Spring 2015 Kotei Fiction - Day 4

For discussions on official fictions and fan-fictions alike.
Doji Azai
Chui
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Spring 2015 Kotei Fiction - Day 4

Postby Doji Azai » Fri May 15, 2015 9:50 pm

It's a shame you didn't like it.

I'll do better. You'll likely see them again.
C Thomas Hand
L5R Story Team (2015-2016)

Doji Azai
Chui
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Doji Azai » Fri May 15, 2015 10:49 pm

As a brief note, the reference to the Coward's Style is in reference to Higaru's flavor text:

http://imperialassembly.com/oracle/#cardid=11166,#hashid=0f1993489546dd446db7636a95d68677,#cardcount=0

The reason I put the Coward's Style line in was actually a conscious shout out back to the original Kakita (of which the flavor text on Higaru also stems): but the way I cast that piece goes back to the original Kakita-Mirumoto feud.
C Thomas Hand
L5R Story Team (2015-2016)

Daidoji Tacticus
Daimyo

Postby Daidoji Tacticus » Sat May 16, 2015 2:07 am

Ceterum autem censeo Otomines esse delendam.

Player of Asahina Umeko at Winter Court IV

Kakita Onimaru
Site Admin

Postby Kakita Onimaru » Sat May 16, 2015 5:22 am

If you're having Crane problems I feel bad for you son,
I've got 99 problems but a duel ain't one!

Daidoji Tacticus
Daimyo

Postby Daidoji Tacticus » Sat May 16, 2015 5:50 am

I believe the logic is that you shouldn't need more than one strike with one sword to win the duel. The second is relevant only if you fail with the first strike, therefore fighting with two swords is defeatist, therefore cowardly. Or something.

MirumotoDaisuke
Shireikan

Postby MirumotoDaisuke » Sat May 16, 2015 6:34 am

Dragon Clan • Artisan • Friend to the Crane • Samurai • Conqueror • Duelist • Kensai

Martino
Taisa

Postby Martino » Sat May 16, 2015 6:42 am

Kakita Onimaru
Site Admin

Postby Kakita Onimaru » Sat May 16, 2015 7:59 am

I think you guys are just talking about two separate things, but its easy to see why they are related. Martino, seem to want the classic Crane/Lion rivalry to continue. Your not wrong for wanting that. Its a classic staple of the L5R lore and has loads of history. For it to simply be swept away is particularly in line with "thousands of years" of history between the clans.

And Tic-tac-toe is necessarily disagreeing with that. He's just pointing out that even if a Crane wants to continue to be antagonistic toward the Lion, even so far is to insult them outright, there are more tasteful ways to go about it.

For example, if there is a bully picking on kids school, someone might be inclined to insult that bully to shame them for what they are doing. Social justice at its finest. However, if the insult is "You have anger problems because you can't deal the fact that your alcoholic father beats you mother for being a whore thats slept with every sailor down by the docks." that has clearly crossed the line of good taste. My point is that there are social acceptable ways to insult someone without coming across as being horrible person yourself.
If you're having Crane problems I feel bad for you son,
I've got 99 problems but a duel ain't one!

Daidoji Tacticus
Daimyo

Postby Daidoji Tacticus » Sat May 16, 2015 8:33 am

Martino
Taisa

Postby Martino » Sat May 16, 2015 8:36 am

We shouldn't have to settle for petty banter. We should be telling them that they're a bunch of mannerless bullies descended from a mannerless bully, and then daring them to test our mettle.

Return to “Fiction”