Rejoining the L5R Community

Casual conversations about anything you want!
Togashi Hotaru
Hohei
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Rejoining the L5R Community

Postby Togashi Hotaru » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:15 am

Hello everyone! I've been in and out of the L5R world since Jade, though tbh, it's been more out than in simply for lack of a good playgroup. I last played a lot during late Celestial/War of Honor, and am just now trying to jump back into things. I've always loved the thrill of the duel, and have played mostly Dragon and Crane as such.

I see we're already about half way through Ivory, but 20F being mostly dual bugged makes for a pretty good entry point I reckon. My question to the good folk of the Crane is thus: If eventually being Kotei-competitive is the goal, how should I plan to re-enter card wise? Would it suffice to just buy a starter display of 20F, followed by a box of THA in a few weeks? I worry that with the base set's larger cardpool (113 rares, 120+ uncommons), perhaps just a starter display would only scratch the surface? Would it be wiser to buy a starter display and a booster box of 20h, in addition to the upcoming box of THA? I'm not exactly loaded with cash or anything, but I do want to get up and running properly here.

So, how much is enough? Any advice or wisdom on this matter would be, as always, greatly appreciated!

Kakita Shiro
Daimyo

Re: Rejoining the L5R Community

Postby Kakita Shiro » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:28 am

I'd get just the one Crane Clan starter from 20F, then get a booster box of both it and Thunderous Acclaim. Then, using Oracle of the Void, look at the entire card pool and figure out what you want. Fill in any remaining blanks through trades and online singles retailers.
Bushi. Artisan. Duelist. Magistrate. Hatamoto.

MirumotoDaisuke
Shireikan
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby MirumotoDaisuke » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:45 am

You wouldn't happen to be Togashi Hotaru from WCIV, would you?

Also, where do you live, so that we can help you find a playgroup if necessary.
Dragon Clan • Artisan • Friend to the Crane • Samurai • Conqueror • Duelist • Kensai

Togashi Hotaru
Hohei

Postby Togashi Hotaru » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:12 pm

I live in central Vermont, in South Royalton. I'm close to both the Killington fall tournament and the spring Kotei in Lebanon New Hampshire. There is a stronghold store in Burlington Vermont, about an hour north of me, and apparently there is one in Newport New Hampshire, which is only 45 minutes or so south of me. I can't find any mention of L5R nights on either of the store's websites though, but there is hope! I'd love to find a group for regular games if one exists!

I've never been to a Winter Conference, so I fear I'm not the same. I also fear that someone else is out there walking around with my name, haha!

I figured getting a whole starter display would help flesh out the collection with some other rares like Brilliant Cascade Inn, and others worth having. I'd probably want a dragon deck too, of course ;-). I guess I was more asking as to whether or not just a starter display would be enough to have a good representation of 20f, or if it'd leave me wanting.

Daidoji Reiji
Chui

Postby Daidoji Reiji » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:19 pm

Each tin comes with 3 packs, so while it is not quite a booster it is still a good bit of cards- I bought a starter display instead of a box. You'll net at least one BCI from the Scorpion starter. Dueling can be a little tough right now outta Crane IMO (since everyone has high Chi) until we get Shinichi XP in ThA for another non unique 4 Chi Duelist.
Crane Clan · Samurai · Yojimbo · Tactician

I was Ikoma Shinju at WC3, Daidoji Reiji at WC4
Top 8, Richmond VA Kotei 2015
Top 8, Charlotte NC Kotei 2015

Togashi Hotaru
Hohei

Postby Togashi Hotaru » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:05 pm

Daidoji Reiji, did you end up with a ~more or less~ complete set of commons and uncommons by doing it that way? Also, any idea how many of the 113 rares you ended up with (27 from included packs, but how many more including the starters I wonder)?

Daidoji Reiji
Chui

Postby Daidoji Reiji » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:58 pm

Definite yes on commons, no on uncommons. I opened two boxes of Ivory and only ended up with 1 Kinta... but uncommons (outside of Forgotten Legacy) are cheap to buy online as singles. Most people, if you can find a community, will just give you spares as well.

Yeah, I am still missing a deal of rare cards (I have at least 1 copy of around half that I got from the tin, packs, kotei prize support, etc), but I typically only play honor or switch so it is easy to trade for what I need/want. I have a friend who has opened 150 some packs of 20F and seen no Temple of Destiny or Standing Fast. Also, invest in the Siege set and the new one coming up. The last one had some chase rares that alone made it worth the price, especially if you want to play extended.
Crane Clan · Samurai · Yojimbo · Tactician

I was Ikoma Shinju at WC3, Daidoji Reiji at WC4
Top 8, Richmond VA Kotei 2015
Top 8, Charlotte NC Kotei 2015

Togashi Hotaru
Hohei

Postby Togashi Hotaru » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:37 pm

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback!

Kakita Ijiwaru
Taisa

Postby Kakita Ijiwaru » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:20 pm

The uncommon cards in base sets are hard to get from boxes: I have had a similar problem. L5R players trade or donate to new players via the Facebook page though. Jeremy at playccg.com usually has sets of common and uncommon cards when they come out for around $20-30.

Kakita Shiro
Daimyo

Postby Kakita Shiro » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:45 am

Northeast US is a pretty generous place. You can literally show up to an event with nothing and build a deck out of borrowed cards.
Bushi. Artisan. Duelist. Magistrate. Hatamoto.

Return to “General Discussion”