help for a new player

Casual conversations about anything you want!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Doji Keiko
Hohei
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

help for a new player

Postby Doji Keiko » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:40 am

Hello fellow clanmembers,
I just started playing l5r and decided to play the crane clan. im not new to ccgs but feel i need a good startingpoint to learn the game. I like drawing cards and playing abit of a combo game what deck would you suggest for me to build? you anyone of you would like to share a good decklist with some knowlege of how to play it i would be extreamly helpful. What are the cranes competative crane decks? it seems to me its millitary but i my mind it would be a kind of hounor control deck of some sort. I want to get cards to build my deck what would you say is a good way to get the cards i need ? i have a 20F starter.

With kind regards
Doji Keiko

KakitaKaori
Shireikan

Re: help for a new player

Postby KakitaKaori » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:03 am

I fear I am no cardgamer at all so you don't want to ask me for help. However, welcome to the clan. To get yourself started, you might want to check on this board here....viewforum.php?f=6 and look at the decklists being posted. Theres lots of helpful advice.

Kakita Kaori
Golden Petal Village
Kakita Kaori
Kenshinzen of Golden Petal Village and overly prolific fiction writer
http://craneclan.weebly.com/
[Kakita Kyoumi/WC5]

Kakita Shiro
Daimyo

Postby Kakita Shiro » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:30 am

Find a store with active players. They'll be happy to offer you cards you need.

The best combo decks are Enlightenment decks, but only Dragon can play them with any degree of competitiveness. Other combo decks are involve special Event cards such as Victory of the Thunders or Claiming The Throne.

Crane's best deck right now is definitely military. Phoenix has the edge in Honor deck construction because of their more reliable card draw (via Destined and Expendable Personalities that they can resurrect from the discard pile).
Bushi. Artisan. Duelist. Magistrate. Hatamoto.

Doji Pheelyp
Taisa

Postby Doji Pheelyp » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:33 pm

Like Kaori, I too am no cardplayer and am myself still just thinking of learning how to play. Welcome though to the home of the Crane! :)

I'm curious - may we know what made you decide to pick this clan, Keiko?
Courtier * Doji Innocent * Loyal

Martino
Taisa

Postby Martino » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:43 pm

I would recommend you start with military. It is both our most consistent deck right now and it is also easier to learn and understand.

Doji Kuribe
Nikutai

Postby Doji Kuribe » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:28 pm

Honor and military are both pretty good for Crane right now. Sachina sensei military with geisha/geisha house support has been doing fairly well overall. did fairly well in Sheffield. There's also an interesting Crane/Scorpion build, also running Sachina sensei, that just made Top 16 at GenCon that you can see . is another Top 16 deck that can do honor and military that I would like to try out pretty soon myself. Honor rocket decks are also pretty good right now. They have a tough time against Mantis, but they can cross 40 really quick and put up, in my opinion, a better defense than Phoenix on the last decisive battle. There aren't a lot of recent ones posted, so here's one I've been testing and meaning to post on the forum. In the few games I've tested it's been super fast and has been able to cross fairly reliably with 2 or 3 provinces remaining.

# Pre-Game (1)

# Stronghold (1)
1 The Esteemed Palace of the Crane

# Dynasty (41)

# Holding (20)
3 Carpenter Shrine
1 Forgotten Legacy
3 Honored Sensei
3 Marketplace
2 Peaceful Retreat
3 Rhetorician
2 Temple Fortress
3 Temple of Destiny

# Personality (21)
3 Doji Buredo
2 Doji Dainagon
1 Doji Hoturi, Seven Thunder - exp2CW
1 Doji Makoto, the Smiling Blade - exp
2 Doji Natsuyo
2 Doji Norime
2 Doji Shirarou
1 Hida Kozan, Voice of the Empress
3 Otomo Demiyah
3 Otomo Terumoto
1 The Hooded Ronin, Descendant of Shinsei - expCW

# Fate (41)

# Follower (6)
3 Caravan Guards
3 Sparrow Clan Aide

# Ring (1)
1 Ring of Earth

# Strategy (34)
2 Absolution
3 An Honored Guest
2 Block Supply Lines
2 Come One at a Time
3 Control
3 Encircled Terrain
3 Inexplicable Challenge
3 Kharma's First Form
1 Progressive
3 Pure Intent
2 Spirited Dispute
3 The Path of Wisdom
2 Usurpation
2 Wheels within Wheels

Doji Keiko
Hohei

Postby Doji Keiko » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:42 am

I wanted to play a clan that do well but hasent to be the best clan. I like to play controly combo decks that draws lots of cards in other games. I like the feeling the crane have about being the best courtiers in the story at least and there estetics.
I viewed honour to be a kind of combo control that can draw cards and that the crane would be good at that. Nobody plays them were I live so its kind of a factor too. To be honest im torn on what to play I like phenix, and dragon too because i have played them in the rpg and love there story there. Im formost a RPG person and thats were i have the most experience with the L5R world. I like to test different things so that dosent help when you have about 9 clans to choose from and no real understanding of the game as a CCG (have played lots of magic thou)

Doji Pheelyp
Taisa

Postby Doji Pheelyp » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:32 am

I see. I'm glad that you were willing to give the Crane a try then. There are many ways of crushing one's enemies, but with the House of Doji, you look good doing it. :)

Those clans certainly have their appeal. We even have a handful of dedicated Dragon players around here on a regular basis, and the perspectives they bring to discussions are usually quite refreshing. So whatever clan you ultimately end up choosing, I hope we'd still see you here. :) But for now, there are lots of Crane here who'd be happy to help you sample all the Left Hand has to offer. :bow:
Courtier * Doji Innocent * Loyal

Return to “General Discussion”