Fantasy Flight buys Legend of the Five Rings

Official updates and announcements for the forums and important L5R information.
Doji Pheelyp
Taisa
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Fantasy Flight buys Legend of the Five Rings

Postby Doji Pheelyp » Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:14 am

Courtier * Doji Innocent * Loyal

Asahina Shimato
Chui
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Asahina Shimato » Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:20 am

:shock:

As unexpected as this is, Fantasyflightgames has a terrific crew that puts out extremely high quality games and artwork. Their Star Wars line is amazing. I'm sure you are more familiar with their LCGs as I am, I've heard they are pretty good. They also have some experience in organizing events, even though how that pans out remains to be seen.
Call me a heretic if you must, but as developers, I like them even better than AEG.

As a devout convert to the new Star Wars RPG, I've been on the Fantasyflightgames forums before, so I won't re-register. My user name there is Gran Solo. See you over there!

SpookyElectric
Nikutai

Postby SpookyElectric » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:23 am

Former Story Team - Doji Tanitsu WC '07 - Doji Rinji WC '09 - GM Tenjin WC '12 & '14 - Sparrow Clan Advocate

Corbeau
Nikutai

Postby Corbeau » Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:31 am

'Sup. It's been a while.

Apparently there are totally new forums since last year. And more recently, new management for the site. Definitely a lot changing - but there's one obvious and enormous change that's compelled me to return and look at all the rest. Specifically, the announcement of an L5R LCG.

Not quite the news that I expected, though I'm incredibly excited. I tried to get L5R running locally several times before, and partially succeeded back in the Samurai arc (when I was active in this site's community), but couldn't make it stick. The CCG market is dominated by Magic here in Seattle; there's just no real room for other options. LCGs, on the other hand... Netrunner made it huge here, and there are more Doomtown players around than L5R players, so I fully expected AEG to switch L5R over to the ECG format after experimenting with Doomtown. I never expected the game to be sold to FFG though, much less to be optimistic about the game changing hands.

See, I was a fanatical Netrunner player for about two years after the game came out. I did get frustrated with some of the choices FFG made (non-rotation of the core set, mostly) and haven't played recently, but I never had the same attachment to the Netrunner setting that I do to L5R. If FFG can put the same level of design into the new L5R that they did into Netrunner, then the game will be good - and the way they've handled Netrunner also suggests that they'll be willing and able to keep storyline LCG events running. Netrunner events never stood up to L5R story events, but I think that's partly because Netrunner has far more amorphous fluff; the Netrunner world isn't fleshed out the way that 20 years of L5R has enriched Rokugan.

It'll be a rough wait until 2017, but I'm thrilled because it means I'll be able to actually play again. The CCG model is, IMO, dead unless your name is Wizards of the Coast, but an LCG... yeah. Yeah, I can convince people to play an LCG - and I'll even be able to afford to play too! :lol:

Doji Satevis
Chui

Postby Doji Satevis » Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:28 pm

I decide to walk away from active L5R for various of reasons, and not two months later this happens. Time to peek out again.

An interesting development! I'm looking forward to seeing what FFG may do with the rpg side of L5R; and a LCG may be the draw for me which the existing schema has not succeeded with. I've heard good things about FFG's work.

The Atlas will top off 4e, and that will keep me going over the two year break.

And, indeed, the signs and hints do seem to have been creeping about for some time, in hindsight, I'd have to agree.

Faris Kalin
Nikutai

Postby Faris Kalin » Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:12 pm

Player of Asahina Farisu at WC 3

Suzume Kaishaku
Hohei

Postby Suzume Kaishaku » Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:00 am

Well, bah at this new message board then. Just had a rather long & heartfelt post typed up about why this event is no bad thing. Then I click to post it and get "You need to login in order to reply to topics within this forum" with no way to retrieve what I'd typed up.

Well, that was a splash of cold water after a few minutes of happy nostalgia.

Anyway, this is no bad thing. If I can find the energy I'll retype the longer post later.

Asahina Dreamspoiler
Daimyo

Postby Asahina Dreamspoiler » Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:10 am

Sorry, you lost your post. Sometimes you can click back and it will have kept what you typed.
*I was Tonbo Kitai at Winter Court III*

Kakita Kasukaru
Taisa

Postby Kakita Kasukaru » Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:56 pm

I'd like to be optimistic. Let's wait and see. Also, let's all go to Athens for the very last European Championship!
Kakita Kasukaru
RPG mostly / French * Greece

Hida Shirin
Gunso

Postby Hida Shirin » Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:42 pm

I can accept that the sale is probably the best thing AEG can do for L5R, and FFG is in the best position to convert L5R into LCG.

Just really frustrated by the abruptness of the announcement. I have been buying singles in preparation for Onyx, and this was a major kick in the teeth.

I wish there was some transitional plan agreed between the two companies where Onyx Ed becomes the last set by AEG in 2016 and it directly or indirectly feeds into the relaunch in 2017. It also cuts the hiatus down to 1 year, which is acceptable to me.

And we can have farewell tournaments for AEG in 2016. I am sure the fans will support these to thank AEG for the great experience and fond memories.

They should also wrap up the story side of things and maybe have an open-ended finale.

IMO the transition could have been handled so much better, not this abrupt, unexpected bombshell in your face. Not surprised that they closed the forums to escape the backlash.

Return to “News”