Calls The Lightning Part 2 - A Clan Wars Era L5R Campaign

For discussions on official fictions and fan-fictions alike.
Doji Pheelyp
Taisa
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Calls The Lightning Part 2 - A Clan Wars Era L5R Campaig

Postby Doji Pheelyp » Fri May 20, 2016 8:05 am

:( :( :( :( :(
Courtier * Doji Innocent * Loyal

KakitaKaori
Shireikan

Part 6 – Higher Cause Chapter 1

Postby KakitaKaori » Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:34 pm

Last edited by KakitaKaori on Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kakita Kaori
Kenshinzen of Golden Petal Village and overly prolific fiction writer
http://craneclan.weebly.com/
[Kakita Kyoumi/WC5]

KakitaKaori
Shireikan

Postby KakitaKaori » Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:35 pm

Hi! I'm back!
I've been traveling, so that's the reason for the long delay, but I hope you enjoy this chapter.
Kaori.
Kakita Kaori
[Kakita Kyoumi/WC5]

Kakita Shiro
Daimyo

Postby Kakita Shiro » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:26 pm

Who is this mysterious stranger? Why has the Emerald Champion placed his trust in him and what will he ask of our plucky band of travelling magistrates? Find out next time!

O, the cliffhanger!
Bushi. Artisan. Duelist. Magistrate. Hatamoto.

KakitaKaori
Shireikan

Re: Calls The Lightning Part 2 - A Clan Wars Era L5R Campaign

Postby KakitaKaori » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:24 am

I need to reread everything to see where I got to. More will come shortly.
Kakita Kaori
[Kakita Kyoumi/WC5]

Doji Pheelyp
Taisa
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Doji Pheelyp » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:40 pm

We await. :)

KakitaKaori
Shireikan

Part 6 – Higher Cause Chapter 2

Postby KakitaKaori » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:30 pm

Part 6 – Higher Cause Chapter 2
How quickly this man had captured their loyalty! It was surprising to Moto Koshi, but, perhaps, simply having a direction, any direction, that would seem to help resolve a world gone wrong, was enough. Koshi might not even know his name, but he had certainty of purpose and a clear vision. That, and Toshimoko’s assurances, were enough for Koshi.

The others took a little longer to trust.

The group of magistrates turned quickly to the hooded man who approached them. The stranger smiled and raised his hands in a gesture of peace. "Never fear me. I come in the name of Kakita Toshimoko, the Emerald Champion and a dear friend. He told me that you would be coming eventually, and I see I have arrived right at the correct moment."

Hiruma Izuko cocked her head suspiciously. "I have seen no invitation for you to be here."

The ronin reached into his obi and pulled out a piece of paper. It was clear that the paper was fine, but older, and somewhat worn with the passage of time. He passed it to the Dragon bushi that stood before him. "I understand, Mirumoto Kenuchio. But I do have one. See?"

Kenuchio opened the paper slowly and glanced down. "An invitation to participate in the tournament for the Emerald Championship. These were returned to Seppun Ishikawa following the tournament. Only Ishikawa or Toshimoko would have had access to them, and only Lord Toshimoko would know of their significance."

Izuko was still unsatisfied and turned to Ayame. "What do you say?"

The shugenja smiled softly. "I don't know him. But the kami do. He is not shugenja, but he is much beloved. I don't know why."

The stranger smiled at that. "That, I hadn't known. Don't be concerned, Hiruma-san. You are Hiruma Izuko, yes? While I appreciate that Toshimoko-sama has entrusted me to your care, I will not ask you to do anything that you would not wish to do yourselves, if you had learned what I had. It would make the Doji-kami weep to see a blade born by an Asahina, and it is vital that it be returned. I will take you to its true owner."

Izuko's eyes narrowed. "And who would that be?"

The ronin frowned, the first expression of anger they had seen on his face yet. "Not the monster who wears Doji Hoturi's face now, if that is what you are asking."

Ayame sighed softly, then asked with hesitation, "I believe that you will do this. I am willing to go with you to return the sword. But you know our names, and we do not know yours. If we are to go with you, what should we call you?"

"Ayame-san...your faith gives me heart. I am sorry. I cannot give you my name, because there are many forces, of this realm and Jigoku itself, that are dearly searching for its mention in order to use it to find me. But I am a teacher of sorts. You may call me Sensei."

The preparations took a few days. The proprietress of the geisha house had seen that they were provisioned. The bushis' swords were returned well-polished and their armor was cleaned and re-laced. At Sensei's direction they were given traveling clothes that were well-enough made and appropriate to their clan, but less distinguished than the uniforms of magistrates of Otosan Uchi that they had previously worn. The ronin seemed to desire anonymity for the next stage of their travels.

It was for the best. The Empire was growing increasingly dangerous. Moto Koshi asked the news of every Unicorn that rode through the city, for news rarely carried faster than Unicorn steeds. He received word that Shiba Tsukune had reached Kuyden Kakita, finally, joining Daidoji Uji and reclaiming the land the keep had stood upon. But she had found the place destroyed, that the army of madmen that had captured it had disappeared into the hills once more and left at best a token force behind. The Lion army that had rebelled against Matsu Tsuko's suicide orders had ridden deeper into Crane Lands after Uji had withdrawn to retake Kuyden Kakita. Even now, the Lion were laying seige to Kuyden Doji, where Doji Kuwanan was standing a solid defense. As soon as Uji had secured Kuyden Kakita, he set out with his fastest troops to try to break the siege, leaving Shiba Tsukune in charge of the defense of Kakita lands. But, unlike Matsu Agetoki, Daidoji Uji lacked cavalry. It would take more troops to break a Lion siege.

News from the West was equally dire. Plague so afflicted the Imperial Capital that, now, the orders the Emperor had made that the Lion must not enter the city in order to defend it almost seemed prescient. None entered or left the city save a few Imperial Heralds, carrying new orders from the Empress. Winter Court had been cancelled due to risk of spreading disease. Koshi had overheard a few Lion samurai drinking sake at one of lesser sake houses; they were discussing how long it would take Ikoma Tsanuri, commander of the Lion army defending Otosan Uchi, to recall Agetoki to drive off the Crab assaults on Otosan Uchi. Kisada would...must...fall soon.

Four days after meeting the man they called Sensei, the group of magistrates, now to all appearances, a misfit collection of low-ranked samurai forgotten by their clan leadership, left Western Hub Village, traveling north towards Northern Hub Village, the borders of Phoenix lands, and the boat that awaited them.
Last edited by KakitaKaori on Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kakita Kaori
[Kakita Kyoumi/WC5]

Kakita Shiro
Daimyo

Postby Kakita Shiro » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:31 pm

"Sensei"

It looks rather grim for Crane right now, besieged by the Lion and the False Hoturi.
Bushi. Artisan. Duelist. Magistrate. Hatamoto.

KakitaKaori
Shireikan

Part 6 – Higher Cause Chapter 3

Postby KakitaKaori » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:49 am

Part 6 – Higher Cause Chapter 3

The trees grew thicker along the border of Phoenix lands. Cassia and cherry and plum began to give way to pine. The well-tamed woodland criss-crossed with pleasant sunlit paths became thick and overgrown tracts of forest, intent on sheltering their own secrets. The road to Northern Hub Village skirted such trees as it traveled north, circling Otosan Uchi but giving it wide berth. The road itself was empty and well-maintained, but thick brambles barred further passage through the forest undergrowth. The green shade beneath the trees was dark and gloomy, and the evening sun cast long shadows upon the magistrates as they walked.
A column of thick, oily smoke rising from those woods first drew the samurais' attention; they picked up their pace. As the road curved they could hear the rattle of metal and the crackle of flames, cut with a cry of pain. The battle was concealed from the road by the dense trees, but one could tell it was nearby.
The samurai looked to Sensei.
"Go," he answered.
The magistrates dove into the dense undergrowth.
Pushing through the brambles, they reached a clearing, scorched and smoking. Kneeling in the clearing was a thin, bookish, middle-aged man, panting heavily. His kimono was scorched black in places, but they could see he wore the robes of an Isawa. He clutched his wounded side and shook with weariness.
On the opposite side of the clearing, masked and armored samurai advanced, swords drawn. But these were not normal samurai. Each suit of armor was identical, armor of the Shiba clan of the Phoenix. Each carried, instead of a blade of steel, a drawn blade wrought of pure flame. And behind each, identical mempo, no eyes, but burning red flames. Thin columns of white smoke rose from between the chinks in the armor. The fire-samurai advanced slowly upon the wounded Isawa.
The Isawa held up his hand, sending a gust of air that was able to stagger one of the fire samurai, but the rest advanced regardless. The shugenja let his hand fall with resignation.
Mirumoto Kenuchio was the first to break through the undergrowth. It took him just a moment to assess the scene. He decided to defend the Isawa against these inhuman enemies, then determine from there the reasons the shugenja was being pursued. He drew both his blades and leapt into battle with one of the metal warriors. At his side, Hiruma Izuko and Moto Koshi also charged into battle, blades swinging, while Asahina Ayame called upon the kami of wind and water to drive back the flames and protect them from harm. Sensei also joined them, driving the fire-samurai back with his staff when they grew too near the wounded shugenja. Matsumoto Eiko devoted herself to guarding their charge specifically.
The battle was fierce, but the magistrates discovered that the suits of armor were hollow, animated only with a kind of living flame. Once the kabuto were forcibly removed, the fire-samurai's bodies could be driven back into a small stream that would quench the flames, and they would not arise again. Only a thick, oily smoke rose from the twisted metal and lacquer.
The magistrates were victorious. But scarcely had their battle been won when they turned to challenge the wounded shugenja.
Moto Koshi voiced the challenge. "You have no taint in you. But who are you and what were these that hunt you?"
The shugenja's voice was thick with pain. "My name is Isawa Natsune. I am...I am just a librarian. I swear. But I have seen...such terrible things. Things that the Empire must know..."
Ayame lay a gentle hand on his brow, unwilling to permit him to suffer under the Moto's interrogation. "Rest now. We will take you to Northern Hub village, where you may recover and tell all that you can. We will help you if we are able." They gathered up the Isawa, a light enough burden, and pushed back through the forest and onto the main road. Only the lingering columns of smoke marked any disturbance behind them.
Northern Hub Village was busy, but Sensei had little trouble identifying an inn that would accommodate them. The Eagle's Rest was comfortable, but plain. The magistrates settled Natsune on a futon in a private room and allowed Ayame to properly attend to his wounds.
She emerged. "He will live. He has barely eaten or drank for a week, barely slept. He has been heavily wounded. But he will live. He is feeling better now, and has eaten. He is eager to speak with you."
The magistrates and Sensei entered the room and knelt around the wounded shugenja's futon. After a moment of uncomfortable silence, Sensei spoke. "It is time to tell your story, Natsune-san."
The pale and weary samurai settled back in his futon and began to speak.
"I served as a librarian to the Council of Five. It was my honor to keep the records of the halls, aid them in their research. So many things. The Phoenix are the keepers of the secrets of the realms, of the kami, of lore poorly understood and long forgotten outside our libraries and temples, and the library of the Isawa holds the beating heart of knowledge in the Empire. Our agents across the Empire dance the dance of fan and blade to bring us more.
"We have known for years that there have been those seeking to undermine the Empire. The Asako Inquisitors warned of traitors in the clans. They warned us of treason by the Iuchi, the Kuni, the Kitsu...terrible disgraces in the years before the Scorpion Clan Coup. And then the great treason of the Coup itself...it was obvious a terrible threat was arising in the Empire. Asako Monoro-sama warned us that we were just as vulnerable...maybe moreso. He vowed to hunt down all traitors within the Phoenix...and made good that threat. I watched as he executed twenty men at once. They were weak, disaffected, low-ranked. It seemed excessive...but a small price to pay to not be betrayed from within. But now I am the one hunted, and, maybe a traitor."
Sensei stiffened at the name of the Chief Inquisitor, a thunder-dark expression in his eyes as he gestured for the librarian to continue.
"With the full backing of the Council of Elemental Masters, Monoro saw more and more treason in the shadows. More threats against the Phoenix and the Empire. You must have heard of it! Tadaka's own nephew, Aruka, calling up Oni. Crab allying with the Shadowlands and turning on the Empire? The Champion of the Crane leading an army of demons against his own lands? It could not be coincidence. " The Isawa shugenja struggled to sit up, gesturing broadly with the passion in his words. "They must be connected to the previous treasons...you have to understand. We have looked at the Prophecies of Uikku. I pulled them from the archives myself! The prophecies have revealed that these things foretell the greatest threat our age has ever known....they portend the coming of an evil God!"
Ayame covered her mouth with her hands, her eyes wide. Izuko glowered, while Kenuchio shifted his weight from one foot to the other uncomfortably. Matsumoto Iyeko started to speak, but caught herself and stifled the words in a cough. Only Moto Koshi seemed unmoved.
Sensei simply nodded. "We live in troubled times," he answered. "But that does not explain what happened. Please continue."
Natsune sank back again, his voice growing flat as he stared upwards at the ceiling. " We did not dare turn to other clans...who knows how many traitors remain? But the inquisitors sent our agents everywhere. Some alone, some marching with our forces as we tried to aid our allies...and search their libraries at the same time." He shook his head. "All we had learned, knowledge gleaned from across the Empire. It was never enough. What god was coming? In what form would he come? And, always, always, if he were to come, how would we bind him again?
"It was Asako Monoro who suggested the obvious solution. The original scrolls of Isawa. They had bound the god Fu Leng, in the deep recesses of history. They contain so much knowledge, from the oldest days, knowledge that is ours...knowledge that was lost to us. Surely they had they answers we sought."

"The Black Scrolls," murmered Asahina Ayame. "But they are cursed."
Isawa Natsune shifted his head to gaze at her for a moment or two before returning his focus to the patterns of cracks in the ceiling. "So I told them. I begged the Elemental Masters, before they took this rash step. Was there not the possibility, however small, that we might be misreading the signs, that the prophecies were wrong? But I am just a librarian. And it is not my place to question. And the High Inquisitor, he was so certain. By the time the master of Earth returned with another scroll, there was no doubt in any but Kaede, Master of the Void, but they would not be swayed by even her. Before the end, the Master of Water, Tomo-sama, came to me and told me he knew the scrolls were cursed, but for the good of the Empire, the Phoenix must accept this curse upon themselves. It was the only way to chain a god. I...think...he pitied me.

"The masters....they have opened the Black Scrolls. At least four of them, maybe more. I do not know what they contained. As soon as they opened them, they...changed. Tomo has become a beast. Uona weeps blood and speaks with madness. Tadaka's eyes burn green with taint. And even they, the Elemental Masters, have fear in their eyes when they speak of Tsuke. His darkness is deeper than any I have ever seen.
In the silence that followed the librarian's words, each magistrate could hear his own heart beating. Natsune sounded ashamed. "After I had seen, I could not stay and serve them. What they have done is unspeakable. Surely their actions will speed the return of this god far more than it could ever prevent it. And so...I....laid a trap for them. I tried to kill them, so new, wiser, Masters could be raised. Perhaps it would have seemed as if they died of the curse of the black scrolls. But my trap failed, and I fled. I fled to beg the champions of the other clans, those not allied with the Shadowlands itself, to bring a stop to my own masters. To reveal the prophecies." A single tear slid down the Phoenix's cheek. "So...they are hunting me. Master Tsuke sent the beings of flame. They will not rest until I am dead. I am dead either way."
Sensei laid a compassionate hand on the Isawa's shoulder. "Rest now. We will think on this and do what must be done." He led the others out of the room. In the hall, Sensei told his magistrates. "Any decisions we can make must wait for morning. But you should keep a watch. It should take time for the Elemental Masters to send more servants, but you never know." Kenuchio and Izuko took it upon themselves to set a watch on the wounded man's door, while the rest of the magistrates went to their own chambers to rest.
Kakita Kaori
[Kakita Kyoumi/WC5]

Doji Pheelyp
Taisa

Postby Doji Pheelyp » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:31 am

A librarian setting a trap for the Elemental Masters. A bold move!

Return to “Fiction”