Leaving the Site Behind

Official updates and announcements for the forums and important L5R information.
ObsidianCrane
Gunso

Leaving the Site Behind

Postby ObsidianCrane » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:04 pm

I have realized I'm pretty much done with L5R.

Its been part of my life since December in 1998, just in time to be part of the first ever Global Storyline Event in January 1999 (won by a different Crane player locally). I played actively, and competitively for the next 10 years. I ran the first Regional Storyline tournament for Australia, I ran the first Kotei in Queensland and I built the play base over again a couple of times as well. I even managed to win a tournament at the end of 2009 that got my name on a card (that no one other than me ever played) and the Story Team kindly made my Winter Court 1 character cannon, including her goal of marrying Nagori and killed her off wonderfully, she even got a card (which my deck where I won a card included, again I was the only person to play it).

Over 2009 I started moving away from the game until by the end of 2010 I basically wasn't playing. In 2011 work moved me away and I didn't get back to an area with an L5R scene until 2014. But as last year went on it became clear that I just didn't care about the thing that held me in L5R for a long time; the story. Without the story I might as well play MtG, at least then the LGS is 15 minutes away in bad traffic. There are no (Crane) cards whose mechanics make me want to play them and no personalities whose story I care about to want to play them "because they are cool". The retirement of the fan site preview program also means I have nothing to really hold me to the site here either.

So I'm moving into a background mode while I wait to see if IvE2 delivers on the promises of Worlds and if I don't feel that playing IvE2 is going to give me what I want move on completely from L5R, and even if it does deliver more of what I want I will be remaining a casual player anyway.

As such I need a new owner for the Home of the Crane Clan, the site, in its current state will remain here, but I will do no maintenance etc. The domain name lapses in the middle of the year and I will not be renewing it if no other owner has come forward in that time. If you are interested I will be checking this thread for the next week or two, but after that it will be necessary to message me on Facebook.

Play with honor.

Have fun.

Regards
John Pope

gaijin
Nikutai
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Leaving the Site Behind

Postby gaijin » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:12 pm

Oh, wow, so this day has finally come.

It's been a pleasure to share clan colours with you, John, for all these years.

For all the work you've done for the l5r and the Crane community, and for being the great person you are, thank you.

Take care.

Regards,
f

Kakita Shiro
Daimyo

Postby Kakita Shiro » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:57 pm

Thanks for all that you've done for the Crane and for the L5R community. If my own situation were a little less complicated, I'd snap up the domain myself.
Bushi. Artisan. Duelist. Magistrate. Hatamoto.

Doji Kuribe
Nikutai
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Doji Kuribe » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:06 pm

I've only recently returned to L5R, I'm almost a total unknown here and on the AEG forums, I'm strongly considering switching to Scorpion for competitive play, and currently I'm more interested in the storylines of the Scorpion, Spider, and Mantis but the Crane will always be MY clan. I have free time, I'm fairly tech savvy, and I would enjoy being more involved in the L5R community, especially since the scene in Albuquerque is struggling.

I would be interested in taking over the clan forums. I doubt I'm the most worthy candidate, but I am very interested and would appreciate, when you have the chance, for you to PM me some details about the site. I'm not great with website, coding type things so layman's terms would be nice, plus any info about costs and other relevant details.

Asahina Dreamspoiler
Daimyo

Postby Asahina Dreamspoiler » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:39 am

I see this happening more and more. The Mantis site (or at least one of them) is similarly folding. I have played the game on and off since 1996, when it first came out. The story is what drew me in every time. The story is in a slump at the moment, and I am disalluslioned myself for various reasons.

I hate to see this fan site go though, as well as the Mantis. The Crane boards have long been one the most active and diverse boards out there. I would be interested in taking things over or at least assisting whomever does pick it up. I am a graphic designer by profession and a powder blue through and through. When you have time or inclination, would love a pm or email about this.

Thank you for all your dedication to this site and the powder blue cause. You will be missed!

UTZ!

Jace Mæl de Vörst
aka Dreamspoiler/Tonbo Kitai
*I was Tonbo Kitai at Winter Court III*

Asahina Shimato
Chui

Postby Asahina Shimato » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:33 pm

I feel the same way. What drew me to the game and the community was the fiction. The individual fictions are sorely lacking in quantity even though the quality is great, you can't blame excellent writers like Robert Denton for the general malaise of the brand. I have been a fan of the L5R story for years, and something struck me when reading John's farewell: I never understood who decides to take the story where. This is just an outsider's uninformed opinion, but to me it always felt as if the story team had no real say in the really important story decisions, it felt as if they were just the ones executing somebody elses decisions. Something has really changed for the worse here.

As a consequence, the story feels directionless, there's a palpably formulaic approach to the story arcs - there are no surprises left. It was just resolution of story prize after awful story prize. As a consequence, there are no characters to identify with, because somebody decided to leave the most important building block of a good story to the community at large.
Now, a formulaic treatment can still be very successful. The real problem is the suspension of disbelief in the reader. My own has been repeatedly kicked in the 'nads and I'm as cynical about the story as I have ever been.

Anyway, sorry for disgressing. John, you are a giant among men and if I ever make it to Australia, I will buy you a beer for everything you have done to this community. I know, it won't make you feel better, but you are not leaving us behind, you're just closing the shop after pretty much everyone left.

Slaven
Hohei

Postby Slaven » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:00 pm

I wish you the best of luck, John. The community will miss you.

ObsidianCrane
Gunso

Postby ObsidianCrane » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:16 am

Thanks Randy, and everyone else for the kind words.

I am still lurking around, failure to contact folks is not a sign I haven't seen your post. One of the people I know has been in touch and once they confirm one way or the other then I will get back to people.

Himoto
Gunso

Postby Himoto » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:18 am

The problem with the story, from my end (*and it's driven me away much the same as John) is that the ST doesn't have nearly enough control over it.

Like Shimato, I get the distinct feeling overarching plot arcs are largely influenced by others at AEG over ST (though I could be wrong), and the same elements of AEG are desperately trying to put control over everything else in players hand. Leaving the ST to decide how to implement these plot threads and player wins, ie cleaning up other people's mess.

Even if you cloned all the greatest writers in history, no one could do much in that kind of situation.

Otomo
Hohei

Postby Otomo » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:22 pm

Is the front page wordpress, something easy to update? I'm no web guy or anything like that but I don't mind fronting a cost or keeping this board open, updating when I can.

I've had a glimpse of some story stuff on the horizon just from doing what I'm doing GMing winter court (not official, not part of the team, nothing like that). I can tell you, they've got AWESOME people lined up, and some cool stuff being alluded to in winter court right now. For those really into the story, I would place bets wer'e about to enter a new golden age.

Return to “News”