Fantasy Flight buys Legend of the Five Rings

Official updates and announcements for the forums and important L5R information.
Asahina Dreamspoiler
Daimyo
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Fantasy Flight buys Legend of the Five Rings

Postby Asahina Dreamspoiler » Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:30 pm

I will agree with you on this. While I realize they wanted/needed to make the announcement of the sale (preferably before it leaked some other way), making the announcement with no plans in place or answers for some of the most obvious and basic questions is what has made this so jarring for so many of the playerbase. Sadly, it also places FFG in an odd spot.

I also understand their reasons for taking down the AEG forums, but it just underlines the fact that this announcement was poorly planned, and greatly increases the uncertainty that a lot of players are feeling.

Let's hope those 'updates' we are supposed to get 'early' this week come on Monday, early. Some of the posts on Facebook are getting volatile.
*I was Tonbo Kitai at Winter Court III*

Kakita Isao
Gunso
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Kakita Isao » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:21 pm

John Zinser going on an around the world 60 day vacation at the same time of the announcement was interesting.
Samurai • Duelist • Tattooed • Unique

Hida Shirin
Gunso

Postby Hida Shirin » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:04 am

Dare
Daimyo

Postby Dare » Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:16 am

The astute among you may have noticed that actually, the FFG announcement was posted FIRST.

Most likely, AEG's poor response was a scrambled response to the FFG announcement. It sounds like it wasn't coordinated between the 2 of them tbh.

Kakita Isao
Gunso

Postby Kakita Isao » Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:03 am

John Zinser must be rolling in a pile of money from the sale, what with his around the world vacation the day before the announcement.

SpookyElectric
Nikutai

Postby SpookyElectric » Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:25 pm

He also announced that vacation on his Facebook page before GenCon, which based on what Dave has said, means his trip was planned before the sale to FF was even conceived, much less agreed upon.

It also takes a little longer than a few days to plan a trip around the world... especially one coinciding with one's birthday. It's not like the movies where you can just get up and go. Traveling to just one country requires a lot of planning and paperwork and such, just imagine how much it requires to travel to multiple countries! Based on the evidence, I don't think his trip and the sale of the franchise are connected.

I'm as surprised by this move as you are, and I have emotional reactions to this acquisition as well, but let's not make baseless insinuations. We're better than that. :)
Former Story Team - Doji Tanitsu WC '07 - Doji Rinji WC '09 - GM Tenjin WC '12 & '14 - Sparrow Clan Advocate

Kakita Sauske
Hohei

Postby Kakita Sauske » Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:30 pm

Well I'm honestly excited, L5R has been limping by in the barest sense of the word since EE and I'm happy that they (finally) decided that they can't do it anymore and let it go.

FF is the company that proved the LCG format is viable for market so if anyone can resuscitate this game it's them. The two years is a bummer but meh, we'll live and I'm sure being the Son of Heaven's left hand will once again be made fun.
Crane Clan · Samurai · Duelist · Paragon of Honor

Kakita Isao
Gunso

Postby Kakita Isao » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:41 pm

Spooky, how else am I supposed to spread conspiracy theories without baseless insinuations?

Asahina Shimato
Chui

Postby Asahina Shimato » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:45 am

See, what I have trouble wrapping my head around is the fact that everybody at L5R worked their asses off to get us excited for Onyx and to get us the best possible stories ever, that will now probably never see the light of day. They obviously weren't in on it.

It seems that everybody was just stunned by this revelation. You'd think that you give your closest collaborators a heads up. Pretty much the entire lead up to Onyx is vaporware now, for all we know. Little bit disappointed that they got the hype machine going for that, maybe just to demonstrate their potential buyers what an active playerbase is still attached to the brand.

Doji Pheelyp
Taisa

Postby Doji Pheelyp » Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:31 am

Indeed. How those who have worked so hard on Onyx the past few months have been left hanging... does not seem to be how one should treat one's friends. :(
Courtier * Doji Innocent * Loyal

Return to “News”