Lesson of Shourido

For discussions on official fictions and fan-fictions alike.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
KakitaKaori
Shireikan

Lesson of Shourido

Postby KakitaKaori » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:07 pm

<This was a little interlude story during our Onyx Empire campaign, here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=838>

As the party takes some time to rest and recover, Sashimasu gathers everyone together for a story. When everyone starts objecting (for his previous attempts at storytelling had all been various attempts at making a mockery of bushido), he raises a hand. “Patience. My purpose in this story is not the same as the past tales I’ve told.” Without further acknowledgement of everybody's scowls, he begins.

“A young crab came to be the guest of an old spider. This spider was learned in the path of victory, and taught it to all of his guests. The crab claimed to embrace the way, but spent most of his time tormenting the smaller animals.

One time, as he wounded a much smaller scorpion, the old spider asked, ‘Why do you wound him?’

The crab replied, ‘Sensei, in doing so I prove my Strength.’

The old spider frowned. ‘Strength is a tool to achieve victory, not a product to be measured. Senior Student, since the crab is so determined to prove his strength, allow him to attempt to do so with you.’ With that, the senior student, a large spider favored by the master, proceeded to attack and injure the crab.

Another time, when the crab broke a leg of the scorpion, the old spider asked why.

‘Master, I impose my Will upon him.’

The old spider frowned. ‘With a broken leg, he is hardly a usable tool. Senior Student, impose your will upon the crab, that he may learn.’ With that, the eldest student forced the crab to perform many degrading tasks.

Yet another time, the crab attacked the scorpion again, causing the scorpion to flee. Again, the old spider asked why.

‘Master, I do so to Control him.’

The old spider frowned. ‘It is a weak control which allows the target to escape on its own terms. Senior Student, teach him of Control.’ By this time, the young spider had caused the crab enough pain he could simply command the crab and he would have obedience.

Not long after, the senior student was found dead in the place of rest. The young spider was severely battered, attacked as he slept and overpowered by one of greater physical strength. As all the students gathered to see, the old spider sensei called the crab forward.

‘Young crab, we need a new senior student, for the old one lies dead. Are you deserving?’

The crab replied proudly, ‘I am, master.’

‘Why do you claim this honor?’

‘For I am strongest of all the animals, and the old senior student is clearly defeated.’

The old spider frowned. ‘You exert your Will, and your would-be tools are broken. You seek to Control, and your subjects defy you. Your technique in handling your opponents is the very opposite of Perfection. Your Determination is barely adequate to face your adversary directly, and your Knowledge is untested. While your Strength is greatest among the animals learning here, you lack the Insight to use it for victory – or even to predict my reaction upon losing my favored student to such a clod as yourself.’

He gestured to some of the other older animals. ‘Take this idiot to the clearing.’ In the clearing, the crab was beaten severely – and vanished soon after, never to be seen again.

Later, when the animals asked why the crab had disappeared, the old spider replied, ‘He always asked the wrong question about the virtues. With the correct question, his victory could have been real, instead of a hollow illusion masking his defeat.’”

With that, Sashimasu looks around at the group. “Now that you have heard my tale, I wonder: Do you know my purpose in telling it? Do you know what question he should have asked? What insight does this tale of Shourido offer to you all, who cling to Bushido?”

----

Daidoji Shourai listens to the story...probably because she can't move. Yet another bone-shattering blow has cracked against her young body, and once again her body is struggling to heal the damage faster than she can inflict more upon it.

Finally, as Sashimasu finishes up his story, she waits for a while to see if anyone else answers. Since no one else does, she finally says, in a tired, grumpy voice.

"The Crab didn't ask any questions...the spider did. The Crab was a bully and the Spider was a sadist who threw away two students' lives and allowed injury to others. Maybe he to make himself feel smarter. Maybe that's why you told the story, too, for all I know. It's easy to be a bully and a sadist...I don't know why someone would want lessons. But a dead student can't help anyone or fix or create anything. I don't know and don't care what shourido is, but I know you don't reach victory by throwing away the lives of people who want to follow you. If Shourido is "the path of victory", it's wasteful about it."

Exhausted, perhaps, by the effort of saying that much, and, perhaps, recalling the very different stories she received from her own grandfather, she closes her eyes again.

----

Sashimasu makes a snort which could be a laugh, or could be derision... difficult to tell.

"I see my purpose in telling the stories early in our travels has been accomplished here. So - is that all you got from it? Merely the surface, and none of what lies beneath? Yes, the crab was indeed a bully. And the old spider? Not a pleasant master, not at all. But there was more than mere sadism. For there is more to the story. And know, before I begin, that my purpose in telling this is different yet from my purpose in the previous story, or any of those shared before I was unmasked."

"Some time later, the scorpion was called to the old spider's private garden. The scorpion paid the respects due from student to master, and said, 'Sensei, you called for me.'

The old spider said, 'My Insight tells me that in the days before he was assaulted Senior Student was less perceptive than typical, and weaker than usual. Do you know why?'

The scorpion bowed, and answered, 'I do, sensei.'

'And the reason?'

The scorpion replied, 'I stung him, sensei.'

'And your reason for doing so?'

'Physically, Senior Student had much greater Strength than I. It would be unwise to attack him in the manner I did without applying my own Strength first.'

The old spider frowned. 'So Crab was not involved at all. What was your reason for attacking Senior Student?'

The scorpion answered, 'That it may appear Crab once again acted without considering the Way, and that you would act against him as you did.'

The spider frowned. 'You thought so little of my Insight?'

The scorpion bowed, and answered, 'If your Insight was weak, you would only see the surface - and respond as you did. If your Insight was strong, you would see an opportunity to remove a poor student while giving the rest of the students a lesson in the Way - and respond as you did. Either way, I had my victory over Crab.'

'Do you know what happened to Crab?'

'I do not.'

'If you seek to manipulate me again in this manner, you will learn first hand. You asked the correct question about the virtues, and gained victory. Some past senior students have taken vows and become masters of the Way in the order. Thus, the order is strengthened. Others have fallen, shown to be unworthy. Thus, the order is strengthened. All students know the position of senior student is privileged, and given great opportunity. All know how they can rise to fill that role.'

The spider smiled. 'For your part in this, you are now Senior Student.'"

Sashimasu pauses, then says, "This should tell you more of what you must know about Shourido - and give you another key to the right question to ask as you follow your own Way."

Sensing the skepticism from the rest of the party, Sashimasu sits down. "Very well. I will set aside my mask for a moment. The old Lion said the road before us will test what is within. If any of us falter in our path, we fail - and our greater goals are lost. In the skirmish earlier, I made the same mistake as the Crab, and you - Daidoji - correctly called me out for it. I have seen others make this same mistake, and ask the wrong question about their actions as they relate to the virtues. That mistake can kill us - or worse.

Daidoji, you said you do not care what Shourido is. In this, you are wrong. Many years ago, some Akodo said, 'If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.' I don't recall who said it, but the Kitsu can probably tell us - and even grant an audience, for all I know. Shourido is a key tool of your enemies. Many define themselves with it, just as you define yourself with Bushido. Dismiss it lightly, and you will be defeated. Instead, it is my duty to ensure that Shourido is known, so the followers of the Way of Victory may themselves taste defeat.

As I put my mask back on, Daidoji - I would warn you to be careful, for masks can be fragile. You were correct in calling out my error. Be careful, though, in your choices of method and timing in the future - for if my mistakes strain the mask, as they did earlier, calling our enemies' attention to those mistakes could forever shatter the mask."

Not once during this time did Sashimasu actually show his face.

"Now - who guess my purpose in telling this section of the tale? What question did Crab fail to ask but Scorpion did ask? Was the promotion to senior student a reward, or a punishment? And what lessons, if any, do you draw from these tales?"

----------------------

Chiyori sits quietly through the telling of the tales. Her head is tipped to the side as she listens. She looks directly at Sashimasu as she says in a quiet but clear voice, "I have always hated story lessons. Grandpa uses them all the time, then laughs when I tell him to just explain what he wants me to know. 'You will understand the lesson when the time comes.' But what happens if I don't?" She sighs. "I think one of the problems for me is that you assume I have knowledge of these 'virtues' that the enemy follows, this Shourido. I cannot formulate a question beyond this story. However, I will try."

"It seems to me that the Crab did not truly understand the meaning of control or insight. He did not use foresight to look ahead to determine the best path to a decisive victory. He also lacked determination to see the victory through. The Scorpion looked ahead and saw how to deal with the Crab in a decisive manner that also ultimately allowed his own advancement. He used the circumstances and set up a situation where there was really only one potential response from the old Spider. In the end, the Crab looked at the situation and asked, What? and possibly Who? because while the Scorpion was weaker, it is known they can be a potential threat. The Scorpion, asked, How? and When? Because these two questions can ultimately lead to victory, since everyone knows strategy and tactics are all about How and everyone knows a battle in winter against Dragons is folly, so When is just as important.

"As for the punishment, it was both reward and punishment. If advancement is desired, there is only one senior student. Before the Scorpion could scuttle away and find places to be ignored. Everyone knows the Strength of the Scorpion is in striking from an unseen location. As a reward, he was given advancement, because the Senior Student is a coveted position. However, as a punishment, the Scorpion would now be visible and watchable for the old Spider. The Scorpion would have to be much more careful in his actions if he ever wanted to manipulate the old Spider again."

"The lessons that I draw is that I do not know enough about the enemy yet to directly engage them. But then, I already knew this, so it is less lesson and more reminder. I need to find a way to work these principles that they live by against them, just as they will try to use Bushido against me. Otherwise, if there is more lesson here, please tell me, for I do dislike story lessons" Chiyori falls silent.

----------------

Sashimasu nods. "I understand the distaste - yet you perfectly illustrate their value. For while you have not perceived the lesson I sought to impart, one which does not depend upon any true knowledge of Shourido, you have yet drawn other valuable lessons from the tales."

----------------

Shourai finds Spider Monks most annoying. Even if they're Scorpion in disguise.
Kakita Kaori
Kenshinzen of Golden Petal Village and overly prolific fiction writer
http://craneclan.weebly.com/
[Kakita Kyoumi/WC5]

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Return to “Fiction”