L5R - The Duty of War - A Post Winter Court 5 story

For discussions on official fictions and fan-fictions alike.
KakitaKaori
Taisa

Re: L5R - The Duty of War - A Post Winter Court 5 story

Postby KakitaKaori » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:46 am

I like! The return of Shimikiri.
Kakita Kaori
Kenshinzen of Golden Petal Village and overly prolific fiction writer
http://craneclan.weebly.com/
[Kakita Kyoumi/WC5]

Kakita_Harun
Chui

Postby Kakita_Harun » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:28 pm

Yup. Been waiting to to that for soooooo long.

Kakita_Harun
Chui

Postby Kakita_Harun » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:05 am

Harun saw Hitomi the next morning when he was on the way back from drills. The sun was coming up, drying the dew as it sparkled in the summer light. It all the makings of a hot day. They passed the Shiro where the Taisa’s and Emerald Champion’s tent were and Harun saw her there. He stopped.
“I’ll catch up later,” Harun said, going over to her.
Hitomi watched as he approached. “Harun,” she said.
“Mother,” he said, bowing and smiling. “I didn’t know you were here.”
“I just came in last night, but had to see you before I leave,” she said. She looked him up and down. “I can see the change in you already, the last year was good for you.”
“Is it that obvious?” Harun asked, a little worried. “I have been told that I brought the Moto in me back from the Unicorn lands.”
“It was always there, Harun, you just became more confident with yourself,” she said.
As they walked around the camp, he told her about the year he had spent travelling. Visiting the Dragon, the Lion and of course the Unicorn. Shiro Moto, Majid, City of the Rich Frog, the ritual with Zetsubou…Hitomi listened to it all patiently, and it there was something missing in his narrative she didn’t comment.
When Harun finished, Hitomi was thoughtful.
“So through all this, all the people you have talked to that knew your mother Yamada, I want to ask you this: why do you think she chose to leave you in our care?” Hitomi asked,
Harun felt a lump forming in his throat. “She…she wanted me to have a family, I guess. Like she had had.”
“Yes, bit that’s not all,” said Hitomi. “There is something else, why she went to this terrible duty with Shiba Michio and the Black Hand. Do you know what this is?”
Thinking back to the talk he had with Zetsubou the night before he died, Harun nodded. “It was so no one else had to do it.”
Hitomi nodded. “What you were taught at the dojo, Harun, was very clear cut in how we should act in accordance with traditions and bushido,” she said. “But you know now that the world doesn’t always work like that.”
“It doesn’t,” Harun said. “But that doesn’t mean we should not live these virtues.”
Hitomi laughed slightly. “You sound like your father, though he has learned and I hope you will too that there are necessary things that happen to win a war.”
They came to one of the training yards where there were Daidoji at a firearms range. They fired at paper targets held on poles, each one painted with a snarling oni’s face. They fired their weapons and reloaded, the latter taking what seemed to Harun a lot of time for just one shot.
Harun watched Daidoji Akemi there, standing a decent distance from the target and firing her taneshagima. It hit the oni face in the eye.
Hitomi nodded in approval.

Three days after Hitomi left, Karasu watched much of the First Legion head out again, and Harun with them. Harun went with a light heart and a smile, leaving Karasu’s heart heavy.

Return to “Fiction”