Calls The Lightning Part 2 - A Clan Wars Era L5R Campaign

For discussions on official fictions and fan-fictions alike.
Kakita Shiro
Daimyo

Re: Calls The Lightning Part 2 - A Clan Wars Era L5R Campaign

Postby Kakita Shiro » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:04 am

Personally, I think it's more interesting if the Scorpion can't get their act together without divine intervention. It shows you how far down the hole Kachiko has gone.

But I had a feeling that this would be the role the PCs would be playing. It is even implied in the title.
Bushi. Artisan. Duelist. Magistrate. Hatamoto.

KakitaKaori
Shireikan

Postby KakitaKaori » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:25 am

Yeah....I made the title just for this write-up so obviously we didn't have it to start with. It was just Clan Wars or, later, Dark Thunders. But it's nice to be able to put your PCs on the Thunder level of destiny even if they are just a mixed group of schlubs. :)
Kakita Kaori
Kenshinzen of Golden Petal Village and overly prolific fiction writer
http://craneclan.weebly.com/
[Kakita Kyoumi/WC5]

Kakita Shiro
Daimyo

Postby Kakita Shiro » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:25 pm

:bow:

KakitaKaori
Shireikan

Part 8 – A Flash of Lightening Chapter 3

Postby KakitaKaori » Thu May 04, 2017 9:33 am

Part 8 – A Flash of Lightening Chapter 3

The battle raged around them, but the magistrates followed the orders Shinsei had given and took no part, doing what they could to stay away from the thrust and parry of the forces on the field save when such forces came to directly intercept them. It rarely did. They carried no banner, their armor, as it had been since Western Hub Village, was indistinguishable from any other minor bushi on the field. A squad of goblins, quickly cut down, and a few air spells to ward off any intercepting arrows as they moved towards the walls of Otosan Uchi. The armies of the Empire pressed forward.
The gates, though. Fortified by timber as thick across as a man, hauled into place with the power of ogres, there was no way that even the siege engines of the Kaiu or the spells of the shugenja would not prevail against its might. Not that any could close on those gates anyway. For in command of the outer wall of Otosan Uchi was an insane man who rained fire and death upon all those who drew near. The Master of Fire, Isawa Tsuke.

Warriors burned, engineers burned. And Tsuke stood on the battlements laughing.

The closer the magistrates drew to the walls, the harder it was to avoid the flames and the more intense the fighting became. There had reached a stalemate as the armies were trapped before the walls and the flames of Isawa Tsuke.

The armies of the Phoenix, led by Isawa Tadaka and Shiba Ujimitsu, were the forces able to close the furthest on Tsuke’s fiery hellscape, strengthened by their gifts. Great boulders tore through the sky towards the Master of Fire, but he knocked them away with his flames easily. The magistrates had to shelter their eyes from the heat and flames, not daring to approach further. They could barely see the flash of red and gold that was Shiba Ujimitsu…somehow…leap from the ground to the top of the battlements at the maddened shugenja’s side, and plunge a katana into Tsuke’s fiery robes.

Isawa Tsuke . The nearest section of outer wall of Otosan Uchi was devastated in the eruption of power and flame, coming crumbling to the ground where every previous siege engine and ram had failed. The magistrates could not see the body of Ujimitsu as he came tumbling to the ground, blinded as they were from the glare. The armies surged forward to capture the breach and enter the outer city. In a momentary break from the fighting, the magistrates heard a bright clarion call of a woman’s voice cry out to the Phoenix army “Shiba Arises!” The Phoenix troops roared their Utz and charged forward.

The magistrates slipped in behind the front of the charge, finding themselves in the familiar haunts of the Toyotomi district of Otosan Uchi. There was fighting all around them, but the mission they have been given by Shinsei was clear. And here, in this district, they knew every alley and basement.

-----------------

The streets, however familiar they might have been once, were in another sense completely alien to them now. An oozing green mist seeped from the cracks between the buildings. The daily bustle of carts and shops and the turnings of small lives had come to a complete stop. The air was scented with the breath of death. The familiar corner of the papershop, the fishmonger, all empty now. The samurai ducked in and around the knots of fighting, traversing the back streets, making their way deeper and deeper into the city. Further in and across, through parts of other districts now, less certain, towards their destination. The South Wall of Otosan Uchi. The place where their story began.

Their orders from Shinsei were clear. They alone, of all the people in the empire, had traversed successfully the South Wall. The Thunders, while mighty, suffered terrible flaws. Their flaws gave them strength. But the South Wall, the only wall that allowed the outflow of water through it to go down to the sea, and therefore, the only wall with passages below it to allow effluent to escape, had been built by the Crane. Its enchantments created the most severe challenges to both will and honor. The magistrates had survived the passage out. The more serious test was returning.
The fighting was still near the outer wall as they approached the south wall of the inner city. They found the hidden doorway that led down into the stormwater drainage, granting passage for the water back to the ocean. Fortunately, the area was mostly empty; the true strength of the tainted followers of the Emperor, of Fu Leng, were fighting at the gate. They'd only faced a few goblin patrols so far. Moto Koshi pulled up the hidden trap door and, one at a time, they lowered themselves down.

-------------------------------------------------

A thin channel of water trickled past their feet. Although they expected this dark place to be filled with the greenish fog that swathed the city, this close to the sacred wall, all taint of evil recoiled. Still, as they approached the underpinnings of the wall itself, glowing white mist arose around and between them, muffling sound, dividing sight, separating them. The challenges of the south wall were to be faced alone.

Mirumoto Kenuchio lost track of the others, gone in the white mists. But, emerging from the uncertainty before him a shadowed figure stepped. As it drew close to him, he could see its face, the mirror of his own. The figure drew katana and wakizashi, again, the mirror to his own. He did likewise.

The figure only voiced these words, “Turn back, or die.”

Kenuchio shook his head. “I cannot.”

The figure paused. “I see your failures. I know all that you have done. You have not even told her, have you? Your dishonor will destroy you.” It plunged forward to attack.

--------------------------------------------

The moments seemed to last forever, and it was possible than none of them could fully describe the battles each of them made against their own worst selves in the darkness under the South Wall. However, finally, each of them pushed through the mist to reach the stormdrains on the other side. They rested, not speaking, though Kenuchio felt Ayame’s eyes watching him and could see the wounded expression that haunted them. Once the magistrates had recovered enough, they continued until they could reach the point they originally entered the drains as they were escaping with the sword of the Hantei.

The inner city was not deserted, but most of the forces of Fu Leng had been emptied onto the plains or into the city. The green mist returned and, while vile, it helped to shelter them from all eyes. When a pack of curious bakemono stumbled upon them, they were dispatched quickly enough. Ayame raised her hands in healing again.

“I need to get something,” Matsumoto Eiko said after the latest fight. “We will not survive like this.” She led them away from the gates and up to the Shrine of the Seven Fortunes, one of the holiest places in Rokugan.

Though the city was fast becoming defiled, the Shrine of the Seven Fortunes had not faltered, at least not yet. Its purity shone and the green mists recoiled from it. Eiko hurried the others along and headed straight for the doors.

The temple itself was empty of the tainted, samurai, or monks, and Eiko opened the doors without trouble. Eerie quiet pervaded the sacred space. Each of the seven great shrines opened onto the central courtyard, and, lying in the center of the courtyard, a large, cracked bell.
Eiko led them past the bell directly to the Shrine to the fortune Bishamon, where he stood in all his stately glory, an ancient naginata in one hand, and a castle in the other. She knelt before the statue, closed her eyes, and pressed her face to the ground. Unwilling to not share her full reverence for the Fortune, the other samurai did the same.

“Great Bishamon, Fortune of Strength,” Eiko intoned, “The time has come for the Empire to stand and fight the greatest evil it has known in a thousand years. My name is Matsumoto Eiko, servant of the Celestial Dragons, born of the line of Matsumoto, and guardian of the city. Lord Bishamon, please grant to me my family’s birthright, so that the Thunders may fulfill their destiny and we may do what we must.”

With that prayer, she stood, stepped forward, and firmly lay her hand on the shaft of Bishamon’s great naginata, and suddenly, though no one exactly saw when it had been released, the naginata was free, and Eiko was holding it in her hands. She looked at it with a small, satisfied smile, and bowed again. “I thank you, Lord Bishamon, and promise to return this to you when today’s fighting is done.”

Then she turned to the others. “This is not for fighting,” she explained. “It is to give the chance for strength to be victorious. So my family has guarded and served for many centuries, since long before the days of Ichuban.”

The others nodded, and Koshi grunted. “Let’s go. We need to be by the gate before the drums begin.”

--------------------------------------

They made their way to a small Seppun guardhouse near the wall, fortunately near the gates, that had been left deserted. As the day’s fighting continued, they could do nothing,¬ save for Hiruma Izuko who slipped out of the guardhouse to determine exactly what forces held the gate itself. After about two hours, the sound of taiko drums began, its sacred rhythm driving lesser tainted creatures away, warning all that the battle had grown near.

It was the cue that they should strike.

The magistrate’s strike on the two ogres that guarded the gate mechanism was swift and silent, for Asahina Ayame had cast a spell that would prevent all sound from traveling further from the gates. Izuko and Koshi’s initial arrows wounded the ogres before they could see what was facing them, and Eiko and Kenuchio closed swiftly to defeat them. As soon as the ogres were felled, they ran to the gate mechanism and began to turn the heavy wheel that opened the gates just enough to allow Shinsei and the seven Thunders to pass.

Bayushi winked at Mirumoto Kenuchio as she entered. Asahina Ayame turned away, hiding her expression. Doji Hoturi gave the magistrates a weary nod. Shinsei favored them with a smile, a crow sitting on his shoulder. “Well done,” he offered. “Only one more task for you to fulfill.” Once the Thunders were rested, the magistrates followed the Thunders up the road to the Imperial Palace.

Nothing challenged them on the road to the palace. What could dare? They reached the barred great doors to the Imperial Palace.
As if they sensed the approach of the Thunders, the great doors slowly swung open. Standing at the doors, still holding the mechanism that pulled them open, was the most staggeringly beautiful woman the magistrates had ever seen. Hair the color of a raven’s wing cascaded like silk across her perfect shoulders. Her kimono of scarlet and gold matched the red of her lacy mask and the ruby hue of her enticing lips. Her eyes were pools of midnight and promises, but were darkened with the colors of grief and long suffering. Every samurai in the Empire knew her name: Bayushi Kachiko. The Empress.

The Empress lifted her head, and her eyes met the black eyes of Doji Hoturi. The magistrates could not see the private expressions shared between the two at that moment, but they did see the beautiful woman kneel before the Crane Champion.

“Forgive me,” she said quietly.

Doji Hoturi closed his eyes as he chose to allow her words to reach him, though the magistrates knew, better than any other here, perhaps, the depth of pain that this woman had caused him. He reached out to her and offered his hand. “Arise, My Lady. We must move forward.”

Bayushi Kachiko took the offered hand and stood, but she frowned at Hoturi’s response. She picked up her lantern, turned back to the group of Thunders, and said, “Follow me.”

The palace was a maze of shadowed halls but all was echoing silence. Kachiko led the way swiftly through the darkness until she emerged under the pillared veranda that surrounded an interior courtyard garden. A familiar figure emerged out of the shadows.

“He is in the Throne Room. Togashi challenges him now.” Bayushi Mai said simply. “No others have joined yet, but a summons has gone out. There are sounds in the palace. It will be a matter of moments before he is joined.” She pointed to the large doors on the other side of the garden. “The throneroom is just beyond. “

Mai then turned to Kachiko. “You should go and hide yourself. You are not trained in combat. You can do nothing here.”

Kachiko’s eyes blazed, but she bowed to the fifteen-year-old girl.

Shinsei turned to the magistrates who had come with him. His eyes were kind and sad, knowing well that his next words may consign them to their deaths. “Matsumoto Eiko. Moto Koshi. Hiruma Izuko. Mirumoto Kenuchio. Asahina Ayame. You are to wait here. The Dark Thunders are moments behind us. It is your task to delay them. Defeat them if you are able. Let no enemy pass that door.” He gave them a bow. “This is your time.”
They returned the bow to Shinsei and the Thunders, but nothing else needed to be said. It needed to be done, though an icy lance of fear struck Hiruma Izuko’s heart. She, at least, had not forgotten that at least half the enemies were shugenja. The magistrates took up a position in the inner courtyard, ready to defend the doors to the throneroom with their lives.

From within the Throneroom, they could hear the sounds of words spoken in a strange, hissing language, the crashing and swirling and rumbling of some great combat. Hida Yakamo pulled open the door to enter, and the other Thunders followed in after him. Shinsei entered last, leaving the magistrates alone in the courtyard with Bayushi Kachiko.

The woman waited in the courtyard with them for a moment or two, just long enough for the Thunders to begin their engagement with their enemy. She turned to the magistrates directly and looked at them with eyes full of burning contempt…and guilt. “You may stay if you wish,” she answered, chin lifted with pride. “I have debts I will repay. And I will earn Hoturi’s forgiveness before I will allow him to die.”

Moto Koshi stepped aside to allow the Empress to pass through the doors. They fell shut behind her.
Kakita Kaori
[Kakita Kyoumi/WC5]

KakitaKaori
Shireikan

Calls The Lightning Part 8 – A Flash of Lightening Chapter 4 (The End)

Postby KakitaKaori » Tue May 09, 2017 12:01 pm

Part 8 – A Flash of Lightening Chapter 4 (The End)

The magistrates shared a look between each other as they were left alone in the courtyard.

“The Dark Thunders,” said Asahina Ayame. “If they see us, they could simply go another way in. Or through a wall. We saw the Kitsu turn himself into bees. They could even summon an oni.”

Matsumoto Eiko nodded. “The naginata and the power of Bishamon will act against them, and maho will not work near it. But we must be faster than they.

Mirumoto Kenuchio gestured to the garden. “Perhaps they won’t expect to be met. They have chosen to wait until the battle is well joined, so they are confident in their lord. They have no reason to believe we would be here.”

The samurai scattered themselves across the garden, waiting in ambush. The garden seemed empty except for the four standing lanterns that marked the path to the Throne Room.

They did not need to wait long.

A high-pitched nasal laughter preceded them. “When we’re done, I want the Unicorn. So pretty…so very pretty.” It came from a spry, unpleasant-looking man they recognized: the Kitsu shugenja they had fought for the soul of Matsu’s first husband. Kitsu Bashu.

A deep pitched grunt. “No so pretty when I’m finished with her.” The man who went with those words was a hulking tower of a man, with his face painted in white and black. He carried over his shoulder a massive weapon, like an iron staff with blades on either end. They didn’t recognize him, but Koshi remembered his father’s description: Kuni Genru.

A woman laughed nervously. “I still think we must be careful. Isawa Tadaka is a powerful shugenja.” She wore the colors of an Iuchi shugenja, her long hair threaded through with gray. Around her neck, she carried twin strings of round yellow gourds, like giant prayer beads crossing her chest. “He will never expect my polvara, but we should be quiet and not attract the attention of the Thunders until we strike.” Iuchi Kyoru.

A man clad in black, a mask over his face, chortled quietly. “Besides,” he said barely above a whisper. “The Crane is much prettier.” With the mask, they could only guess that his identity was Bayushi Joro.

“Enough! I may need to associate with you for the good of our lord, but I am not required to listen to your blasphemous prattle.” THAT one many in the Empire, including the magistrates,would have recognized, at least by his mons. Asako Monoro, Head Inquisitor of the Phoenix. Ayame felt a familiar chill.

The next who entered the small inner garden they also recognized, as the Agasha courtier who had led Hitomi so far astray in her attacks on Unicorn Lands. “No need to fight...we simply are here to serve the Dark Lord. Though...I sense a presence in this courtyard....” Agasha Sano.

The last of the seven did not speak, but immediately fell into stance, resting his hand palm-up on the grip of his katana. His long white hair hung around him. Daidoji Hitsuo.

Asahina Ayame didn’t wait; she knew her role. From her position hiding in the shadows on the far edge of the garden, she immediately cast the spell that she had prepared. An explosion of wind surrounded the entire garden in a circular wall of wind, trapping the magistrates and the Dark Thunders in the confines of the garden. It would not last against a concerted effort to dispel it, but for the moment, it kept the Dark Thunders trapped within. Her hope was to at least buy time for the Thunders by prevent the Dark Thunders from getting past or leaving.
Some kind fortune was with them, for the winds whipped so fiercely that they knocked over one of the standing lanterns that had been lighting the courtyard, turning the whirlwind, momentarily, into a circle of fire. The fire licked out at the Dark Thunders that had been startled in the courtyard, and lashed out at them. A tongue of flame touched Iuchi Kyoru. She screamed and pulled away, but it was too late. The polvara that tainted her clothes and the gourds she carried hungrily seized the flame and exploded, sending a great fireball throughout the courtyard. The Kitsu and the Agasha stumbled in the blast.

The other Magistrates took no time at all in attacking, leaping out from hiding to strike out at their attackers. Asako Monoro immediately tried to pull away from the attackers to give himself the space to cast a spell, but Hiruma Izuko darted from the shadows and struck, burying her blade in his chest. He fell to his knees, bleeding heavily.

Matsumoto Eiko dove at Bayushi Joro, the purity of Bishamon’s naginata cutting through the strands of Shadow he tried to summon about himself. Once struck by the blow, the Scorpion found himself unable to draw on the dark magics of the Shadow Brands.

Mirumoto Kenuchio leapt in front of the Daidoji, ready to block him from striking at his companions, and certain that any man trained by in the Kakita school could not be caught flat-footed by their ambush. The Crane eyed the others arrayed against his fellows and then gave Kenuchio a resigned nod and fell into a dueling stance, making a gesture of challenge.

The Mirumoto was torn. He knew the Daidoji was just stalling for time and taking one of the fastest bushi out of the melee, but in his heart he knew that his honor would not allow him to refuse the challenge of the duel. The world fell away as he embraced the Void.

The Kuni was unslowed though he had to turn to face the attackers. He readied the large two-bladed sword he carried and turned to face his attackers. Moto Koshi made the first strike at him, a telling wound, but there was no doubt the power of Earth was with the mighty shugenja.

There was a burst of noise, barely audible over the swirling winds, as the door to the throneroom burst open and the body of Otaku Kamoko was hurled out. But the body did not reach past the wall of winds Ayame had constructed. Slowly, painfully, the Unicorn Battlemaiden crawled back towards the throneroom as the battle raged. But the magistrates were engaged with their own battle and could not help her.

In a well-practiced dance, Izuko traded partners with the Matsumoto, closing on the Scorpion, while Eiko whirled away to slash with her naginata at the Kitsu. The Lion shugenja was swift, but not faster than Eiko’s naginata, and found his maho-fueled magic unreachable thanks to the power of Bishamon’s blade. He drew his wakizashi and lashed out.

The Agasha recovered quickly and directly attacked Asahina Ayame with a powerful spell, having determined the source of the whirlwind that surrounded him. But Ayame had prepared the spell she had used to good effect at the Asahina temples, casting quickly to strip the Agasha from the power to commune with the Kami. He was staggered, but continued to chase after her, finding in her the key to continuing to the throne room.

The Daidoji and the Mirumoto’s duel began in a flurry. He felt the wakizashi chime against his opponent’s sword. Kenuchio could feel the Crane slip around his guard, and then he had a flash of recognition. This was the maneuver Kakita Hideyoshi had used back at the Academy to defeat him. The memory of that fight came back in a flash, as did all the time he had spent afterwards to counter the move. He twisted his wrist up just so, and lunged, his katana plunging deep into the duelist’s chest.

Thank you, Hideyoshi. You were part of this story.

The Kuni swung a mighty blow at the Moto, and the Moto fell back, wounded. But still, he was able to get a second strike in of his own against his opponent before he was hit, and the Kuni was beginning to show a little weakness.

Now wounded, Koshi moved on to attack Ayame’s opponent, he Agasha, while Kenuchio closed on the Kuni. Izuko and Bayushio Joro sparred, but without his magic and with her skill, she was able to master him in such toe-to-tow fighting. Eiko quickly dispatched the Kitsu with only a small wound, and then closed with Kuni Genru, who was already engaged with Kenuchio. Genru was having a difficult time hitting the Mirumoto, but was unable to cast spells under their persistant attacks. Koshi caught his second wind and was able to prevent Agasha Sano from closing with Ayame, and Ayame turned herself to healing his wounds while they fought. The dance of the battle continued until only the Kuni was left standing, but even he was unable to hold against their combined might. The Dark Thunders were brought down. Izuko felt no compunction about finishing off the fallen Dark Thunders who still lived; it was more honor for them to die than be tried.

The wind died, and it was only then that they could hear silence from the chamber within.
Heavily wounded, limping, the magistrates stumbled to the door to the throneroom to find out if Shinsei and the Thunders lived.

The days that followed were a whirl. Toturi was proclaimed Emperor. The bodies of Togashi, Doji Hoturi, and Isawa Tadaka were given honorable funerals. The magistrates found themselves mourning Hoturi in particular, remembering the months they had traveled with him. They hoped that in his final moments he had found the peace he sought. At least Bayushi Kachiko seemed to have some sort of peace and the forgiveness she was seeking, though she did not acknowledge them. Bayushi Mai had slipped out of the throneroom before the armies had reached the throneroom, leaving all the glory and consequence, for good or ill, upon the Shosuro actress. Many years later the twinned sai buried in the eyes of Fu Leng were described as Kachiko’s jade hairpins, something which probably would have amused Mai greatly. Shinsei privately thanked them for all they had done and then left, a crow on his shoulder. They never saw him again.

They found themselves at a loss. The glory of the Thunders, the victory, all had completely passed them by, and they drifted on the tides of the events in Otosan Uchi, waiting to be recalled. Kakita Toshimoko personally honored them, but he too was mourning the death of Doji Hoturi and it was hard for him to think beyond that great loss.

In the end, each was released to their clans. Hiruma Izuko was granted permission by Hida Yakamo to continue to remain as a leader among the Emerald Magistrates, along with Matsumoto Eiko. Ikoma Nejii continued to lead in the Legion of Two Thousand serving Akodo Toturi. Moto Koshi eventually returned to the lands of his father to take his father’s place as leader of his father’s men. Mirumoto Kenuchio, in accordance with his father’s will, and after several interrupted attempts to change his will, married the “high-ranking Scorpion maiden”, Bayushi Mai, and served her loyally if unhappily, while she, in turn, respected his honor while enjoying her small victories. Asahina Ayame became an Asahina Temple maiden, and spent many years becoming the greatest expert in the Empire on the nature of the walls of Otosan Uchi.

There were other stories, sadder stories, but they are not told here.

Such stories are ones for a different age.
Last edited by KakitaKaori on Tue May 09, 2017 4:04 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Kakita Kaori
[Kakita Kyoumi/WC5]

KakitaKaori
Shireikan

Postby KakitaKaori » Tue May 09, 2017 12:14 pm

That's it. That's all of it. There's a few sequel bits, mostly of depressing samurai drama, but I decided not to write them out. I'm fine with answering any questions, either about this as a story or how and why certain elements were brought in, or how to run this as an RPG of your own. I hope you enjoyed reading it.

Thank you and goodnight!
Kakita Kaori
[Kakita Kyoumi/WC5]

Kakita Shiro
Daimyo

Postby Kakita Shiro » Tue May 09, 2017 1:03 pm

:bow:

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Return to “Fiction”