Twenty Festivals part III - Letting Them Have Your Way

For discussions on official fictions and fan-fictions alike.
Doji Azai
Chui
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Twenty Festivals part III - Letting Them Have Your Way

Postby Doji Azai » Sun May 10, 2015 9:24 pm

While it does pain me to hear negative critique, it is quite important.

I do tend to craft too much exposition and some of it can bleed over. I wrote a lot of that while also talking to you guys about other things, so there was some...overlap.

Please do not take comments below as a negative response to your criticism. I would rather hear a dozen "this sucks" comments with suggestions on why than not hear anything at all.

A few brief notes, notes:
- Natsuyo wasn't speaking in a theoretical way. You will see some clear and definite reactions to some of the things mentioned here very soon (possibly even this week depending on how quickly the first Kotei fictions get put up). Your concern that the story ended without resolution should be partially satisfied when you see those fictions. The Deeds, Not Words aspect you desire will also be sated. Well, hopefully - I can't always guarantee what opinions will differ.
- I did actually read through Kakita Takara's old fiction. I am quite paranoid of jacking up an old author's work. However, part of what is mentioned here occurs because of the Crane win of the Maniacal Slaughter storyline tournament. The winner chose Kakita Takara to receive a blade from Toshigoku. It has altered her somewhat from previous incarnations.

The fiction touches upon/introduces into story three different Crane wins as well:
Dainagon,Turquoise Championship:

Nunzo's Noodles:

Kakita Takara, the Maniacal Slaughter:

Please feel free to continue commenting. I am taking the remarks under consideration.
C Thomas Hand
L5R Story Team (2015-2016)

Doji Satevis
Chui
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Doji Satevis » Sun May 10, 2015 9:34 pm

The Maniacal Slaughter resolution does explain things in regards to Takara, I feel.

I do wish to note with some wry amusement that it feels a little like gifting with one hand, taking with the other, mind you, to finally have a Kenshinzen again -- but she happens to be somewhat unhinged by her sword.

Doji Azai
Chui

Postby Doji Azai » Sun May 10, 2015 9:43 pm

She won't be the only one, but it takes time to work them back in. I'm keeping it fresh at the top of the Crane list.
C Thomas Hand
L5R Story Team (2015-2016)

Doji Satevis
Chui

Postby Doji Satevis » Sun May 10, 2015 9:45 pm

Doji Makoto
Taisa

Postby Doji Makoto » Mon May 11, 2015 12:04 am

Yeah, the nod to the players was weird ("you don't need offices").
But I loved the idea of fostering the child and that Dainagon gained more power (as a direct consultant of Seiken). I hope we will see her using it! ;-)
"I am sure this will be a most interesting year."

Daidoji Tacticus
Daimyo

Postby Daidoji Tacticus » Mon May 11, 2015 12:27 am

I have to agree with everyone who sympathised with Kae's irritation at being lectured to. All the more so when the lecture could have been taken word-for-word from the author's posts here - putting Hand in the position of Natsuyo and readers in the position of Kae, which made "be quiet and listen for a moment." come across... poorly. Especially when combined with Kae's general obtuseness throughout. She figured out the fostering plan without needing it spelled out, at least, but did that have to be the only thing? Could she not have held her own anywhere? If she is a potential Imperial Consort, she needs to be credible in her own right, not just someone to be prodded and lectured in the right direction.

Also, after a whole lot of promises that we would see Crane methods used effectively (rather than just talked about) real soon now, seeing a fiction go up without it and hearing it again is rather wearing. Depending on the other imminent fictions Hand is talking about, this concern might be assuaged, but they're not here yet.
Ceterum autem censeo Otomines esse delendam.

Player of Asahina Umeko at Winter Court IV

Kakita Kasukaru
Taisa

Postby Kakita Kasukaru » Mon May 11, 2015 12:44 am

OK, I think it's a bit early to be so negative. Yes, it felt weird to have Kae (a veteran courtier) being lectured by a relatively young an "unknown" Natsuyo. And yes, it felt a bit like getting the (very respectable) justifications we read on this forum blatantly transferred "in story". Now, I still think the demonstration made by Natsuyo was valid. She showed that a lower level involvement (the nakodo work, Dainagon work and the demonstrations by duellists) are actually bringing much needed influence. Influence which is very very long term planning in this case (and might well be useless come Onyx), but which is not negligible. Also, yay for Kae's candidacy being officially announced in this way.

All in all, I'd rather suspend my criticism in waiting for other stories where we actually see political results, not just scheming.
Kakita Kasukaru
RPG mostly / French * Greece

AsahinaD
Nikutai

Postby AsahinaD » Mon May 11, 2015 12:55 am

Natsuyo is not "unknown". While Kae was in the Colonies, Natsuyo was in the court of Toshi Ranbo. She is probably more experienced as far as how things in the Imperial Court work and she was the Crane ambassador during the last Imperial Winter Court. Furthermore Natsuyo had orders from the Clan Champion while Kae had only spoke with a represantive of the Kakita Daimyo. It seems logical for Kae to be lectured. She has to grow up and understand how things work in a civisilized place away from the Second City (I don't want to dismiss all the good work she did there).

Daidoji Tacticus
Daimyo

Postby Daidoji Tacticus » Mon May 11, 2015 1:08 am

Ceterum autem censeo Otomines esse delendam.

Player of Asahina Umeko at Winter Court IV

AsahinaD
Nikutai

Postby AsahinaD » Mon May 11, 2015 1:27 am

I still disagree. Characters need to evolve which in most cases is simiral to growing up. I liked the story, since it finally had the Crane Clan getting prepared for any result in the selection of Seiken's bride. We need to be like this. To be more accurate this is who we are. We are not the clan that publically declares for a heir or goes 100% in favor of one of them. We are the clan that covers every possibility and that's what the story was all about imo, preparations for any result.

Return to “Fiction”