want!
Kakita Ijiwaru
Taisa
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Concerns With Crane Story Direction

Postby Kakita Ijiwaru » Wed May 06, 2015 9:37 pm

Doji Pheelyp
Taisa
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Doji Pheelyp » Thu May 07, 2015 4:12 am

Courtier * Doji Innocent * Loyal

Asahina Shimato
Chui

Postby Asahina Shimato » Thu May 07, 2015 7:41 am

Okay, here's my two cents. You make an artificial distinction between duelists and courtiers. I don't know why that is, but it's wrong. The courtiers draw a lot of their power (yes, even in the RPG) from the fact that their yojimbo can possibly outduel anybody else. I've used that to great effect as a courtier. That's what the Crane courtiers should be all about: Introducing the brown nagajuban into courtly fashion, so to speak.

On the other hand, duelists need a pretext to duel - you can't just go around and willy-nilly cut people down. Having scheming courtiers is the best way to get one. Courtiers are masters at arranging a social situation so that it allows the Crane to be the aggrieved party, giving them every right to ask for retribution.

As for your artificial RPG/CCG distinction, both camps want the same thing. We want the Crane to be awesome and SCARY. People should respect the Crane. If the courtiers don't seem to scare people as much as the duelists, well, that's an erroneous impression the story team needs to correct.

Edit: This looks like it would be a great representation of that concept. Can we haz reprint?
Last edited by Asahina Shimato on Thu May 07, 2015 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Doji Makoto
Taisa

Postby Doji Makoto » Thu May 07, 2015 7:51 am

Wise words.

I believe that the new story team will deal with it. But only time will tell.
"I am sure this will be a most interesting year."

Doji Azai
Chui

Postby Doji Azai » Thu May 07, 2015 3:48 pm

Tacticus, that is exactly the kind of. thing the 7th Sea loving GM in me wants to see.

Of course, on a mass scale it'd have to be smaller, but I like where your head is at.

And I love that this discussion is so varied and intelligent, yet seems to build some consensus.
C Thomas Hand
L5R Story Team (2015-2016)

Kakita Shiro
Daimyo

Postby Kakita Shiro » Thu May 07, 2015 4:32 pm

Bushi. Artisan. Duelist. Magistrate. Hatamoto.

Doji Pheelyp
Taisa

Postby Doji Pheelyp » Sat May 09, 2015 5:02 am

Courtier * Doji Innocent * Loyal

Martino
Taisa

Postby Martino » Sun May 10, 2015 2:52 pm

First, I divide duelists and courtiers because in both the RPG and CCG, they have been mechanically quite different, and in the stories of the past they have as well. Noritoshi was clearly not a courtier. His wife Mai was clearly not a duelist.

And yes, both player bases were drawn to the most effective mechanics. For many years Crane duelists were the defining element of the CCG. And the courtiers have always been dominant in the RPG. These aren't artificial, they're grounded in the nature of the two games.

I think the solution thematically would be for story to emphasize the pairing of courtiers and duelists. They should be constant partners in their efforts. Every story about one should also be about to other.

Who is Kakita Kae's yojimbo? Can he be a duelist? I think this would solve many of our dividing arguments.

Asahina Shimato
Chui

Postby Asahina Shimato » Mon May 11, 2015 10:20 pm

I fear that with yet another campaign of warfare at the expense of our political theme, we will probably not read courtier/duelist stories in a long while. While there is a path that would allow these themes to come to the forefront, it's tainted by association (I proposed a modification, but it appears people do not like it.)

It seems that we will have another Daidoji-themed arc.

Martino
Taisa

Postby Martino » Tue May 12, 2015 6:14 am

Whichever path we choose will be further refined down the line. I expect that the next stage of Path 1 will be a choice between scouts or duelists.

Return to “General Discussion”