L5R - Chasing the Winds - A Winter Court 5 Sequel Fic

For discussions on official fictions and fan-fictions alike.
Kakita_Harun
Taisa
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: L5R - Chasing the Winds - A Winter Court 5 Sequel Fic

Postby Kakita_Harun » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:21 am

Okay, feel I just have to say this.

Tonight, someone dies. :(

----

Harun was silent more a long time, trying to find the words to express what had happened. He could feel his emotion rising, overcoming him. He took a long sip of tea and a few deep breaths.
“My apologies, sensei,” said Harun. “This part of what happened, it’s difficult to talk about. I’m not doing much credit to all the court training we were given.”
Kenshin nodded silently.
Harun cleared his throat, took another sip of tea and continued.
“We rode west for most of the day, following the river,” said Harun. “There were just the three of us, and a few guards.”
“Was there still threat from the Onyx?” Kenshin asked.
Harun shook his head. “Not really, but there weren’t not about to risk everything when we were so close.” He took another sip of tea. “The Unicorn had been making aids all winter, in preparation for pushing on further west in the spring. But it would all be for nothing if Majid and Zetsubou failed…”

They arrived at the place as the sun was setting, Harun could see the light fading across the endless plains. Harun stood there a moment, enjoying the atmosphere. At least, until Majid told him to stop dawdling and help set up the camp.
Between them and the guards there were four yurts. Two for the people and two for the horses Zetsubou helped them set them up before going down to river while Majid and Harun saw to the food. Rice as well as chicken skewers cooked over the fire with flatbread and hummus. When it was ready they all sat down sat around the fire, eating what they could which wasn’t much. The guards spoke, but for Majid, Harun and Zetsubou tension hanging over them was palpable and there was little talk.
When it too cold to remain outside, Harun and Zetsubou went into the yurt and Majid went to see to the horses. Harun pulled his cloak close around him, sitting close to the porcelain brazier next to Zetsubou who was deep in thought.
“Harun,” said Zetsubou at last, “I’ve wanted to tell you for some time how grateful I am to have you here.”
“Thank you, Zetsubou,” said Harun.
“I think you know by now how much danger we could be in,” said Zetsubou.
“Danger of failing?” Harun asked.
“No, I don’t think we will fail,” said Zetsubou, shaking his head. “The danger is to us, or rather to Majid and myself.” He looked at Harun. “It’s hard to explain, but you need to be ready to act.”
“To do what, Zetsubou?” Harun asked, a little worried.
“To kill me,” Zetsubou said quietly.
Harun looked at Zetsubou in shock. “Surely…”
“Harun,” said Zetsubou seriously, “Majid and I have discussed this many times once we knew what we needed to do. We aren’t talking about a blood sacrifice, this isn’t blood magic. But strange things do happen during powerful magic rituals. I might…not be myself, something might happen to me.” He looked at Harun solemnly. “I need you to promise me you will kill me before that happens…”
“Zetsubou—“
“Harun, promise me!”
Harun bowed his head. “I promise.”
“Thank you,” said Zetsubou with a nod. “There is one more thing that I need to say to you, in the event of my death—“
“Zetsubou!”
“In the event of my death,” Zetsubou repeated patiently, “I have prepared papers back in my tent for you to carry out. My instructions are clear. I also want you to go and see my brother, Akodo Kibo in Shiro sano Ken Haya in Lion Lands. He will need friends and I know it will help him to see you.”
Harun felt a little sick talking to Zetsubou about this, plans for his death. But a samurai must always be ready for his death.
“I promise,” Harun said. “What about your family?”
“Majid will see to that,” Zetsubou said quietly. “We have known each other for years, since the second seal. It will be better coming from him.”
Harun nodded gravely. “I hope that neither of us have to do any of this.”
“So do I,” said Zetsubou. “But as Akodo-no-kami said, we all must be ready for our deaths.”

The evening might have been pretty dour had Majid not returned then and livened things up. They passed around some sake, played shogi—Majid even gave Harun a quick lesson. Majid then got out a set of pipes and began to play, a lilting airy tune that was rather soothing.
Afterwards, when Majid was asleep. Harun and Zetsubou sat at the tent door watching the snow fall, they were rugged up warm and the porcelain heater was that their backs. Zetsubou was silent, pensive.
“Harun,” Zetsubou said after a long silence, “is it true that you are considering staying here in Unicorn lands? Perhaps becoming a Unicorn yourself?”
“It is, or rather was,” said Harun.
“Was? You have decided to leave?”
“Not exactly,” said Harun. He told Zetsubou the whole story, delicately skipping over the parts with Asuna and hoping that Zetsubou understood what he was implying.
“Harun,” Zetsubou said when he had finished. “Have I told you what you mother wanted out of her life? What drove her?”
Harun shook his head.
“There were many things,” Zetsubou said. “She wanted the happiness of a family that had been taken from her, wanted to return home, to the steppes of the Unicorn plains…but she gave all those up those after you were born for a different purpose, so that you and others could have those things…and others.” He looked at Harun. “Something tells me that you are looking for a purpose, is this true?”
Harun nodded.
“Have you found it yet?” Zetsubou asked, his lion eyes shining with understanding and kindness.
“No,” said Harun, “I am starting to wonder if I ever will.”
“Your purpose may end up finding you, Harun,” said Zetsubou. “And it may not be something that you like.”
Harun nodded, staying nothing, staring out at the snow.

They retired to bed after that, getting a few hours of sleep and then rising several hours before the dawn. Harun dressed warmly in his wool and fur cloak, Majid and Zetsubou in their shugenja robes. Zetsubou in yellow and brown, Majid in white with black void mons on his shoulders with the colourful beaded necklace and rings he always wore. He also painted his face white, with black on his mouth, cheeks and around his eyes.
The last time Harun saw Majid like this, it was before the attack on Shiro Moto.
We prepare out bodies for death, he had said at the time. He met Majid’s eyes, the Moto nodded seriously.
It was time.

They headed out of the camp and down to the river, the guards had been instructed to keep their distance.
The Firefly River was a ribbon of silver in the early morning twilight. Just beside it was a torii archway and in front of that, further up on the riverbank were a few stones piled high into a small column.
It’s a shrine, Harun realised, but he saw nothing to signify who it was to.
Majid went up to the stone platform and begun to lay out a few things while Zetsubou went down to the archway. Not sure what to do, Harun went over to Majid. The Moto was laying out spell scrolls, but also there was a small round box in white jade, inlaid with crystal and ivory and engraved with symbols of the elements. Harun wondered what that was, but Majid and Zetsubou seemed to be busy so he waited.
“All is ready,” said Majid to himself, he then turned to see Zetsubou coming towards them. “Well?”
Zetsubou nodded. “We can begin,” he said.
“Good,” said Majid with a nod. “There is just one more thing.” He turned to Harun. “I’ll need your amulet.”
Harun looked questioning at him.
“It’s for your protection,” said Majid. “Trust me.”
He reached inside his clothing for the amethyst talisman. Karasu had given it to him last spring. Given to him for safekeeping by his mother, given to her by Zetsubou. Engraved on it were the mons of the Crab and Unicorn clans. He looped it over his head and handed it to Majid.
Majid held it in one hand and muttered a few words, moving his hands. Then he handed it back to Harun.
“It’s a meishodo now,” Majid said. “It will protect you if you need it.”
He put it back on, concealing it beneath his clothing, the seriousness in Majid’s voice was worrying. Zetsubou was far more reassuring.
“Harun, what we are going to do now is open a door into Yomi, to the realm of the blessed ancestors,” he said. “You will hear and see things, the shryo, the souls of the ancestors, we will petition to help us cleanse the lands.”
“This,” said Majid, indicating the jade box, “is how we hope to succeed. It took me years to create it. Inside is the light of Tengoku, which is what will cleanse the land.”
Harun nodded. “Will it work?”
Majid and Zetsubou exchanged a concerned glance.
“We have hope,” said Zetsubou.
They all stood in front of the platform, Zetsubou in the middle and Harun and Majid either side. Zetsubou took up a spell scroll and began to read it, saying the words to open the door into Yomi.
“Blessed Ancestors, we seek your wise guidance,” he said. “Come among us, so that we may hear your wisdom.”
A soft, warm wind began to blow and Harun thought he could smell…fresh grass was it. Fresh grass, like spring. Beneath the spans of the torii arch, a gentle light began to appear. Then, with a bright burst of light, they could see through the arch to another place. Full of light, and green, with the sound of the wind through grass and of birds singing.
Majid and Harun helped Zetsubou to a sitting position, his back against the stone pillar. The Akodo’s face was deep in concentration as he opened the portal. From the archway, there was a flicker of light. Majid looked over at it.
“Someone has come through,” he said to Harun.
They heard a voice, coming like birdsong on a breeze, bursting with joy and love.
“Harun, my son!”
Harun looked up, a short figure was coming—no running—towards him. His features a blur of light and colour, not identifiable, but Harun thought he knew.
“Father?”
The shryo smiled, his features coming into focus. He was short, shorter than Harun. He wore a kimono patterned with blue and purple circles. He had a beard, small and fine compared to Harun’s. But what Harun noticed most of all were his, not just shining with the joy of seeing him, Harun recognised them as his own.
“I’ve waited so long,” said Nakura. He reached forward, but his hands passed right through Harun’s. “To see you, to speak with you…oh my son.” He laughed, looking Harun up and down. “You sure take after your mother’s people, but we only ever talked about having girls.” He grinned. “And nothing about you being a Crane.”
“Father, I…” Harun was choked up with emotion. He never imagined this would ever happen, at least, not while he was still alive. What does one say to the spirit of one’s dead father?”
Someone else emerged from the archway. A woman. She wore the lamellar armour as was worn by the samurai at the dawn of the empire, but she had no daisho, instead carrying a spear wearing the conical hat of an ashigaru.
“What’s all this, Nakura?” she asked impatiently. “This can all wait, there’s work to be done.” She then turned to Harun. “And I think I know who you are. If your mother had followed my advice, you wouldn’t be here.”
Harun almost laughed, which somehow seemed very inappropriate. He had an idea who she was, but Majid certainly knew. He went into a deep bow and motioned for Harun to do the same.
“Hikahime-no-fortune,” said Majid solemnly. “We are honoured by your presence and aid in this sacred task.”
“Never mind that,” Hikahime said, dismissing their formalities. “We know why you are here, we all do.”
“All?” Harun repeated.
Some more shryo emerged from the archway. A wild-looking, bearded Moto clad in leather and fur; a young Crane woman who carried a splendid daisho, and wore the robes of a kenshinzen; and finally some true Kitsu.
The Kitsu looked most strange. they was covered in golden fur, yet wore armour like a samurai. They had the face, mane, paws and claws of a lion, yet they walked upright like a man and carried a spear.
Harun took a quick look back at Zetsubou for his reaction. There was a lot of strain on his face as he clearly was in a lot of pain from keeping the portal, but he did look pleased and even a little surprised.
More came out, many, many more. Some wearing the same lamellar armour Hikahime wore. They crowded out of the torii arch, standing around before them with many more behind them. Their spirit forms emitting soft light. The Blessed Ancestors of Yomi, all there to provide aid.
One of the Kitsu approached them. Majid and Harun bowed low.
“Honoured Kitsu and shryo of the Blessed Guard,” said Majid, his voice solemn and clear. “We petition you to aid us to gain Tengoku’s Favour once more. We wish to cleanse the land of the taint and restore harmony.” He bowed again, holding the small jade box in his hands. “We offer this, made of all that is pure and sacred that will serve as a means to heal the lands.”
The Kitsu was silent for a long moment, then nodded. “This acceptable,” he said, his deep and growling. “But know this as well: this is but a first step in restoring the harmony between Tengoku and Ningen-do. For this to be finished, more must be done. All of the kami must return home, the line of Hantei must be reconciled with the line of Iweko, and there must be balance between the Dragons of Jade and Obsidian.” He looked between Harun and Majid. “All of this must happen, and it must happen in its own time. Do you understand this?”
Harun and Majid nodded. Zetsubou made a movement that could have been a nod.
Before anyone could say anything more, Nakura immediately stepped forward. “Harun, you can’t stay here,” said Nakura. “I know out here you are pulled towards the life your mother and I wanted for you, but there is much for you to do, my son.”
“I understand, father,” said Harun.
“You better,” said Hikahime from somewhere behind him. “How are you going to fight for the Legion way out here? How are you going to take Toshi Ranbo?”
The Kitsu turned and looked at the rising sun. “It is time,” he said. “The offering must be made.”
Majid nodded and motioned for Harun to stand beside Zetsubou. The atmosphere grew tense, that was enough for Harun to realise that now came the danger. He looked down at Zetsubou, he was pale, sweat was pouring down him, obviously in a lot of pain to keep the door open. But when Majid looked his way, Zetsubou nodded to proceed.
Majid held out the jade box with one hand, with his other he touched each of the rings on his fingers and each of the colourful beads of the necklace he wore.
The very air grew thick and seemed to twist and ripple before Harun’s eyes. Harun’s vision blurred, he began to feel heavy and lightheaded, as if he were about to faint. The jade box in Majid’s hand began to shine with soft light.
The shryo, the Kitsu, knelt down where they stood and bowed their heads in prayer. Behind them, Harun could see rows and rows kneeling down. He remained standing, ready, so did Majid and Kitsu in front of him. He began to speak.
“Yomi has always stood to guide the mortals of Ningen-Do and to protect Tengoku from the taint of Jigoku,” he said, leading them in prayer. “Now, we lend our strength for Tengoku’s light to cleanse the land.”
The box shined even more brightly, almost blindingly so. The Kitsu reached out, and took it. There came a great burst of tiny white lights from the box, like a thousand shooting stars rising up from the box and flying up high over their heads.
Then Zetsubou screamed in pain, his shrieks akin to an animal in a fire, a lost soul in torment.
“It’s the Void!” Majid shouted to Harun. “His body, it can’t take the energy needed to complete the ritual. Harun, you have to…”
I promised him, thought Harun, unsheathing his katana. He raised it above his head before he struck down Zetsubou, giving him mercy from the pain.
But Zetsubou held out a hand, his screams subsided but he was clearly in pain.
“What’s going on?” Harun asked Majid.
“The poor fool,” Majid said. “He has to finish it, we can’t stop it.”
Harun took a quick look towards the portal. The shryo were still kneeling and praying, the tiny stars rising from the box and then falling like silver rain from the sky.
Zetsubou gave another cry, this one much quieter and far more heartbreaking. He was in pain, probably dying. Was the ritual finished? Would the land be cleansed?
Harun looked at Majid. Majid nodded. Harun raised his katana again, ready to do his duty.
“No!” shouted the Kitsu, his voice like thunder. He lunged forward and grabbed Zetsubou’s shoulder. “You have served well, brother, but your duty is now at an end. Rest now.” The Kitsu grabbed Zetsubou’s hand, pulling him forward so hard that Zetsubou was slumped face down his red hair brilliant against the white of the snow. And pulled Zetsubou’s spirit from his body.
“Zetsubou!” Harun dropped his katana rushed over to him. Kneeling beside him, grabbing him, turning him over, shaking him. Zetsubou’s eyes were closed as if he was sleeping, he looked peaceful, without pain. “No, no!”
“Harun!”
He looked up. Zetsubou was standing there, above his own body that was lying in Harun’s arms.
“No, it can’t happen,” pleased Harun.
Zetsubou smiled sadly. “We all knew it would end like this. Even your mother. Even you.”
He then turned to join the skyro who welcomed him among their number. Then little by little, after bowing and acknowledging Harun and Majid, they started to fade away.
Tears flowed down Harun’s cheeks. This was not supposed to happen. Zetsubou was so good, so kind. He had a wife, children, a home they were all happy in.
“Harun.”
He looked up again. It was his father, smiling down at him with pride. He put a hand on Harun’s shoulder, and for the briefest of moments, Harun felt his father’s touch. “The sun is rising, we can’t stay. I am proud of you, my son. You have honour that I never had in my life.”
“You honour me, father,” said Harun through his tears. There was so much more he wanted to say, but there wasn’t time. “Will I see you again?”
“Nakura nodded. “There is much before that, Harun, that you must do. Good thing you have your mother’s courage.”
“Father!” He reached out as Nakura’s spirit faded away with the rising sun. He closed his eyes, trying to quell the anguish in his heart.
Then he felt a hand on his shoulder. It was warm, it was alive.
“This is how he wanted it, Harun,” said Majid. “And this is how it must be.”
“But…” Harun’s voice broke with emotion.
“Yes, I know,” said Majid. “But us, the living, we must carry on.”
Scribe and Adopted Crane

Kakita_Harun
Taisa
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Kakita_Harun » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:08 am

Not an update, just Majid in his shugenja gear with the meishodo

Scribe and Adopted Crane

Kakita_Harun
Taisa

Postby Kakita_Harun » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:38 am

They broke camp and left the same day, making steady progress towards Shiro Moto. The mood was sombre. Harun rode in the lead, Majid behind him leading Zetsubou’s horse, riderless. Zetsubou’s body had been secured safely in one of the ox carts, wrapped in blankets.
Snow started to fall and an icy wind picked up as they rode west, which didn’t help the mood. Harun was grateful when Shiro Moto came in sight.
As they proceeded through the camp, the riderless horse did not go unnoticed. A few people questioned them, but they didn’t stop, not until they reached the guest camp. A few people came out to meet them when they arrived, Kousuda, Kouta, Hokori. But they stopped, shocked.
Kousuda looked stricken. “Harun, is it…”
Harun nodded gravely.
Majid carried Zetsubou’s body to the yurt that the Lion delegation shared. Ikoma Sesuke, his yojimbo, came out, his face grave. He bowed his head as Zetsubou was carried past.
Kousuda started to walk towards him, but Harun rode off. He couldn’t face anyone, not tonight.

Harun passed a fretful night with little sleep. And when he did sleep, his dreams were troubled. He saw Zetsubou, sprawled out on the snow, lifeless. He saw Majid, his black and white face paint looking terrifying in the dawn light. And he saw his father, his face vanishing before Harun’s eyes.
He woke with the grey dawn and dressed, pulling the hood of his cloak over heads head when he went outside into the whirling snow. Fighting through the icy wind, he sought shelter within the walls of the shiro.
Inside the walls there was a little less wind, but there were few people about that day. The few that were heading for the tenshukaku or the tea house.
Then he saw a lamp, a circle of light in the whirling snow. It was Gimu the monk, he looked indifferent to the weather, heading into the shrine as if it were any other day.
Hikahime…he looked up to see name written on nobori flags outside the shrine, fluttering furiously in the wind.
Harun went in. Inside, Gimu was making tea on a small brazier. He looked up.
“Ah, Kakita-sama, will you join me?”
“I don’t mean to intrude, Gimu-san,” said Harun.
“Nonsense, the weather is called and your presence is no intrusion,” said the monk.
“Then I will join you,” said Harun, sitting on the bare stone next to Gimu. The warmth of the brazier felt good. So did the tea which Gimu gave to him in plain earthenware cups. Strong and robust, like the Moto made it.
“I’m worried that there’s something wrong, drinking tea inside a shrine,” said Harun.
“If it was, this one doubts that she would mind,” said Gimu, nodding to the scroll of Hikahime hanging on the wall above the prayer sticks.
Harun managed a small smile, remembering what she had said to him. How are you going to fight for the Legion way out here? she had said. How are you going to take Toshi Ranbo? Such big pronouncements, he hardly felt equal to them.
“Did you know her, Gimu-san?” Harun asked, then remembered that such questions to a monk were rather impertinent. “My apologies, it’s just that…I met her yesterday, just before Zetsubou died.”
“No apologies are needed, Kakita-sama,” said Gimu. “This one has known someone who has met her.” He smiled wistfully. “Knew her very well, he did.” He cleared his throat. “Tell me what happened.”
Harun told the monk everything, far more than he had intended. But it felt good to talk about it. Made it more real and easier to deal with.
Gimu listened patiently, filling Harun’s cup up. “That is quite a tale, Kakita-sama,” he said. “You came here on one wind, it appears that you will leave on another.”
Harun nodded, sipping his tea. “It seems right, now, to leave,” he said. “I think I needed to hear it, but I didn’t think it would come from the shryo of my father.” He looked down into his cup. “I could have belonged out here, far away from everything.”
“Duty,” said Gimu with a nod. “Duty is, not chosen. And sometimes in a way we don’t like.”
“Zetsubou said that,” said Harun with a sad smile. “His duty…” He choked up…”
“He knew his duty, Kakita-sama,” said Gimu. “And now you know yours, you would do the same no doubt.”
Harun nodded, it was instilled in every samurai. To be an instrument of your lord’s will, to be ready to die.
“Fighting with the legion,” said Gimu, looking at Hikahime’s picture. “You will do well, Kakita-sama. She knew best.”

Gimu’s words were a balm to Harun. He found he could look forward, as Zetsubou would have wanted. The weather broke, grew miler. Harun was able to go riding with Majid. They didn’t speak much, the silence served as solace to both of them.
As the weather grew milder, the thaws began. And with the thaws came the first new shoots of spring green. Harun smiled through his tears. They had succeeded, the lands had been cleaned and Zetsubou’s death had not been in vain. The Kitsune and Morishita between them made the garden inside the shiro courtyard grow with maple trees, fir and a cherry blossom.
It would not be long until they left now, court was winding up. He had managed to talk with Kousuda and Kouta about the ritual, but they were busy finalising the treaties with the Unicorn and Crane and had little time.
“Come around on the last night,” Kousuda said. “We can talk before we leave.”
There were a few things to be attended to before that. He went to the Utaku camp and asked after Asuna. When he arrived, he was told she wasn’t there.
Harun sighed, he should have expected this.
“Please convey my good wishes for her future,” said Harun. “And my apologies. I treated her badly, she deserves much better. And give her this.” He gave the Utaku a small sprig of maple, taken from the new tree.
Maple for great blessings, Harun thought as he walked away, sometimes the Crane know how to say difficult things without words.
He turned to look back just before he was out of sight. He could see her, peering out of one of the yurts. They met eyes for a brief moment, he made a slight bow towards her and then walked away.

The next morning a low mist hung over Shiro Moto, Harun was on his way to the dojo when he saw something that caused him to stop. Gimu, coming out of the walls of the Shiro, holding a lamp. On his other side he was supporting someone. Tall, bearded, and with a limp.
Chinua, Harun realised. Should he approach?
Moto Tengri came out, leading Chinua’s horse. He and Gimu helped Chinua to mount. They talked, no longer than a moment, then Gimu and Tengri bowed low.
“Kuirichitai,” said Majid’s voice. He came to stand beside Harun. “The last ride.”
Chinua rode off, disappearing into the morning mist. He did not look back.
Scribe and Adopted Crane

Kakita_Harun
Taisa

Postby Kakita_Harun » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:48 am

The last days of court brought a lot of last minute activity. Packing to be done, farewells to be said. Last kumis passed around and dances around the fire.
Harun knew he had to leave, but he was sorry to.
One day, he promised himself, I will bring Arahime out here. She had as much Unicorn blood as I do, she will understand.
One who was not leaving, and was quite happy not to be was Yukari. Now Moto Yukari, she would be joining the Khol alongside her husband and stepdaughter.
“So, it’s going to be you rides to conquer the Unicorn lands,” Harun teased.
Yukari gave him a friendly punch on the arm. She had fully embraced wearing the bare-armed leather tunics of the Moto and had tied her hair back in many braids. “As long as I get to ride and fight and drink kumis,” she said. “You’re an idiot for not staying, must have been that father of yours.”
“Well, it was the Crane one at least,” said Harun.
“You’re a damn fool for leaving, Harun,” she said. “But you’re as stubborn as your mother, so I will miss having you around.”
Isanko and Janisha came to Harun’s yurt for tea. The girl was enthralled to finally be inside one, and listened intently as Harun told the story of the ritual. And of Zetsubou’s death.
“I liked him,” she said simply. “He was kind to me, and had kind eyes.”
Janisha had one more thing to reveal about Harun’s father Nakura.
“There was something else that he promised, but he never managed to do,” she said. “Kitsune Mori was destroyed by the Kaiu during the war. Nakura made a vow before the entire Imperial Court that he would devote his retirement to its recovery and see that his heirs did as well.”
“And that’s me,” said Harun. “That is, if I have any heirs or live to see retirement.”
“You are the last of your bloodline, Harun,” said Janisha. “You need to make sure that happens.”
When Isanko and Janisha left, Harun promised Isanko that he would write and visit when he could. And again, he marvelled that one day that that nine year old girl would one day be Empress of Rokugan.
Perhaps another story for those heirs I don’t have yet, he thought.

On the last evening Harun went over to the guest camp, walking past the Lion yurt where he knew Zetsubou’s body was. He entered the Crane yurt where Kousuda received him.
“Harun, it was good of you to come,” said Kousuda, shaking hands warmly. “I must apologise, the end of any court is always a rush to get things done.”
“No need, oji-san,” said Harun. “We all have our duty.”
“Indeed,” agreed Kousuda, noting Harun’s seriousness.
They sat down, Kousuda provided generous but simple fare. Miso soup, yakitori chicken skewers, steamed nikumun buns filled with miso-flavoured rice. And finally, tea and daifuku.
“I thought you would have wanted to have meat on the last night,” said Harun.
Kousuda chuckled. “I got a supply of jerky that should tide me over for a while, but don’t tell anyone. Did you manage to try some at all?”
“Yes, at Yukari’s wedding,” said Harun. “It seems so silly now, such a small thing after what has happened.” He looked into his cup. “I suppose you know now what has happened.”
Kousuda nodded gravely. “Majid told me, he said you were with Zetsubou,” he said. “That must have been difficult, Harun.”
“I was spared from…doing it myself,” said Harun. “Zetsubou had asked me, but I think was better.” He took a sip of tea. “He asked me to go to Lion lands. Take his body, see his brother.”
“Majid also said that you saw Hikahime-no-fortune and your father Nakura,” said Kousuda.
“Yes,” said Harun. “I didn’t expect that at all, it seems so strange…people have told me about him, but to meet him myself…”
“Treasure it, Harun,” said Kousuda. “But don’t let it hold you back.”
“I won’t, oji-san,” said Harun. “And yes, I did see Hikahime-no-fortune. You knew her, didn’t you?”
“I did,” said Kousuda with a nod. “And I am very happy you have as well. I worked with her at the Winter Court at Shiro Mirumoto. So did your mother, Doji Arami-sama and Zetsubou’s brother Akodo Kibo. They drafted the treaties that secured the Shogunate and the Last Legion, what became the Emerald Legions.”
“The Shogunate?” Harun asked. “You mean, Akodo Kano?”
Kousuda nodded.
“But why?” Harun asked, incredulously.
“Politics,” answered Kousuda simply. “You understand what it was like then, Harun. It was a time of chaos and famine. The Onyx had taken much of the empire but there were those who had risen up to strike back. One of those was Akodo Kano, the other was the Last Legion. It’s unthinkable now that anything like this could happen, but the thing is they already had. We were fighting for our own survival, and so many were starving. So we had to use the tools we were given. That meant compromise, and that meant Kano.”
“Did you know then what could happen?” Harun said. “That Kano would rebel?”
“We knew it was a distinct possibility,” said Kousuda. “But again, we needed him and had to support him to get the Legion legitimised. Your mother spent a long night with Hikahime, putting all sorts of restrictions of what Kano could and couldn’t do. And to further safeguard things we, or rather your mother, put forward Karasu’s name to be Emerald Champion.”
“He told me about that,” said Harun. “It was the day after my father was killed, but she still stood in front of the whole court and put his name forward.”
Kousuda nodded. “She also saved Hikahime’s life, I supposed she didn’t tell you that when you saw her yourself.”
Harun shook his head.
“There was some sort of incident with the Onyx, one of their yojimbo had tried to assassinate the Jade Champion,” Kousuda said. “Hikahime just happened to be there and saved the Jade Champion’s life, killing the assassin. Then she was on trial because she killed him with a katana.” Kousuda took a sip of tea and then continued. “I remember, your mother was frantic, if Hikahime died there was a fair chance that the Legion would rebel. She eventually got us into the trial, before the Emperor himself.”
Harun’s eyebrows shot up. “Before the Emperor? How?”
“Through Chinua, I think,” Kousuda said. “But when we were there, we hardly had to say anything at all. Lord Mirumoto Shikei, he was Champion of the Dragon Clan then, basically said everything we had come to much better and with far more authority. So we just let him and sat there watching the show. Between Lord Shikei and the treaty, which had backdated the Legion to always being Imperial, Hikahime was set free.” He gave a small smile. “Yamada had never been to a court before, the Utaku avoid the courts. Yet with her as delegation head, we accomplished all our goals. She saw to her duties to the Unicorn clan, and to you…but she lost everything she gained for herself.”
“Zetsubou told me that she wanted to return home,” Harun said. “Now that I have been here, I understand why.”
“I do hope,” said Kousuda sadly, “that one day, when it is all over with Michio and the Black Hand, that she will.”

Before he left the guest camp, Harun went in to the Lion yurt. Zetsubou was lying on a futon, wrapped up with a blanket, his eyes closed and his face peaceful as if he were sleeping.
Majid was also there.
“I thought I might find you here,” said Harun. “I guess this is where we part?”
“Not yet, not that easily,” said Majid. “You will see me at Shiro sano Ken Haya, no dount the Lion will turn out in force for the funeral of one of their heroes.”
Harun looked down at Zetsubou’s peaceful face. “I hope so, his sacrifice shouldn’t be forgotten.”
We will remember,” said Majid. “And we can make sure that Zetsubou is not forgotten, by telling everyone about him. How he lived, how he died. Then they will know too and can tell others.”
“Zetsubou would not have liked that,” Harun said slyly.
“Well, we can’t always get what we want,” said Majid. “And we certainly can’t control how we are remembered.” He handed Harun a satchel full of letters. “Better for you to do that than me, I’m going to look very out of place in Lion lands. Not, that that won’t stop meeting you there.”

And so the next day, when the sky was clear and the first signs of grass were beginning to appear through the snow, Harun left Unicorn lands. He travelled with Ikoma Sesuke, the Lion riding in the ox cart where Zetsubou’s body was secured.
They went east, following the river. At Sesuke’s request, they stopped at the place where Zetsubou had died. The torii arch and stone platform were still sanding. It was perfectly peaceful with no sign at all of what had happened there.
The next day they continued on, crossing the river near Kaeru Toshi and entering the lands of the Lion Clan.
Scribe and Adopted Crane

Kakita_Harun
Taisa

Postby Kakita_Harun » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:52 pm

Much of the Lion lands had been overrun by the Onyx hordes, but there were signs of recovery and repair. It took them a few days of heading north to get to Shiro sano Ken Haya—the Castle of the Swift Sword. They rested in inns when they could and beneath the wagon when they couldn’t.
They arrived at the castle in the early afternoon, Shiro sano Ken Haya was impressive and size and majesty. Its tall white walls, the many different buildings, towers and yellow flags flurring in the wind. It was a sight to see. On the battlements, they could see sentries on patrol and alert. So alert that a party of bushi came out to meet them.
They questioned Harun, but when they showed a little Zetsubou had written in the event of this, stamped with his chop, things were less tense. It not only got their attention, but a full escort to the castle.
Once inside, the Kitsu took custody of Zetsubou’s body. Sesuke went with them and Harun was shown to guest quarters. He knew he probably should bathe and rest, but he knew he wouldn’t be able to relax until he had done what he had come to do. He asked a servant where he might find Akodo Kibo.

Harun was directed to the senseis’ chambers, small spartan rooms not far from the Swift Sword Dojo. Most of them were unoccupied as classes were currently in session, but lounging in the doorway of one of the rooms was a lioness. It was massive, with golden fur, powerful paws and sharp claws. It reminded Harun a little of the Kitsu he had seen at the ritual. It was sleeping, its head between its outstretched paws like a temple guardian.
Had it seen him? Was it the right room? Harun tried to peep inside to see if the room was occupied, but a noren door curtain blocked it out.
A woman’s voice hissed at him in a loud whisper. “Who are you, and what are you doing here?”
Harun quickly turned, his hand instinctively going to his daisho. He was face to face with a young woman not that much older than he was. She wore the yellow kimono of the Lion Clan with the mons of the Akodo family and the Matsu beast master school in brown. And on her face, was the fury of a protective lioness.
Fortunately, Harun was able to able to rely on his court training. It gave you a script when you didn’t know what to say.
“I am Kakita Harun, Akodo-san,” he said, bowing a little deeper than perhaps was warranted. “I have come from Shiro Moto bearing the missives from Akodo Zetsubou-sama, Sodan Senzo and Jade Magistrate.”
“What?” asked the woman, the lioness at their feet made a low growl, so for his own sake Harun decided to explain more.
“I come on Akodo Zetsubou-sama’s instructions to bring you these,” he said, holding out the satchel to her.
“That’s impossible, he is dead,” she said coldly.
“I know, Akodo-san,” Harun said, looking into her eyes so she could see he was in earnest. “I was with him when he died.”
She looked him up and down, looking from the satchel to him and back again. “You just arrived with his body, didn’t you?”
Harun nodded.
She looked at him again, confused. “What did you say your name was again?”
“Kakita Harun, Akodo-san,” he said. “I am the son of Kakita Karasu.”
There was a flash of recognition and surprise that went over her face. “Wait…no,” she said. “You’re Utaku Yamada’s son, aren’t you?”
Now it was Harun’s turn to be surprised. “Yes…how did you know?”’
“My father knew your mother, he knew her very well. He told me about her, and you,” she said, all the anger and hostility disappearing from her. “My apologies, I am Akodo Miraiko, daughter of Akodo Kinbo.”
“I am honoured to meet you, Akodo Miraiko-san,” said Harun with a bow. “It is your father I have come to see.”
“My father cannot see anyone, Kakita-san,” said Miraiko defensively. “He has been taken ill and needs rest to recover, kami-willing.”
“Nevertheless,” said Harun, a hint of steel entering his voice. “I am honour-bound to see him.”
The two samurai stared at each other, like duellists who had reached an impasse that neither were willing to concede.
We can bend of we can break, thought Harun.
Fortunately, they didn’t need to do either. There was a stir inside the room, a low voice calling out. The lioness in the doorway rose to its feet, looking up at Miraiko.
She closed her eyes and sighed deeply. “Wait here,” she said, going inside.
Harun peered around the curtain. He could see Miraiko kneeling beside a futon, leaning over and speaking softly to someone lying on it. What surprised Harun was the gentleness she showed, a complete contrast to the barely restrained hostility she had shown to him.
She returned, speaking to Harun in a low tone. “He says you can come in,” she said, sounding reluctant. “But not for long, not now.”
“I understand,” Harun said, following her inside.
Harun wasn’t sure what to expect to see when he entered the room. He had gotten to know Zetsubou well in his time at Shiro Moto, but the Sodan Senzo had not spoken of his brother. Would he see something like Zetsubou’s red hair and Lion eyes? Judging by his daughter, it was unlikely.
Lying in that bed was a man that seemed to be in his forties, but looked much older. There were lines on his face, and grey in his hair. But these were from the stress of battle, the grief of losing men. Not age, not time. And there were the scars, far too many that should have been on a man still living.
But that wasn’t all there was there, there was also the illness Miraiko had spoken of. There was a weakness in his right hand so that Miraiko had to help him left a cup to his mouth. When he spoke, the words seemed thick as if effort was needed to form them.
Harun wanted to cry. He remembered Kibo, a little, he had been one of his father’s staff officers. And, he remembered now, he had led a handpicked squad of bushi on dangerous missions, the Golden Company.
Such a mighty lion, brought so low.
Harun knelt beside the futon and bowed low from the waist.
“I am honoured that you were able to see me, Akodo-sama,” he said. “I have come on the instructions of your brother, Akodo Zetsubou-sama.”
“Harun…” said Kibo, his voice was weak and low. “You were with…Zetsubou.”
“Yes,” said Harun, “I was with him when he died.
Miraiko flashed Harun a vicious look.
Oh no, thought Harun, she hasn’t told him…
“No need to…tell me,” Kibo said. “I knew, and I knew…you would come.”
“He said it would you to see me,” Harun said. “You knew my mother, and he said you would need friends.”
Kibo sighed. “Yamada…” His eyes glazed over. “Perhaps it’s…best she isn’t here.” He started coughing, Miraiko helped him drink some more water.
“Father, you need to rest, I am sure this can all wait until the morning,” she said.
“Of course,” said Harun, he put down the satchel. “I will leave these here. Thank you again for seeing me, Akodo-sama.”
“No…” said Kibo. “Thank you, Harun.”
Scribe and Adopted Crane

KakitaKaori
Shireikan

Postby KakitaKaori » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:28 am

<sniff> :(
Kakita Kaori
Kenshinzen of Golden Petal Village and overly prolific fiction writer
http://craneclan.weebly.com/
[Kakita Kyoumi/WC5]

Kakita_Harun
Taisa

Postby Kakita_Harun » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:29 pm

Sorry for the lack of update, these past few days have been very busy. Things should quiet down after the weekend though

Shiro sano Ken Hayai was the ruling seat of the Kitsu family, built on the bones of the first five of the Kitsu race. However, it was the Akodo family that administered the castle and province, allowing the Kitsu family to fully dedicate themselves to their higher purpose as the guardians of the souls of the Lion Clan. And this was well needed, as the castle was in a strategic location for the deployment of the Lion armies.
It was also the location of the largest and most prestigious Akodo dojo as well as the Akodo War College. Many renowned samurai had both trained and taught within its walls.
Harun heard a lot of this and more when he went up onto the walls and found Akodo Takara, the same one that he had bested in the last round of the Topaz Championship the previous spring. It felt good to be up there, in the open air and to talk about more normal things.
“I’ve been stationed here since then,” he told Harun. “But things will be moving once the summer begins, once the mustering.”
“You’re going to see some action?” Harun asked.
Takara nodded with a smile. “You told me you wanted to get in the Emerald Legion, perhaps we will see each other.”
“Perhaps,” said Harun, returning his nod.
Things were moving, always moving. Spring was arriving, and after that summer, the season of war.

The next morning a note was sent to Harun’s room. So, after a wash, and a light meal, Harun went to Akodo Kibo’s office. The room was small and sparsely furnished, but it did have a window that looked out onto the courtyard garden below. In front of it in a small vase on a small table was an ikebana arrangement: a small snowdrop, a white chrysanthemum and a small yellow daffodil.
Kibo was seated behind the desk, propped up by kyusoku armrests. He looked slightly more alert than when Harun had seen him the previous day. Though there still the weakness in his right hand, apparent when he put down his calligraphy brush.
“Harun-san, please, come-in,” he said, gesturing him to sit opposite. He sounded a little more confident today, but there was still the effort, the deliberateness.
The surroundings reminded Harun very much of the Kakita Academy, like when he was summoned to the Master Sensei Kenshin’s office for discipline. Tradition surrounded them, unchanged no matter who occupied this room.
And this was actually a little curious.
How, amongst all this, did his mother Yamada fit? He knew the Unicorn had traditions, but they were their own and they also favoured practicality. Harun doubted that many Lion would agree with that.
And then there was Zetsubou, different again. It was a tangle.
Harun had many questions, but he knew that he would be the one providing the answers. At least, right now.
Tea was brought, Kibo poured with his left hand, and with a little difficulty.
“I have heard a little…about you,” the Lion said. “Kakita Academy…Topaz Champion. You…bested one of my students.”
“Akodo Takara?” Harun said, “Yes, I was talking to her earlier.”
“That must have taken…some skill,” Kibo said. “Perhaps I should see for myself before you leave. Miraiko could…certainly use some ‘humbling’.”
“Did you spar with my mother, Akodo-sama?” Harun asked.
Kibo nodded, sipping his tea with a little difficulty, but with more success than the previous day. “It was the day before court began,” he said. “Each of us had beaten twice…and in the final round we both refused to give in and…my bokken broke.” He smiled a little, remembering. “It sort of symbolised…the conflict between us. Two samurai unwilling to yield, but one of us had to.”
“Do you mean the Legion?” Harun asked. “Akodo Kano?”
Kibo frowned at the mention of the name. “ Yes, Kano,” he said quietly. “We had plans…frightening ones. But we weren’t the only ones with those…” He looked off into space. “Now the Legion…it might not still have existed now without Yamada…but how she did it, isn’t really a model for a courtier.” He managed a small smile. “Your father, Kakita Karasu, did he tell you of Hikahime-no-fortune?”
Harun smiled. “He said,” he said, then added. “And, I met her.”
Kibo stared at him. “Was this…with Zetsubou?”
Harun nodded again. “She is in the Blessed Guard,” he said. “But she wasn’t one for veneration.”
“That sounds like her,” said Kibo, nodding.
For a moment there was a silence between them, but Harun knew what needed to be said.
“I was with Zetsubou when…when he died,” Harun said. “Though, that is hardly the best way to say what happened.”
“Tell me,” said Kibo.
Harun told him, relating the best he could what had happened. He knew what we would say would pale in comparison to anything Majid said when he eventually arrived. Harun kept his eyes averted for the most part, but every so often he stole or look at the Lion sensei’s face. But it was blank, unreadable.
When Harun was finished, Kibo was silent for a long time. ”Thank you, Harun-san,” Kino said at last.
“No thanks are necessary, Akodo-sama,” said Harun. “I am only performing a duty as promised.”
“Yes…you have,” said Kibo. “But…that is not all…you have done.”
He looked tired now, tired and old. Harun politely excused himself, Kibo dismissed him with a nod. A servant came in to the room as Harun left.
Scribe and Adopted Crane

Kakita_Harun
Taisa

Postby Kakita_Harun » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:41 am

Sorry about the long delay with updates, here is something rather substantial

-------

That afternoon, Harun found a quiet place not far from the Swift Sword Dojo to practice. The air had turned cool, but after a few rounds of drills with a bokken, he had warmed up.
He then put aside the bokken and unsheathed his katana. He held his blade in front of his face, keeping it still while he concentrated on his breathing. Then, he sank into the centre stance, still familiar as always but somehow it felt a little different, and had been ever since the ritual. It somehow felt even easier to go into, and he felt even more in control.
Then, with perfect grace and execution, he went into the technique, the Way of the Crane. He smiled, pleased with his mastery of it. Perhaps, when he returned to the Kakita Academy, Kenshin-sensei would say he was ready to learn the next technique.
One step closer to be a kenshinzen, Harun thought. He knew it had been his father Karasu’s dearest wish to be a kenshinzen, but this had been dashed when he had been called to assume the office of Emerald Champion.
Perhaps I will succeed where he did not, thought Harun, father would be so proud…
“Kakita-san?”
Harun turned around. Ikoma Sesuke was approaching. Harun quickly sheathed his sword.
“Ikoma-san, it is good to see you,” said Harun with a bow.
“My apologies, I didn’t wish to disturb you,” Sesuke said, bowing in return. “But I have wanted to speak with you.”
“Feel free,” Harun said. “I am at your disposal.”
They walked around the courtyard.
“As you can imagine, there has been more than a little curiosity about how Akodo Zetsubou-shyro died,” he said. “I am not sure if you know of this but he is…was, a fairly prominent figure in the Lion Clan. Not just what you know of him, being Jade Magistrate and with the seals, but he was of the true Kitsu bloodline.” They walked around in silence for a few minutes. “I am getting questions about it, and I am already getting more than I can answer. And there will be more, from the Kitsu and Akodo leadership as well as the Ikoma Omoidasu from the Hall of Scribes. Particularly,” he added, looking at Harun, “as the plans for his funeral are beginning to be made.”
Harun nodded. “I can only hope that will be worthy of the sacrifice that he made.”
“Oh, it will,” said Sesuke reassuringly. “The Lion venerate their heroes, you can be sure of that. But I wanted to ask if you would oblige me in something.”
“Of course,” said Harun. “Anything I can do to help.”
“I want you to tell of your account of Akodo Zetsubou-no-shryo’s death,” said Sesuke. “What you told me. What you spoke about, the ritual itself, the shryo and the Kitsu coming out of the torii arch…everything.”
“I will, of course,” promised Harun. “But should you not also ask Moto Majid as well? He knows far more about what happened than I do. And he knew Zetsubou-shryo for far longer, they worked together on the ritual.”
“I see your point, but I think would be better coming from you, Kakita-san,” said Sesuke. “You are a Kakita and a Crane, Topaz Champion and son of the Emerald Champion. Moto Majid may be an Ishiken…but he is also a Unicorn. And relations between them and the Lion…have not been the best, particularly since Kaeru Toshi.”
Which I had a hand in, Harun remembered. Out loud, he said. “If they want to hear the whole story, they need to talk to him,” insisted Harun. “Perhaps I can convince them to listen to him.”
“If you say that, Kakita-san,” you may be able to,” said Sesuke.

They went the next afternoon, Sesuke taking Harun to a different part of the castle. It was a little different from where the dojo was. Much quieter.
And much older, noticed Harun.
They went past to the entrance to a temple which Sesuke said led to the Shrine of the First Five Kitsu. The ones who had married the daughters of Akodo-no-kami and had founded the Kitsu family.
He led Harun into the tenshukaku which was opposite of the temple, and then up onto the third floor to a small reception room. Two men were already seated inside on cushions side by side. They rose to their feet when Harun and Sesuke entered.
Sesuke introduced them: Ikoma Akira, Omodasu from the Ikoma Hall of Scribes and Akodo Kichirou, karo to the Champion of the Lion Clan, Akodo Ashida.
“Sesuke-san has been telling us how you were with Akodo Zetsubou-no-shryo when he gave his life to cleanse the taint,” said Akodo Kichirou, bowing. He was a tall man, at least fifty at Harun’s guess but toned and taught like a whip. His face was hard, stern but not unpleasant and an eyepatch covered where his left eye had been.
“Was it Zetsubou-no-shryo’s wish that you were to tell of this?” Ikoma Akira asked. “Is that why you were asked to witness the ritual?” He was different again. Younger, shorter than Kichirou and stocky. The calligraphy brush he held looked as if it would snap like a twig in his grip.
“I’m not sure,” confessed Harun. “but I will gladly fulfil this duty now, anything to make sure his memory is preserved.”
They made small talk, the Lion asking Harun polite questions about his travels and his time in Unicorn lands as well as the Topaz Championship the previous spring. They seemed very informed about Harun and seemed to be stalling for some reason.
Harun didn’t have long to wonder why though, a young woman entered the room. She didn’t appear to be much older than Harun, she wore a simple brown and yellow shugenja’s robe with the mon of the Kistu family on it, her dark hair was styled simply in a knot at the back of her head and her brown eyes had a slightly gold tint to them.
Like Zetsubou, thought Harun.
Everyone turned towards and bowed low, Sesuke introduced Harun to her: Kitsu Yukiko, Damiyo of the Kitsu family.
“Thank you for coming, Kakita-san,” she said to Harun, giving him a small but kind smile, then turning to the others. “My apologies for the delay, mina-san, shall we begin?”
They took their seats on the cushions, a servant brought tea for them then retreated. Akira posed with his paper, ink and brush and nodded to Yukiko.
Yukiko turned to Harun. “When you are ready, Kakita-san.”
Harun told them what had happened. He began with his promise the night before, then on to the ritual itself with the shryo and Kitsu coming out of the torii archway. When he got to Zetsubou’s death itself, again Harun found it difficult to speak of. Yukiko was patient though, giving Harun the time he needed to speak and asking questions at appropriate moments.
When Harun was done, there was quiet for a long moment. Harun finished his tea while Akira took down the last of his notes. Yukiko sat in silent contemplation for a moment, her head bowed as if in prayer.
Finally, she spoke. “Thank you once again, Kakita-san,” she said. “Your words will no doubt help with the commemoration of Zetsubou-no-shryo’s memory.”
“That is my sincerest hope, Kitsu-sama,” said Harun. “But there is one request that I would make of you, if I would be so bold.”
“Oh?” she said, a little surprised. “Go on, then.”
Harun could hear some sounds of protest from the Lion, but he pressed on.
“I consider my account to be incomplete and rather ignorant compared to one that that Moto Majid would give you,” said Harun. “I strongly urge you, Kitsu-sama, to speak with him when he arrives.”
Akodo Kichirou cleared his throat. “Surely, Kitsu-sama, this is not…”
Yukiko held up a hand to silence him. “Thank you, Kichirou-san,” she said, then turning to Harun. “I will be most interested to meet Moto Majid, Kakita-san, if you could arrange it.”
“Of course, Kitsu-san,” said Harun, bowing. “It would be my pleasure.”
Yukiko looked a little sad. “Zetsubou-no-shryo once told me something of him before he left,” she said. “I think it is time that we met.”

Harun was walking back to his room and he passed one of the courtyard that divided the Swift Sword Dojo from the living and guest quarters. Seated on a bench, rugged up against the chill of the evening was Kibo with his daughter Miraiko. They sat talking, completely oblivious to anything else around them, including Harun, seeming in some sort of disagreement.
Harun tried to leave quietly, then something made him stop. A man approached them, holding a bundle in his arms which he handed to Miraiko.
A baby, Harun realised, she’s a mother.
The young man who was presumably Miraiko’s husband, stood over her, a hand protectively on his wife’s shoulder. A look passed between him and Kibo. Then there was a nod of acknowledgement, of agreement.
Harun left then, no longer wishing to be a party to such a private family moment. But still, he wondered.
Scribe and Adopted Crane

Kakita_Harun
Taisa

Postby Kakita_Harun » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:50 am

Majid arrived three days later, travelling on horseback accompanying the cart that Zetsubou’s wife Akodo Nikako travelled in with the small children. Akodo Koneko rode as well, her red hair catching the light of the sun as the part rode into Shiro sano Ken Hayai, shadowed by the escorts that Majid had arranged for their journey.
They weren’t the only ones on the road either, Akodo Ashida, Champion of the Lion Clan arrived the same afternoon with a full military escort. Many of them joining the large encampment that encircled the castle that seemed to be growing by the day.
There was more than a little confusion in the main courtyard of the castle with so many arriving at once, but it wasn’t hard for Harun to spot Majid. Not just because he was the only one in purple in a sea of yellow and brown, not just because his dark, bearded face stood out amongst the paler, sleanshaven ones, but because the Lion were giving him a wide berth.
If Majid noticed it, he didn’t let it bother him. He approached Harun, giving him a broad smile and a warm handshake in full view of the Lion that surrounded them.
And if Majid didn’t care, Harun didn’t either.
Across the courtyard, Harun could see Kibo and Miraiko greeting the rest of their family. There was a happy if sombre mood over the group. Harun wanted to leave then, not intrude on a family moment. Koneko looked over to him and they met eyes. She gave him a smile then exchanged a few words with her mother and headed towards them.
“Kakita-sama,” she said, making a bow.
Majid laughed, breaking in before Harun could respond. “There’s no need for such formality, Koneko-chan,” he said.
“I know,” she said, blushing slightly when she caught Harun’s eye again. “But then, it’s this place, it’s as if…”
“I know,” Harun said, smiling reassuringly. Being constantly surrounded by the traditions of the Lion had had an effect on him as well. “It is good to see you Koneko-san.”
Koneko gave a sad smile and looked down. “Mother said to invite you to dine us tonight.”
“Thank you,” said Harun, “but we wouldn’t want to intrude on your family.”
Koneko’s face fell.
“Of course we will be there,” said Majid in a loud voice, giving Koneko a broad smile. “You go and tell her we will be there.”
Koneko gave a nod then headed back, looking over her shoulder back at Harun. Harun smiled back at her, but his stomach was turning uncomfortable knots, Koneko was a nice girl, but Harun knew his future lay elsewhere.
Scribe and Adopted Crane

Kakita_Harun
Taisa

Postby Kakita_Harun » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:27 am

Harun and Majid went riding after that, taking advantage of the light. The Plains of Bloodied Honour had nothing on the vastness of the steppes of the Unicorn lands. But to be in the saddle, riding free with the wind in his hair…there was nothing like it.
Majid grinned when he looked over at Harun. “Not enjoying your garden, Niwa no Moto?” He laughed. “You are the one who wanted to go back to it.”
“Not for long,” said Harun as they slowed their horses to a walk. “I’ll be heading for the Emerald Legions soon after I get back.”
“And that girl of yours?” Majid teased.
“Arahime,” Harun said, his heart leapt to say her name. “I’ll be seeing her first, I promised.” He turned to Majid. “What about you, Majid? I assume there is little that could be done to stop you moving.”
Majid laughed again. “You would think so,” he said. “The Khan told me in no uncertain terms that the next thing for me was to marry. It’s been put off for a number of years, and it will all happen when I return to Shiro Moto.”
Majid, settling down and marrying, Harun thought, it’s almost comical.
“Well, I wish you many blessings then,” said Harun warmly.
“Thank you,” Majid said.
They rode on in silence for a few more minutes.
“Majid, there is something I wanted to ask you,” said Harun. “Zetsubou asked me to see to his brother, Kibo, have you met him?”
“I saw him earlier,” said Majid. “He did not look well.”
“He has been that way since the ritual,” said Harun. “Would you be able to help him?”
Majid was silent for a long moment. “I might not be able to do anything,” said Majid. “But I can try.”
“Thank you,” said Harun.
As they turned back towards the shiro, a cool wind blew in towards their faces. And then snow started to fall. First in small flakes, then bigger and more numerous.
Majid laughed. “Well, this is going to change things a little.”
Harun laughed, leaning back and letting the snowflakes fall on his face.

The snow didn’t pass, it intensified. By evening, it was beginning to pile up a little in the courtyards. Some of the younger dojo students started to throw it around at each other. Harun passed them on the way to dinner, he could see little Kobo there playing with his younger brother Waito.
Harun walked up to them, they didn’t notice him but as he was wearing his purple and white cloak they probably didn’t recognised him, so he dropped the hood.
Kibo showed his little brother how to make a snowball, then dropped it when he saw Harun.
“Harun!” Kibo said, running towards him. “You look like a Moto! Majid said you fought with them, and you were in a duel.”
“I was,” said Harun, smiling gently at Waito who was hiding behind his older brother. “How do you like the Akodo dojo?”
“I haven’t seen much,” said Kibo. “But Miraiko has promised to take us around tomorrow, see the students practice and spar.” He gave a sad smile, reaching back to grab his brother’s hand.
Harun gave the boys a warm, friendly smile that he hoped was comforting.
So young, and to lose their father…
“Kibo…Waito…” Koneko came out of one of the buildings, then stopped in surprise when she saw Harun.
“I am expected, remember?” said Harun.
“Oh yes,” she said, signalling for the others to follow her. “Everyone is here.”
Scribe and Adopted Crane

Return to “Fiction”