Her Father's Daughter

For discussions on official fictions and fan-fictions alike.
Daidoji Reiji
Chui

Re: Her Father's Daughter

Postby Daidoji Reiji » Thu May 18, 2017 11:23 am

Daidoji Tacticus wrote:Good points.

I can see the nuance there in the reasoning for why she acts how she does, but it's more the skeleton of both characters that I am concerned with. For instance, I'm suspicious her husband who is out dealing with Yoritomo is going to be a kitsune spirit and former member of the Fox Clan (to tie that back into the AEG canon with Ameiko). What if Dairu ends up being the trueborn son of Shoju and the source of strife between the lovers, or maybe Hotaru has a child of her own that gets killed by Shoju or Kachiko?

Those are just assumptions obviously, but based on the one fiction we have so far I am a bit tepid going into the next one. I want to see how this version with these characters is largely different than the AEG canon, so rewinding and starting off the FFG iteration here doesn't feel as much like a blatant attempt at evoking nostalgia of the "golden era."
Crane Clan · Samurai · Yojimbo · Tactician

I was Ikoma Shinju at WC3, Daidoji Reiji at WC4
Top 8, Richmond VA Kotei 2015
Top 8, Charlotte NC Kotei 2015

Drudenfusz
Nikutai

Postby Drudenfusz » Thu May 18, 2017 9:58 pm

I look at it like a re-imagination, basically like the Battlestar Galactica show a few years back, that many things will look very similar and some characters might eb gender changed now, but what matters is not the premise but how the story will unfold over time. And I am sure the differences will increase and I look forward towards that.
Artisan. Courtier. Duelist.
The wiki to the L5R LCG!

Daidoji Reiji
Chui

Postby Daidoji Reiji » Fri May 19, 2017 4:10 am

I don't mind the gender change; it's more what's the point if we're gonna be mostly retold the same story again? I don't like reboots in video games or movies either, so I am a bit conditioned in my skepticism.

I probably won't be super invested in things until the story takes a harsh turn from the old one, it's just a matter of when I think.
Crane Clan · Samurai · Yojimbo · Tactician

I was Ikoma Shinju at WC3, Daidoji Reiji at WC4
Top 8, Richmond VA Kotei 2015
Top 8, Charlotte NC Kotei 2015

Tetsuro
Gunso

Postby Tetsuro » Fri May 19, 2017 4:26 am

Daidoji Tacticus wrote:Hoturi deals with his daddy issues by drinking, womanising, and general frivolity (which naturally leads Satsume to lash out at him more, and on and on it goes). Hotaru, it would seem, deals with them by pushing herself ever harder to live up to the expectations of a father who's no longer there to respond.

I think you are seeing the effects of not having Toshimoko's influence as a surrogate father figure for Hotaru like he was for Hoturi. I seriously doubt they let Hotaru galavant around the country unsupervised with Toshimoko training, let alone drinking and womanizing. It probably also explains why she seems more comfortable with a polearm than a katana, as she wasn't trained by the greatest dueling in the Empire as intensely as Hoturi was.
Jeremy Sumerlin
L5R CCG Design Team, 2012-2015

Kakita Michito
Nikutai

Postby Kakita Michito » Fri May 19, 2017 8:18 am

Tetsuro wrote:It probably also explains why she seems more comfortable with a polearm than a katana, as she wasn't trained by the greatest dueling in the Empire as intensely as Hoturi was.

Hoturi, and alot of Crane, like polearms quite a lot. He, his father and his brother are often depicted with one.

Fun fact: The False Hoturi wasn't. If only their was a Doji Poirot who could have spotted the discrepancy.

Tetsuro
Gunso

Postby Tetsuro » Fri May 19, 2017 2:45 pm

Kakita Michito wrote:
Tetsuro wrote:It probably also explains why she seems more comfortable with a polearm than a katana, as she wasn't trained by the greatest dueling in the Empire as intensely as Hoturi was.

Hoturi, and alot of Crane, like polearms quite a lot. He, his father and his brother are often depicted with one.

Fun fact: The False Hoturi wasn't. If only their was a Doji Poirot who could have spotted the discrepancy.

I actually made this point on the FFG forums when someone complained that having Hotaru use a polearm made her nothing like Hoturi the master duelist. I had to point out that Hoturi is depicted using a polearm in every Personality card he ever got, including his ancestor.
Jeremy Sumerlin

Doji Azai
Chui

Postby Doji Azai » Fri May 19, 2017 2:58 pm

I thoroughly enjoyed the fiction. I posted a response to the initial FB posting.

The TL;DR is that I like FFG stating what they wanted to portray (Honor/Duty/Et al Vs Personal Emotion/Desires/Human component) and then their first fiction attempted to portray that detail.
C Thomas Hand
L5R Story Team (2015-2016)

Kakita_Jiro
Hohei

Postby Kakita_Jiro » Sat May 20, 2017 10:18 pm

Extremely unhappy with this. Very disappointed with Fantasy Flight. It's a pity, I so loved playing Crane for a solid ten years. I feel like an old friend is gone.
Kakita Jiro
0/3
6/8/4
Crane Clan Artisan•Shugenja•Water•Unique
Open: Bow Jiro, target an honorable duelist you control and duel an opposing personality. Bow the loser. The winner gains 2 honor. If this is a battle, send both personalities home after.

Tetsuro
Gunso

Postby Tetsuro » Sun May 21, 2017 3:08 am

Kakita_Jiro wrote:Extremely unhappy with this. Very disappointed with Fantasy Flight. It's a pity, I so loved playing Crane for a solid ten years. I feel like an old friend is gone.

Is it because Doji Hoturi is gone? I mean, that's your right to react that way, but having played since pre-Imperial days I can't understand anyone really being attached to Hoturi's Personality, since it was pretty paper thin during the time he was alive in the CCG.
Jeremy Sumerlin

Kakita_Jiro
Hohei

Postby Kakita_Jiro » Sun May 21, 2017 1:02 pm

Tetsuro wrote:Is it because Doji Hoturi is gone? I mean, that's your right to react that way, but having played since pre-Imperial days I can't understand anyone really being attached to Hoturi's Personality, since it was pretty paper thin during the time he was alive in the CCG.

It's not from missing Hoturi. For me, Kurohito was always my favorite champion. I will just say that I dislike this story immensely.
Kakita Jiro
0/3
6/8/4
Crane Clan Artisan•Shugenja•Water•Unique
Open: Bow Jiro, target an honorable duelist you control and duel an opposing personality. Bow the loser. The winner gains 2 honor. If this is a battle, send both personalities home after.

Return to “Fiction”