The Left Hand's Path - Crane Story Paths

Casual conversations about anything you want!

Which of the will receive your vote?

Path 1 - To Do What We Must
38%
Path 2 - The Left Hand of the Emperor
17%
Path 3a - Salvation in the Colonies
6%
Path 3b - Salvation in Rokugan
38%

Total votes: 65

Daidoji Reiji
Chui
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: The Left Hand's Path - Crane Story Paths

Postby Daidoji Reiji » Sun May 10, 2015 6:11 pm

Crane Clan · Samurai · Yojimbo · Tactician

I was Ikoma Shinju at WC3, Daidoji Reiji at WC4
Top 8, Richmond VA Kotei 2015
Top 8, Charlotte NC Kotei 2015

Doji Yoshi
Hatamoto
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Doji Yoshi » Sun May 10, 2015 6:52 pm

To me, I think we should all try to pick option 1.

Option 1:
If you haven't read A Thousand Years of Darkness, then you don't fully understand why this is Crane's best option.
In addition to hundreds of other stories and focus on honor, Crane embody To Do What We Must.
The part about the culture has been an emphasis of the CCG Game for the last 8 years. And yet, the fact that this option has a limited CCG option is stupid IMO, but I'd rather a bad CCG mechanic and a good story than the reverse.
Option 2:
This is interesting in that what would happen if Crane chose this path. It had to be an option since all clans have the option to join Kanpeki's future empire.
Still, it's not a very Crane option. Crane have always been anti-Shadowlands by nature. Goodness and purity have embraced the faction. I just don't see Crane players picking this option.
Option 3:
This sounds to me very much like the French in WW2. And we should all know how that turned out.

Let me just end this post with a quote from the story:
"For the coward there is no life" (option 3), "for the hero there is no death" (option 1).
Crane Clan * Hatamoto No.1 * Villain

Martino
Taisa

Postby Martino » Sun May 10, 2015 7:08 pm

Doji Satevis
Chui

Postby Doji Satevis » Sun May 10, 2015 7:22 pm

Martino
Taisa

Postby Martino » Sun May 10, 2015 7:39 pm

The point about KYD isn't that we should fight pointlessly, it's that our role as diplomats isn't as relevant when there is an unquestioned villain. Not only could we never negotiate with a corrupted Emperor, but we also won't need to convince anyone to oppose him. I'm pretty certain that the clans will entirely oppose a corrupted Emperor Kanpeki.

At that point, the only thing left to do IS fight. EVERY clan will be devoting all of its supplies to the cause, and EVERY clan will be expected to devote whatever steel it can as well. This is a feudal setting, and samurai are at their core warriors and defenders of the system itself. A loss of wealth and resources sounds like they would naturally be devoted to this cause rather than saved for something else, which is fine by me.

This is going to be a fight, pure and simple. The last big fight was the Destroyer War, and we were almost left out because we had so few martial characters. There will be a time for us to focus all our resources on our political acumen, but I really do not think Onyx is going to be that time.

Doji Satevis
Chui

Postby Doji Satevis » Sun May 10, 2015 7:45 pm

Well, yes, option two is a trap; and I would never suggest allying with Kanpeki while and when he unleashes hell on earth.

There is still the necessity of having something and someone to fight for, and no sense to throw everything and everyone away to defeat that unquestioned villain only to have nothing remaining of Rokugan when the rubble settles and the dark is lifted.

But then you know my take on that well already I imagine *g*

Martino
Taisa

Postby Martino » Sun May 10, 2015 7:55 pm

This actually makes me wonder if the paths represent the entirety of what the clan is doing, or merely what is presented onscreen. If the Crane were still substantively working to care for and protect Rokugani culture, but the fictions themselves were more focused on the role of our duelists in the conflict, do you think people would be satisfied?

It's not that I want us to abandon culture, it's just that I think that storing works of art makes for a weak fiction.

Doji Satevis
Chui

Postby Doji Satevis » Sun May 10, 2015 8:07 pm

Asahina Shimato
Chui

Postby Asahina Shimato » Sun May 10, 2015 8:42 pm

Number 2 is so close to what we want, but with an unsustainable Emperor... But then again, do we know if Kanpeki is even going to lose? If he's anything like his father, he goes up against nine clans and ends up ruling the universe.

Number 1 is more about the Crane's phyrric victories. We're never going to shine on the battlefield, especially against clans like the Spider or Mantis. I've read that story before and it's beginning to aggravate me.

And Number 3 is just stupid.

Doji Yoshi
Hatamoto

Postby Doji Yoshi » Sun May 10, 2015 9:44 pm

Crane Clan * Hatamoto No.1 * Villain

Return to “General Discussion”