April 19 Announcement: Mechanics and Design

Casual conversations about anything you want!
Doji Makoto
Taisa
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: April 19 Announcement: Mechanics and Design

Postby Doji Makoto » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:09 am

I do not like the dueling mechanics at all. Losing Honor by dueling? I thought that duel is one of the most honorable things one can do.

Of course, this could be offset by the card effects. But I am still baffled by this decision.
"I am sure this will be a most interesting year."

Kakita Shiro
Daimyo

Postby Kakita Shiro » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:24 am

Well, winning a duel is honorable. Just being in one is merely cool.
Bushi. Artisan. Duelist. Magistrate. Hatamoto.

Himoto
Gunso
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Himoto » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:53 am

And it depeonds how you act in the duel. Resorting to dirty tricks or poisoned weapons, or naming a dueling style that is not traditional but give you a gross advantage, or trying to maim or kill your opponent in a duel to the first blood...that,s not honorable.

We can assume that's what the "5" stands for on the honor dial.

MirumotoDaisuke
Shireikan

Postby MirumotoDaisuke » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:35 am

Like bringing a no-daichi to a duel. Or a Tetsubo (RIP Mirumoto Satsu - OR IS HE?)
Dragon Clan • Artisan • Friend to the Crane • Samurai • Conqueror • Duelist • Kensai

Doji Makoto
Taisa

Postby Doji Makoto » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:52 am

I guess I was trying to say that you are supposed to behave honorably in the duel and that the winner gets even more praise. I would think that the percentage of people who would use the mentioned dirty tricks is very low. But the rule as it is written actually supports this unhonorable behaviour.

But then I thought about it more, and realised that you cannot simply throw 5 honor to every bid (be it for cards, duels etc.). Especially when you are playing against the Crane, because you really do not want to feed them even more honor.

Thus, I still do not like the dueling mechanics, but I look forward to the new honor system. I love how it permeates every aspect of the game - from card draw to the death of characters.
"I am sure this will be a most interesting year."

Kakita Shiro
Daimyo

Postby Kakita Shiro » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:18 pm

Mono no aware keeps making me think of Hamilton: The Musical.

"Daidoji-san, do not throw away your shot."

MirumotoDaisuke
Shireikan

Postby MirumotoDaisuke » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:22 pm

Dragon Clan • Artisan • Friend to the Crane • Samurai • Conqueror • Duelist • Kensai

ObsidianCrane
Gunso

Postby ObsidianCrane » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:24 pm

So provinces:

So looks like the +2 on the Stronghold is an increase in province strength; though given the statement of 3-6 turn games and the low values on the personalities, combined with you loosing when your SH is broken makes the idea it's just the SH province work as well.

It's interesting to see the Ring symbols on the bottom of the cards, given Rings are declared for conflicts.

The Clan Mons make me think some Provinces have Clan restrictions as well.

Kakita Shiro
Daimyo

Postby Kakita Shiro » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:48 am

The prevailing theory is that you have to have five different elements for the five provinces.

Kakita Karasu
Gunso

Postby Kakita Karasu » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:27 pm

So question: if a char costs 3 fate does he last 3 turns or just 1?
Emerald Champion WC 2017DuelistPistoleer • Crane Clan • Samurai • Soul of Shiba Mako WC 4
Raised Eyebrow of Derision
Winter Court 5 Iaijutsu Champion

Return to “General Discussion”