Fantasy Flight buys Legend of the Five Rings

Official updates and announcements for the forums and important L5R information.
SpookyElectric
Nikutai

Re: Fantasy Flight buys Legend of the Five Rings

Postby SpookyElectric » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:05 pm

If anyone here would like to see the in-progress L5R novel published in the interim, my suggestion is to let FF know.

Regarding the game itself, I have no concerns. Fantasy Flight is a competent company with staff that are longtime fans of L5R. I think the game will be good and the franchise will thrive. I only hope most current players will give FF a fair chance.
Former Story Team - Doji Tanitsu WC '07 - Doji Rinji WC '09 - GM Tenjin WC '12 & '14 - Sparrow Clan Advocate

Himoto
Gunso
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Himoto » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:28 pm

If they give the honor victory (in some form) its place as a competitive victory condition, I'm willing to at least take a very close look at the game.

That's my main concern. An excellently designed win-by-destroying-opponent game may be the best crafted game there ever was, but it can never be L5R to me.

Kakita Isao
Gunso
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Kakita Isao » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:36 pm

A LCG opposed to a CCG is a good idea. Its better for the consumer. However, Honor, Dishonor and Enlightenment victories are important to L5R. I could live without Enlightenment but Honor and Dishonor need to stay.
Samurai • Duelist • Tattooed • Unique

Kakita Shiro
Daimyo

Postby Kakita Shiro » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:47 pm

A Game of Thrones has a Power mechanic that you must accumulate to win the game, but the threshold is lower and you can win it even without issuing Power challenges.
Bushi. Artisan. Duelist. Magistrate. Hatamoto.

Asahina Dreamspoiler
Daimyo

Postby Asahina Dreamspoiler » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:32 pm

I think Honor and Dishonor could be combined as one victory condition, but Enlightenment needs to around still.
*I was Tonbo Kitai at Winter Court III*

Kakita Isao
Gunso

Postby Kakita Isao » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:12 pm

I for one welcome our new Fantasy Flight Games overlords.

kakita yuha
Gunso

Postby kakita yuha » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:19 pm

I feel pessimistic about this. I believe we just saw the end on L5R.

Two years break means no new players, many move for other games and some just decide to have real life.

Also I find name of last expansion ironically fitting to the situation.

I hope I'm wrong, it has been fun 18 years for me (started playing this game from Anvil of Despair), but I guess nothing lasts forever.

Kakita Onimaru
Site Admin

Postby Kakita Onimaru » Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:42 am

Im am choosing to remain optimistic here. If we are going to be honest, L5R has been is a real bad spot for a real long time. And AEG just didn't have the resources to pull it back (without sacking all their other very successful games). So, if the option is to either sell to FFG or let the game continue to and die, then i chose this option.

And I really dont think the the 2 year gap will kill the game. What it may kill is the interest of people who are playing NOW. But FFG has access to a bunch of resources to do a proper relaunch and a built in fanbase to give it new life. There are a lot of people who will try this just because it will be FFG "new" game in 2017, and thats not insignificant.

My worry, like many others, is that I hope they don't gut everything that makes this game special. Everything that drives this great community, and the story we have all built together.

I don't want to be forgotten to make way for something new.
If you're having Crane problems I feel bad for you son,
I've got 99 problems but a duel ain't one!

Kakita Isao
Gunso

Postby Kakita Isao » Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:25 am

We will see less Story Prizes I'm sure, but that means more of them will be meaningful.

Doji Pheelyp
Taisa

Postby Doji Pheelyp » Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:13 am

Courtier * Doji Innocent * Loyal

Return to “News”