L5R - Birds in their Nests - A Post Winter Court story

For discussions on official fictions and fan-fictions alike.
Kakita_Harun
Taisa
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: L5R - Birds in their Nests - A Post Winter Court story

Postby Kakita_Harun » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:32 pm

Arrival of the Emerald Champion, and someone else...

As autumn went on, Harun continued to thrive. He was a curious baby, content to watch things and grasp things in his reach with his tiny fists. Like the tail of the kite that had been And he was almost always held. By Yamada, by Izumi or Sukine. And by Kyoumi or Kousuda. They said it was good practice.
Kyoumi though found her own pregnancy rather trying. The sickness passed but the fatigue did not. Kokoro put her on a diet of strong teas and broths to build up her energy. But this only seemed to help a little. Kyoumi, of course, insisted on continuing her duties with Kozan as usual. This caused more than a little disagreement between her and Kousuda until a compromise was reached. Kousuda had her promise to reduce the time she spent in the Imperial Palace, and to travel there by palanquin rather than walk. Kyoumi also agreed to get skilled assistance with her duties. Two scribes worked with her on rotation, taking down dictation from Kyoumi while she rested, running messages back and forward from the palace, or reading long documents for her and preparing summaries for her to read.
“I feel useless,” she said to Yamada. They sat on the terrace with Harun lying on a blanket between them, trying to eat his tiny fists. “But you do know what it’s like to feel capable, but unable.”
Yamada nodded. She had started getting back into her training and had found it very difficult at first to get back into fighting shape after the birth. At least now that Kousuda was home she could go to the Unicorn dojo some days. She even took Harun sometimes.
“It won’t be for long,” Yamada reminded her. “Just until the spring, and then you’ll have your child in your arms.”
Kyoumi gave a feeble smile and said nothing.

As autumn turned to winter, Otosan Uchi began to fil up with people arriving for the expected Imperial Court. Yamada was interested in what was going to happen over the course of the winter, but was glad to be very much on the periphery of this. Of course, staying in Kousuda and Kyoumi’s house she would be aware of what was going on.
And there were people she was looking forward to seeing. One of them she happened to encounter entirely by chance when she was out one afternoon.
She had been out to see Yukari with Harun. Things had much improved for Yukari since her marriage. She told Yamada she didn’t have to see people unless she really wanted to. Momoko had always been pressuring her younger sister to be more social, but when Yamada visited it was her husband Tatsumi who usually opened the door. He was far more open to visitors and conversation and seemed to take a delight in Harun.
Yamada was on her back, Harun secured in a sling on her back, crossing the Emperor’s Road into the Chisei District, when she saw them. The bright emerald green banners with the golden chrysanthemum and laurels. The Emerald Champion had arrived.
The crowd moved aside to let the large contingent through, Yamada moved with them trying to get a spot where she could see. First came the soldiers, in many colours all marching under the banner of the Emerald Legion, samurai and peasant marching side by side. There were waves, there were cheers. The people of Otosan Uchi had not forgotten them, back when they were the Last Legion and seemed to be the only thing between them and the hordes of the Onyx.
After the soldiers came some of the officers, some astride a horse, some on foot. And behind them, astride a white horse was the Emerald Champion himself, Kakita Karasu.
The reception he got from the crowd was slightly more muted. Not much was known about him before his appointment a year ago, and to many he seemed far too young for the position at the age of twenty. But Yamada, who had been instrumental in that, knew better. And she had hoped, hoped a lot.
She watched him as he rode by, tall and confident on the white mare. An impressive figure in the green armour of the Emerald Champion with its tassels, laurels and gold accents. The sword of the Emerald Champion at his side, his banner held aloft behind him.
What Yamada was most curious about was how the responsibility weighed on him. She remembered that afternoon a year ago at Shiro Mirumoto when she had first put the idea to him. To her surprise, the brash, flashy Kakita duellist she had met at the start of court had been truly humbled by it and the immense duty it meant. This had only helped matters.
But Karasu wasn’t betraying anything now. Beneath his green and gold helmet his expression was set and determined. Slightly detached from what was going on, but not enough to convey aloofness. Yamada watched him pass by, he didn’t see her or Harun, but then that was no surprise.
He’s probably trying to stay on that horse, she thought to herself with a wicked grin.
She turned to go, but another cheer at someone else riding by made her look back. Riding behind Karasu was an older man on a gaijin-bred war horse. He wore the purple of the Unicorn, covered in bright chain mail and his helmet had a horn on each side.
Yamada drew in a breath in surprise. That helmet, that armour, that wild Moto hair. It was unmistakable. It was the former Shogun of the Empire and founder of the Last Legion. Moto Taigo.
Scribe and Adopted Crane

Kakita_Harun
Taisa
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Kakita_Harun » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:23 pm

Little update and more later. But I give you Doji Arami!

Yamada walked back quickly, her thoughts whirling. Her mind turning back to a year ago, back when it seemed an impossible task to get the Last Legion recognised. The price to get most of the Great Clans on their side was for the Unicorn Clan to support Akodo Kano, who at the time had declared himself Shogun of the Empire.
It was something that still did not sit well with her. To pass over the actual Shogun, Taigo. who had been appointed by the Emperor and was a member of her own clan to support Kano, someone whom most people had concerns about how far he would go to secure peace and order. By doing this, they had accomplished much, the results of which she had just witnessed. But she still wished there had been another way.
When she arrived back at Kyoumi and Kousuda’s house, Sumiko met her at the door.
“A visitor has arrived, Utaku-sama,” she said, holding Harun while Yamada removed her shoes.
“I’ll feed and settle Harun first, Sumiko,” she said, taking Harun from her. “Please convey my excuses and tell them I will be in shortly.”
It’s probably one of Kyoumi’s friends, Yamada thought when she was in her room.
When Harun was safely asleep, Yamada changed and then emerged from her room to see the guest. And she got a shock. Sitting at the table with Kyoumi and Kousuda was Doji Arami.
“Arami!” Yamada smiled in surprise. “When did you arrive? So quiet, but so very like you.”
“It is good to see you too, Yamada-san,” Arami said, standing up from the table and coming over to give her a courtly bow. “I only just arrived today, Kyoumi-san and Kousuda-san have generously invited me to stay while my residence is being made ready.” The words he said were perfectly conventional, but were spoken with a grace an elegance that at the same time did not draw attention to himself. “You are looking well,” he said.
“As are you,” said Yamada.
And different, she added in thought. Doji Arami, the quiet and unassuming courtier had walked away from Shiro Mirumoto with the post of Imperial Agriculturalist. He had spent the months since touring much of Rokugan on behalf of the Imperial Treasurer. Visiting farms, assessing the conditions of the land, talking to the peasants and assisting them with new ways of farming. But on that time on the road had had an effect, his lily-white skin had been touched by the sun. He looked thinner, leaner from the months of travelling.
But that wasn’t the only reason Arami had Yamada’s respect. Arami had been one of the signatories of the Shogun Treaty and the Last Legion Treaty, and an invaluable help to Yamada with the latter as she had written it herself and had needed help with the language.
And through the network of contacts he had made with the Emperor’s Chosen, he had saved the life of the peasant general Hikahime when she had been on trial for her life before the Emperor. Had Arami not helped, had Hikahime been executed, the Legion would likely have rebelled. Yamada may have been the one who was able to get the legion legitimised, by it was Arami who had saved it.
But all of this and the more he had done seemed quite removed from Arami’s demeanour. He was full of gifts, some special daifuku that was the first of a new recipe he had managed to get from a peasant far to the south in Crane lands. They ahd some at the end of their meal and it was soft, sweet, and very good. There was also a little jar of honey for Harun, rare and as precious as gold in these times of famine and want.
Arami was full of stories as well, telling of his travels in the lands of the Crane and Lion clans that he was able to visit. Speaking of the places he had visited and the people he had met.
“Many were happy to see that they had not been completely forgotten,” he said. “The harvest should be slightly better this year, but there is hope for next year and the year after.”
And hope is all we have for that, thought Yamada. Aloud, she said, “I assume you are quite a rider now, Arami-san,” she said. The Unicorn had shown their gratitude for him saving Hikahime by giving him a horse. A placid mare named Mari. Yamada had also made sure that Arami had a groom that travelled with him that could show him how to take care of his horse as well as show him how to ride.
The Doji gave a small smile. “The groom you sent with me, Sesuke, has been very patient with me,” he said. “It was a little slow at first, but with Mari’s faithful service I have been able to cover far more distance. I cannot thank you and your clan enough, Yamada-san.”
“It is we who should be thanking you, Arami,” said Yamada sincerely. “First you save the legion, now you save Rokugan.”
“Indeed,” said Kousuda, nodding in agreement.
“Thank you,” was all Arami could say.
Seeing Arami was a little embarrassed at all this praise, Yamada changed the subject.
“I saw Karasu-sama coming in,” she said. “In the full Emerald Champion regalia. Some of the Legion were with him, it was something to see.”
“Oh yes, Sumiko said the whole street was talking about it,” said Kyoumi. “I sent Izumi with a note to invite him here, but he sent one back saying he would call by later.
“He did?” Yamada asked, a little surprised.
There was a knock at the door and Izumi went to answer it.
Scribe and Adopted Crane

Kakita_Harun
Taisa

Postby Kakita_Harun » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:02 am

[When Karasu arrived, it was early evening. Izumi opened the door and she immediately dropped to her knees and pressed her face to the floor as was appropriate for meeting the Emperor’s Champion. When Karasu bid her to rise, she led him into the room and formally introduced him.
Everyone rose from the table and bowed formally to Karasu. How he reacted to this, Yamada couldn’t tell as Karasu’s on was impenetrable. It was still him, the weight of power and responsibility had not changed him much. But there was an effect, that couldn’t be denied, and this was only more noticeable as the evening went on. There was a distance between him and everyone else, a formality where there had once been easy camaraderie. Even between Karasu and Kyoumi who had been close. Karasu had changed, not too much, but enough.
He of course had changed out of his armour and the attire he wore was not formal, but clearly showed his difference in station. He wore a juban of a pale yellow with black hakama, covering that was a quilted jacket of emerald green.
Tea was served with some of Arami’s daifuku and the conversation turned a little lighter, led mostly by Kousuda. He asked Karasu about the Legion, of which Karasu was more than happy to speak of.
“When we arrived it was a little…mixed,” he told them. “The Legion was legitimised, we had supplies and weapons…but there was also the change in leadership.”
“I was worried about that,” Yamada confessed. “But it does look as if you managed to solve that. I noticed Moto Taigo rode in with in you.”
Kousuda’s eyes grew round with surprise and he swallowed his tea quickly. “Moto Taigo! You didn’t say he was with you!”
Karasu managed a slight smile that still didn’t break his on. “His help had been invaluable, him and Hikahime,” he said. “I still have a lot to learn from them, from both of them.”
Yamada nodded in approval. This was what she had been hoping for. A year ago when he had been appointed Emerald Champion, but he had been open to learning and in time would become the leader that the Legion needed.
Providing of course he wins the tournament, Yamada added in thought.
“How did things go with the Shogun?” Yamada asked. “Have you met with Akodo Kano-sama?”
“Well…” Karasu trailed off, deep in thought. “Let’s just say they could have gone better, and could have gone a lot worse,” he said. “We did manage to agree on terms though, and boundaries. The old Last Legion would become the new Emerald Legion, staying as it was. His army and any that the clans would send to him in support would form the rest of the Imperial Legions, with far more traditional organisation.”
“The Emerald Legions aren’t taking new recruits?” Kyoumi asked.
“We are, but only those who are free to volunteer themselves,” explained Karasu. “We’ve had a fair few Phoenix fleeing the turmoil in their lands, peasant and samurai, bushi and shugenja.”
There was a soft cry from Yamada’s room. It was Harun, he was awake and needed feeding. Karasu met her eye for a moment, a curious expression on his face that she couldn’t quite identify. She gave him a small smile, then excused herself to leave and tend to Harun.

As always, Harun was calmed by the sight of her and settled quickly on her breast. She tried to treasure every moment she spent with her son, right up until the day when she would have to leave him behind and she would no longer be his mother.
But now Karasu was here, that future was beginning to change shape. And almost before she was ready for it. Could she do it? It wasn’t really a choice. She had given her word to Michio, and now he was under the power of the Obsidian Dragon that promise mattered more.
Harun would have a good life. A father, and a mother now Karasu had married Asako Hitomi, brothers and sisters from the war orphans they would adopt. He would want for nothing.
But still, when she thought of that she felt the urge to hold Harun even tighter. Not to let him go. She looked down at him in her arms, his soft brown eyes looking up at her sleepily.
“This is the way it has to be, Harun-kun,” she said to her son. “And I guess a good start would be now.”
Yamada wrapped a white blanket around him.
“Let’s go and see your father,” she said, carrying him out with her.

Harun’s arrival in Yamada’s arms was met with smiled and sighs. Harun just seemed content to watch them all, his soft brown eyes taking in everything. She sat down at the table next to Arami. He turned towards them, holding the end of his fan out so the tassel dangled. Harun’s eyes watched it move, his chubby hands grabbed at it.
“Such quickness,” Arami remarked. “He’ll be a duellist yet.” He looked at Harun’s dark hands, perfect in their tininess. “He favours your Moto father, I am guessing?”
Yamada nodded. “I was hoping for that, a little,” she said. “None of us did, from myself or my older sisters.” She looked sad for a moment. “He does have Nakura’s eyes,” she said, smiling a little.
Karasu had been sitting quietly at the end of the table. Just watching, saying nothing. Again there was that expression on his face. A sort of softness, gentleness that Yamada had not seen in him. There was something else there too, a sort of amazement or wonder, as if something was slowly dawning on him.
“Would you like to hold him?” Yamada asked. But she already knew the answer.
She placed her son in Karasu’s arms. He seemed a little nervous at first, holding Harun as if he were fragile and could shatter like glass.
But then, gradually, he felt a little more confident. Gently, he stroked Harun’s curly black hair, gently touched his cheek, let Harun’s tiny hand clasp his finger.
Karasu whispered gently in Harun’s ear, his words with the softness of a butterfly’s kiss. “Hello, my son.”
And Harun, happy, warm and safe where he was, fell asleep in Karasu’s arms with a smile on his face.
Karasu looked up, his on completely gone from his face, the raw emotion having replaced it. In his face wasn’t just the respect of a person who would keep a promise, in there she saw a new father. There was the tenderness and love he would give Harun. There was also the fierce steel that would protect Harun from harm.
Kyoumi saw it too, she and Yamada met eyes across the table. Reassuring, comforting. Perhaps, at least for Harun, everything would be all right.

Kyoumi retired early, Arami went with Kousuda into the study to talk over trade and agricultural figures. Karasu went to leave, but Yamada wanted to talk to him first. So, after Yamada put Harun to bed, she joined Karasu outside on the terrace.
Out there, the air was chilly but perfectly still. The garden shone bright in the pale moonlight, the leaves and stones white with frost.
Karasu stood still, leaning against a pillar, the emerald green of his quilted jacket looked pale and sickly in the moonlight.
“I’m guessing you went to the palace after I saw you ride in,” said Yamada, her breath coming out in clouds in the cold air. “Is that where you are staying for court?”
“No,” Karasu said. “I’m at the barracks. Easier if there’s news and the tournament will be there.”
He was quiet, but Yamada knew what he was thinking.
“You’re going to win,” she told him. “Don’t worry about it.”
“That’s not all,” he told her. “Even if I do win, the result is not going to be as legitimate as it should. The Great Clans will send who they can spare, which is not the same as sending their best.” He looked at her, seeing the concern on his face. “Don’t worry, I’m confident I can make it go right in the end. So much of this job is about appearance, at least while I am here.”
“I think you know how to do that better than I do,” Yamada said quietly.
Karasu laughed, and it felt good to hear it. It lessened the distance between them a little.
“To be perfectly honest,” said Karasu. “I like this, this responsibility I’ve been given.” He sounded a little excited. “To serve, to help, to be of real use, to fight and to end this war.” He looked at Yamada again. “I only wish I could ask for your help, Yamada. Quite a few of the Legion know about you and what you have done, Hikahime saw to that. But to have you with our cavalry…”
Yamada pictured it in her mind. Riding Yoru at the head of a cavalry charge against the Onyx.
Oh, to be there…
She quickly dismissed it from her mind.
“I wish I could accept,” she said, truly meaning it. “But we all have our duties, our part to play. We have to fight this war, and end it so the children do not have to fight it for us.” She looked up at the moon. “I hope Harun will never have to fight in it.”
“So do I, Yamada,” said Karasu, his voice grave and solemn. “So do I.”
Scribe and Adopted Crane

Kakita_Harun
Taisa

Postby Kakita_Harun » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:27 am

The Imperial Winter Court began in earnest, Karasu visited as often as he could which was not as often as he liked. His wife Hitomi came more often though, she had also been at Shiro Mirumoto the previous winter but Yamada had not really met her. She was gentle and quiet and Yamada thought she would make Harun a good mother. She would sometimes carry Harun in the sling when she and Yamada would walk around the city, usually going down to the Imperial Legion barracks where Karasu usually was if he was not in the Forbidden City.
Harun began to be a bit of a favourite down at the barracks, some of the soldiers would find excuses to come in to speak to Karasu. Harun laid on a blanket on the floor, sucking on the soft toy horse that Karasu had given him.
Kousuda spent much of his day in the Forbidden City, and some evenings. As did Arami. The evenings they were not there, they brought news and gossip to Yamada and Kyoumi. Like the Emperor’s new Golden Throne, though it was made of shakudo that was only a little gold and mostly copper. It was ornately decorated with the mons of all the nine Great Clans in brilliant coloured enamels.
Privately, it made Yamada feel a little uneasy. Such a lavish thing when many in Rokugan were suffering the trials of war and famine. But she didn’t question it, a new throne was needed as the old Steel Throne which had been in use since the days of the Toturi Dynasty was still in Toshi Ranbo. And Toshi Ranbo was still held by the Onyx.
The scarcity of food from the famine was something Yamada kept in mind when preparing for Harun’s Okuizone, his First Food Celebration. She managed to procure the traditional set of dishes, red lacquerware for a boy, but lavishly celebrating food seemed somehow wrong. The food they usually ate was simple and in frugal servings. Miso soup, plain rice, pickles from the vegetables from the garden. Sometimes supplemented with flatbread and hummus that Kousuda favoured.
She talked this over with Sumiko, voicing her concerns. It seemed a bit trivial to speak to Kyoumi about. Sumiko assured Yamada she would do what she could with the limited resources available to her in the household. And several says later, she told Yamada she had succeeded in procuring what was necessary. She said nothing of how, but was especially gracious towards Arami for the rest of his stay.
The day of Harun’s Okuizone came. Yamada dressed Harun in festal clothing of purple and deep blue, an homage to both his parents. Karasu and Hitomi arrived at the appointed time, and with them was another guest.
“I do hope you don’t mind,” said Hitomi apologetically. “But she has only just arrived and assured me she did not want to miss this.”
Hitomi stepped aside to reveal who was standing behind her. Yasuki Yamase, eldest daughter of the Yasuki Damiyo. Yamada had known her at Shiro Mirumoto, she had been nakodo for her marriage to Nakura and Yamada had had to “bargain” with her in the Capturing of the Groom on her wedding day.
Right after court was over, Yamase had managed to get back to Crab lands where things were far worse than in the rest of Rokugan. She had promised Yamada she would tell Nakura’s family what had happened, if they were still alive.
And now, she was back.
Yamada welcomed her warmly inside, having her here for one of Harun’s rituals of life was a good sign. A member of Nakura’s own family, she led them all into the house. Izumi came out and put Harun in her arms, he seemed to regard the gathering sceptically.
Yamase had brought gifts for Harun as well. One was a wish doll, traditionally made by Crab mothers for their babies to guard against evil spirits. It was from Nakura’s sister, Momoibura.
“I do want to meet her,” said Yamada. Nakura had told her much about his sister as they were especially close. “How was she with…what happened?”
“Death is so constant there,” Yamase answered. “She was saddened by Nakura’s death, of course. But the news I brought her of a child on the way seemed to help.” She took out a small bamboo scroll case from his sleeve. “And this is my gift for Harun-kun, to make sure he knows his Yasuki heritage.”
After the customary offering and refusals, Yamada accepted it. She opened the case and inside was a scroll sealed with a wax Yasuki mon.
“Save it until he is older,” said Yamase. “Hopefully by then it will be known who he favours.”

There was a happy mood around the table that they all seemed to share. It was as if the war, the famine and everything else was gone for just that moment and they were like any other family in Rokugan celebrating one of the rituals of life.
Through one way or another, Sumiko managed to acquire food that was simple as well as celebratory. And it all looked good on the red lacquered dishes. There was steamed rice mixed with adzuki beans, a whole steamed carp, miso soup with a large piece of tofu in it, simmered spiced chickpeas and some pickled vegetables, endamame beans and a dried plum blossom fruit. And last of all were some smooth stones that were from the local shrine to help harden Harun’s teeth.
Yamada sat with Harun in her lap, trying to take interest in the rice she was offering him with the chopsticks. But he kept turning his head away, far more interested in the people watching him.
“I don’t think he is used to seeing this many people at once,” said Yamada.
“It’s all so new to him,” said Kyoumi with a smile.
Yamada tried to tempt him with the rice again. Harun flailed his arms wildly, knocking the chopsticks of Yamada’s hand, spraying them both with rice.
“It seems you are disarmed!” declared Karasu with a laugh. He took Harun so Yamada could brush the rice off her. “No doubt the first of many,” he said, holding Harun upright.
With a bit of help from Izumi, Yamada managed to get the rice off her hair and clothing. Harun was in Hitomi’s lap now, Karasu offering some tofu to him.
It was a touching scene, but a little painful for Yamada to see.
They already look like a family, she thought, gentle mother, doting father…but it should have Nakura and me. Everything I value was taken from me, and now I am giving the rest away.
Arami, who sat next to her around the corner of the table, was the only one who looked her way. To see that bittersweet feeling show on her face for just a moment. He didn’t say anything, he didn’t need to. The fact that he saw and that she knew he had was enough.

After the meal was done, Yamada took Harun to her room to feed him and put him down to sleep. When she returned, the conversation had turned a little more serious. Yamase was talking, her voice low and serious. Arami poured tea while they listened to her, pouring one for Yamada as she sat back down.
Yamase painted a grim picture of the lands of the Crab Clan. Much of the land had been overrun by the Onyx forces, and what wasn’t could not always been relied upon to be free of the Shadowlands Taint.
“I managed to get as far as Kyuden Hida,” Yamase said. “There’s too many people there than should be, but so many have nowhere else to go. It’s not only the Onyx that are killing the Crab, there’s hunger, there’s disease.” She looked at Yamada. “There are so few children being born there, and more are needed to replace the dead.”
Yamada nodded gravely. “’I do hope you secure the aid you need, Yamase-sama,” she said. “Is that why you have returned.”
“That is one reason,” said Yamase. “I will also be representing the Crab at the Test of the Emerald Champion.”
Yamada quickly looked at Karasu to see if there was any reaction, but it was as blank and penetrable as any Crane.
“Who else will be competing?” Kousuda asked, trying to lighten the mood.
“It’s just been finalised, I saw it this morning,” said Karasu. “Mirumoto Tanaka from the Dragon, Daigotsu Yukari for the Spider Clan—”
“Yukari?” Yamada asked in surprise. “She didn’t mention anything about it.”
“Akodo Tetsu will be there for the Lion,” Karasu continued. “Shogun Kano is here too, no doubt to see if he wins.”
Yamada nodded grimly.
“Shiba Eraki will be representing the Phoenix, Yoritomo Taketada for the Mantis,” Karasu said, counting them on his fingers. “And Ide Nekome for the Unicorn.”
“Ide Toboku-dono’s daughter?” Kousuda asked. Karasu confirmed with a nod. “Oh Yamada, I saw Toboku-dono earlier. She gave me this, and wishes to meet.” He gave Yamada a scroll sealed in wax with the Ide mon.
Yamada took it. “Of course, I will be glad to see Toboku-dono,” she said. “Do you know what she wanted to see me about?”
But Kousuda shook his head.
Scribe and Adopted Crane

Kakita_Harun
Taisa

Postby Kakita_Harun » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:19 pm

Ide Toboku, the Ide family damiyo, arrived the next afternoon. She was a woman in her forties, dressed in the Ide fashion of the gaijin-style deel with the fur trimmed hat and glass-beaded jewellery. With her was her daughter Nekome who was a few years older than Yamada, and was very quiet through the entire meeting.
It was a little unusual for Toboku to make a call to the house of one with lower status than herself. The proper protocol was for Yamada to visit her, but this was very much the Ide way, accommodating to a fault. Besides, Kousuda had also said Toboku had asked about Harun.
And when the welcomes were over with, Toboku presented her gift for Harun. A furin, a traditional glass windchime painted with dancing horses in bright colours.
Tea was served, pleasantries were traded. And then, when there was a lull in the conversation, Toboku finally got around to the object her visit.
“In these times of strife, it is always important to celebrate the rituals of life,” she said. “But I also bring word from Lord Moto, from what he has told me about you, Utaku-san, you acquitted yourself very well in the Imperial Court, even in the face of your own personal tragedy. Your actions brought considerable success for the Unicorn.”
“You are very kind to say so, Ide-dono,” said Yamada, bowing at Toboku’s praise. “I only wish to serve as best I can.”
“Such dedicated service should be rewarded,” said Toboku with a smile. She took out a leather scroll case decorated with the mon of the Unicorn in deep purple and sealed in wax. Yamada knew such a thing could only have come from Moto Chinua himself.
Yamada broke the seal and took out the scroll. It wasn’t a letter, it was orders. A commission giving her the rank of Taisa, with orders to take command of the Fourth Utaku Battlemaiden Legion in the spring. It bore Chinua’s official chip as Champion of the Unicorn Clan and Leader of the Khol.
“Taisa…of the Fourth Legion,” Yamada said, reading it again and again, a little dazed. “This…this was my mother’s command.”
Toboku nodded. “You have earned it, Utaku-san,” she said.
“I…thank you,” said Yamada. It felt awkward, Yamada knew there was no question in Toboku’s mind of her not accepting it. Yet this was what Yamada knew she had to do. And more, this was what Yamada had always wanted, if was after all why she had even been to Shiro Mirumoto in the first place.
She heard Harun waking up in the next room, Yamada excused herself, glad to have a reason to leave the table. She returned later with Harun in her arms.
“Mind if I hold him?” Toboku said.
Yamada handed him over with a smile. The Ide damiyo held Harun in her arms, smiling and talking to him but he seemed more interested in playing with her necklace.
“I do hope we can make a better world for you, Harun-kun,” she said. “And perhaps between all of us, the war could be over by the time you grow up.”

After Toboku had gone, Yamada sat in the living room a while, thinking. Harun was content to roll around on a blanket, wiggling his toes at the ceiling.
“Something is wrong, isn’t it?”
Yamada turned to see Kyoumi sitting behind her.
I should have known better than to try and hide what I was thinking from a Crane, she thought.
“Yes,” said Yamada. “It’s difficult to explain…ever since I have arrived here it is as if I have been lying to everyone. And to people to expect me to fall into line as I should do…as I always do.”
“You could explain it to them honestly,” Kyoumi suggested, but even she didn’t sound completely convinced about that.
Yamada shook her head. “I don’t think I could ever explain it to anyone in a way that could be understood,” she said. “Not even to Lord Chinua himself. It’s easier this way, but I am asking you, Kousuda, Karasu and everyone to lie for me. To protect me when I am…deserting the clan.”
“Not just for you, Yamada,” Kyoumi reminded her, looking down at Harun trying to eat his toes.”
“I know,” said Yamada, smiling at her son. “Will he understand all this though?”
“He will,” said Kyoumi. “I will make sure, we all will.”
Scribe and Adopted Crane

KakitaKaori
Shireikan

Postby KakitaKaori » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:30 pm

So hard when you have conflicting duties.
Kakita Kaori
Kenshinzen of Golden Petal Village and overly prolific fiction writer
http://craneclan.weebly.com/
[Kakita Kyoumi/WC5]

Kakita_Harun
Taisa

Postby Kakita_Harun » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:35 pm

The day of the Test of the Emerald Champion arrived, and the entire Imperial court went down to the Imperial Legion barracks. At least, the ones who had enough influence to manage to get seats. Kousuda went to the first day, bringing back the results. Yukari had been eliminated, as had the Phoenix and Mantis candidates.
Kyoumi had wanted to go, not just to see Karasu compete but to see the tournament was not something that happened every day. Traditionally, the tournament was in summer and was held on the Plains of Thunder east of the Shinoimen Mori. But these were extraordinary circumstances, the year of Karasu’s temporary service was up and the Plains of Thunder were well behind the Onyx lines.
Finally, after a little arguing on Kyoumi’s part, Kousuda agreed she could attend the final day: the iaijutsu duels. And so, on a particularly frosty morning, they all went down to the barracks and took their seats high in the stands that had been erected overlooking the vast parade ground that had been prepared for the event.
The stands were a general who’s who of the Imperial court, with notables such as the Kakita and Ide Damiyos sitting close to the box where the Emperor and Empress would sit when they arrived. Closest of all was the Emperor’s own brother Susumu Shibatsu, Champion of the Spider Clan. He sat with his wife Susumu Neya. Everyone else standing underneath the erected awnings that ringed the courtyard. And there was someone else there, not in the stands, standing by himself wearing armour in the colours of the Lion Clan. It was the Shogun of the Empire, Akodo Kano. Like Karasu had said, he was there to make sure the Lion candidate won.
They day was cold, so they wrapped themselves up warmly and Kousuda passed around some tea. Harun seemed content to stay where he was, in the sling and warm beneath Yamada’s fur-lined jacket, his brown eyes peeping out at everything he saw.
Behind the stands, Hitomi came out of one of buildings of the barracks. She made her way up the stands to where they were sitting.
“How is he?” Kyoumi asked.
“Nervous,” said Hitomi. “But he won’t admit it.”
“He will be fine,” said Kousuda reassuringly.
Yamada nodded in agreement.
Below them, there was the sound of taiko drums signalling the beginning of formalities. The four remaining candidates came out one by one and were announced by Miya Kiyokaizu, the Imperial Herald to subdued applause.
“Yasuki Yamase, daughter of Yasuki Tono, representing the Crab Clan.”
Yamase emerged, wearing subdued deep blues, her face blank and impassive as she bowed.
“Ide Nekome, daughter of Ide Toboku, representing the Unicorn Clan.”
Nekome wore the deel and fur hat of the Ide like the day Yamada had met her. Looking more like a courtier than a bushi.
“Akodo Tetsu, son of Akodo Nobu, representing the Lion Clan.”
Tetsu came out, in browns and golds, smiling at a woman in the crowd who wore shugenja robes.
“Kakita Karasu, son of Kakita Toshiken, representing the Crane Clan.”
Karasu got the loudest applause of all which still managed to be subdued. He was dressed in a light blue jinbei and matching hakami with a black kataginu.
After this, the judges were announced, all Master Sensei from the prominent dojos of the Empire. Kakita Kenshin from the Kakita Duelling Academy, Mirumoto Hatsuto from the Iron Mountain Dojo and Akodo Kagetada from the Akodo Kensai Dojo.
“The test will proceed as follows,” continued Miya Kiyokaizu. “Ide Nekome against Yasuki Yamase, then Kakita Karasu against Akodo Tetsu. The winners will contest the championship, may the fortunes favour your blades.”
Karasu and Tetsu drew back, standing on the side lines. Someone came up to talk to Karasu.
Is that Moto Taigo? Yamada wondered, but it was impossible to tell from this distance.
The shugenja prepared the ring while Yamase and Nekome waited. Yamada and Kyoumi exchanged a silent glance, they both had a good idea how this would go. Yamada felt a little sorry for Nekome.
“Yamase and Nekome took up their stances in the duelling ring. Complete silence fell over the arena but for the faint sound of the wind. Even Harun was quiet, peeping curiously outside Yamada’s jacket. The Yamase struck, her sword slicing through the air and cutting odd one of the tassels of Nekome’s hat. A gasp went through the crowd and there was polite applause. Nekome bowed to concede and then left the arena, Yamase went to one side to wait while the duelling ring was purified again.
When Karasu entered the duelling ring, Yamada could see Kyoumi and Hitomi tense up a little. But Karasu himself looked perfectly at ease, the wide ‘wings’ of his black kataginu making him seem crow-like. After him and Tetsu bowed, it was over in a flash. Yamada barely saw Karasu move, let alone see his sword. All she saw was part of Tetsu’s sleeve fall to the ground, brown against the white snow, his sword barely out of its saya.
Tetsu bowed as the crowd applauded, a little more enthusiastic than before. Yamada quickly glanced at the Shogun, just as Kano turned and left, his face unreadable.
There was a few minutes break, some people sitting down stood to stretch their legs, Kousuda poured more tea. Then the sound of the taiko drums summoned everyone back to their seats, and as the Imperial Herald announced the arrival of the Emperor, they all bowed low. When they were permitted to rise again, Yamada took a good look at the changed composition of the Chosen. Yasuki Makoto had stepped in to the position of Imperial Chancellor after Toku Hikaru’s unexpected death. Susumu Kuroko, the daughter of Susumu himself, was now Imperial Advisor.
The duelling ring was purified again. Karasu and Yamase bowed formally to the Emperor, making solemn oaths to carry out the duel with the honours traditions of iaijutsu handed down from Kakita himself. They were then permitted to make one final display of arms before the duel would commence.
Karasu took out a silk scarf, a bright blue. He tossed it in the air and with a blur of steel it lay in eight pieces on the ground.
Yamase’s demonstration was different. Five thin steel plates were brought out by attendants and lined up in a row. She bowed, swung her sword slowly to warm up, just touching the first plate, then with a single slash of her sword cut through all five of them.
Strength against speed, though Yamada, it never changes.
They then took up stances in the duelling ring, bowing formally to each other. Between the two there was no certainty how the duel could turn out.
Then, to the astonishment of everyone, Yamase broke her stance. She stepped forward and spoke to Karasu who then broke his. They spoke for a moment, Yamase seeing to argue while Karasu kept shaking his head. There was a little confusion from the crowd about this.
The two then seemed to come to some agreement. Yamase stepped back, drew her sword and angled it out in a salute. She then bowed low, like a vassal to a superior.
A loud gasp of astonishment went through the crowd.
Kousuda stared in shock. “She…concedes?”
Kyoumi nodded quietly as if she knew this was going to happen all along.
The realisation of this took a few minutes to full hit Yamada, even when Karasu was kneeling before the Emperor and making the oath and receiving the Armour and Sword of Emerald Champion.
When this was over and the Emperor and Empress had left, many came forward to congratulate Karasu and probably ask him for favours. Yamada hung back, only pleased that not only was she there to witness this moment, but Harun was there as well.
Scribe and Adopted Crane

Kakita_Harun
Taisa

Postby Kakita_Harun » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:17 am

Court was abuzz with what happened at the tournament according to Kousuda. Kakita Karasu was not the first to win the position of Emerald Champion by his opponent conceding, this had happened fifty years previously with Shosuro Jimen, but the rather dishonourable circumstances around it had been revealed much later.
Kousuda had been inspired to paint something on this for the art exhibition that was coming up at court and he spent many evenings on it. He was home a lot more in the evenings to be with Kyoumi, his subordinates taking over a lot of his duties.
The midwife Kokoro had confessed to Yamada that she was concerned about Kyoumi’s pregnancy and felt confining her to bedrest would be perhaps safest for mother and baby. It was a bit sad to Yamada that Kyoumi accepted this with little complaint. The pregnancy was a real trial on her body, in contrast to Yamada’s which had been far less taxing. Kyoumi had also told Yamada that se=he was determined to have more children, and with Kokoro predicting a possibly difficult labour and birth…
She has courage, thought Yamada with some admiration, and she will need it.
Late one evening, Yamada came across Kousuda finishing his painting. It was of the exact moment that Yamase had conceded, painted in the traditional old Rokugani style. Yamase was depicted bowed, he sword behind her in a salute. Karasu stood across from her, his head slightly inclined to accept Yamase’s submission.
Behind them in the background, were the stands filled with the people of the court, the Emperor and Empress in the centre, solemn and splendid in their majesty. Looking through the stands, Yamada could see Arami, Kousuda, Kyoumi…and herself with Harun cradled in her arms.
“What do you think?” Kousuda asked. “It should be exhibited in the exhibition tomorrow.”
“I like it,” said Yamada. “Could I possibly have a copy?”

She brought the painting down to Karasu at the Legion barracks a few days later. After the ritual offerings and refusals, Yamada unrolled it on the table between them. Karasu looked at it for a long time.
“Yamada, you really didn’t have to do this,” said Karasu. “You have done so much already…”
“I know, but I wanted to,” she said. “Besides, its not just for you.” She looked down at Harun, he was lying on the blanket like he always did when Yamada brought him to visit. This time he was playing with some large cloth-covered beads on a string.
It was sentimental, it was silly, but it was a little way she could leave some of herself for Harun. At least, before he could be told the truth.
“There’s something I wanted to ask you, Karasu-ue,” said Yamada. “What was it that you and Yamase spoke about?”
“At the tournament?” Karasu asked. “Well…” He trailed off for a moment, remembering. “She told me she was conceding, and I told her not to.”
Yamada stared at him. “Why?”
Karasu frowned at her. “I think you know, why,” he said.
Yamada nodded, of course Karasu wanted to win it in his own right. It had been more or less handed to him a year ago, not that he didn’t deserve it. “She has her own destiny to follow,” Yamada said. “And until then…”
“It will be you?” he finished.
Yamada nodded.
Karasu sighed. “Yamada, this must be very hard for you. I’ve seen it for myself. If there is anything that I can do…”
Yamada shook her head. “You are doing it already,” she said. “We all know what we need to do, but that doesn’t make it an easier.”
Karasu nodded silently. Like Kyoumi, he had seen Yamada at her most vulnerable. Right after Nakura’s death a year ago. There was more too, his patience with training her for the duel to the death that never happened, and then when she had gone to him first proposing her plan to have him named Emerald Champion.
Could there have been something more between them than the ties of friendship and duty? Perhaps, if events had gone a little differently. It was impossible to tell; and it was pointless to speculate.
There came a knock on the door.
“I should go,” said Yamada, getting to her feet. The door opened and she turned to see who it was. She froze. “Moto Taigo-sama.” She made a low bow.
Taigo raised a bushy eyebrow. “Utaku Yamada-san,” he said, giving her a bow that was slightly lower than would have been due to her status compared to his. “I have been meaning to meet you, this battlemaiden I keep hearing about. He handed a scroll to Karasu. “The news you have been waiting for, Karasu-ue,” he said, then turned back to Yamada with an intriguing look. “Would you mind if I borrowed her a moment?”
“Of course,” said Karasu.
“But…Harun…” She looked down to see him fast asleep on the blanket.
“He should be fine here until you get back,” said Karasu. “If he wakes, I’ll tell you.”

As they walked alongside the training yard, the stories Yamada’s father Harun had told her came back. The Khan’s March on Toshi Ranbo under Taigo’s father Chagatai. Her father had been a young man there, just a gunso in the Khol, but he had told her of him.
We would have followed him to Jigoku itself, he had said to her.
And now she was here with his son Taigo, a legend in his own right. He had formed the Last Legion from nothing to start his own war on the Onyx Empire.
And we took that away from him, Yamada thought with a little guilt.
The training yard was full of people practicing with wooden weapons under the watchful eye and harsh voice of the drill instructor. They stopped for a moment, Taigo watching them with a satisfaction.
“New recruits, Moto-sama?” Yamada asked.
Taigo nodded. “Most of them came in since the tournament.” He looked across at Yamada. “And able to give themselves.”
She almost smiled. The Last Legion had been founded as a refuge that would accept anyone as a recruit, peasant or samurai. But this had had to end when it became the Imperial Legion, and it had been a rather heated meeting in Yamada’s yurt when that had been decided.
“Hikahime told you, did she Moto-sama?” Yamada asked.
“Hikahime told me a lot of things, Utaku-san,” said Taigo. “How you saved her life, even going before the Emperor himself. How you convinced the Lion Clan to support the Legion.” He looked at her again. “For someone who is not a courtier, you certainly made a name for yourself in the courts.” He gave a slight nod, a sign of respect.
“Thank you, Moto-sama,” she said, feeling herself blush under his praise. “But I would not have done that without the help I had, particularly Doji Arami.”
“Of course,” said Taigo. “But you are the one whose name I keep hearing.”
The continued to walk, and Yamada knew she had to say something about the guilt that plagued her.
“Moto-sama I…wanted to apologise to you,” she said. “What was done, the deals we made to make the Legion legitimate…I have felt badly about it ever since and wished it could have been different.”
Taigo stopped, stared straight through her as if he could read her thoughts. “Is that regret in your voice, Utaki-san?”
Yamada flinched a little, she felt like she was a child again and her father had called her into the carpet for something she had done. “I…hope not, Moto-sama,” she said. “But what was necessary to get the Legion recognised, we had to support Shogun Akodo Kano-sama over yourself, who had founded the Legion…”
Taigo shook his head. “That matters little now, Utaku-san,” he said. “Look at where we are, look at what has happened. The Legion started as it did because that was what it needed to be…now that it has been officially recognised it will need to be something else. And as for Kano…” He frowned and shook his head again. “That was bound to be a problem no matter how you set up that shogi board. Spare yourself any grief on my part, Utaku-san, I am pleased that it was done at all.”
But there was one last thing on her conscience. “And Akodo Dairoku-sama?” Yamada asked. “I...I know it seems as if I used her to get the Lion back to the negotiating table, but my support for her as Shogun was genuine.”
“Cast that out too,” Taigo said. “And Dairoku, she lives still, and free of the taint still. Rest your mind on her, she does her duty for her clan and the Legion as a Deathseeker.”
They walked along in silence for a few more minutes.
“Getting the Lion to move, that sounds like a battle in itself,” said Taigo. “Chinua said there was a story behind that, but he didn’t have time to tell me when I saw him. Could you tell it?”
“Of course, Moto-sama,” said Yamada. She told him the whole story, right from her handshake with Akodo Kibo, to the disagreements on the dais among the Chosen. Taigo listened eagerly, laughing at intervals.
“It’s better than I thought,” said Taigo with a grin.
They had come to the other side of the courtyard, to the exterior wall of the barracks where the snow was rutted under the archways from all the comings and goings.
“There’s another reason I wanted to speak with you, Utaku-san,” Taigo said. “I would have sent for you had I not seen you there. You have talent and experience; such things should be encouraged.”
“Thank you, Moto-sama,” said Yamada.
“I want to offer you the chance to be the Legion’s voice in the Imperial Court,” said Taigo.
“But...surely there is someone better trained than me,” said Yamada.
“Better than someone who can stand up before the entire court the day after her husband was killed in front of her?” Taigo challenged. “No, I think you best, Utaku-san. The Legion will need a clear honest voice in the months to come, and you have more than proved yourself.”
Just like with Ide Toboku, Yamada was presented with an irresistible chance to serve her clan. This time to stay in Otosan Uchi, have Harun close to her and Kyoumi and Yukari close by. But she had given Michio her word…
“Moto-sama, you honour me with this,” she said. “But I am afraid I cannot accept, I have been offered the command of the Fourth Utaku Battlemaiden Legion.”
“Well, I can’t compete with that,” said Taigo with a sigh. “Your own command, I can understand the allure.”
His face was unreadable as they walked back. But all Yamada could think of was that she lied to him. She had lied to Chagatai’s son. She had lied to one of her heroes.
Scribe and Adopted Crane

Kakita_Harun
Taisa

Postby Kakita_Harun » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:08 pm

Little update to show a little something happening...
[hr]
It was New Year’s Eve and the households of Otosan Uchi were alive with the flurry of cleaning. Kyoumi’s house was more exception, Sumiko and Izumi busy most of the day. Wanting to get out of their way, Yamada sat with Kyoumi. Usually Kyoumi would read of dictate letters, but today she did none of these things and, instead making light conversation. But Yamada knew there was something was wrong, and she was trying to distract herself.
“Kyoumi,” said Yamada carefully. “There’s something wrong, isn’t there? Please, tell me.”
Kyoumi shook her head. “It’s nothing, Yamada,” she said, trying to brighten her voice. “I’m just tired…”
“No,” said Yamada seriously. “There’s something wrong, isn’t there? It’s too early for anything to be happening.”
Kyoumi didn’t answer, but for a moment she let her on slip and Yamada could see how much pain she was in.
Great Fortunes help us…
“Izumi!” Yamada shouted. “Run and fetch the midwife!”
Izumi poked her head around the door. “Is it time, Utaku-sama?”
“Just go,” said Yamada.

The last day of the Imperial Winter Court was always a busy one, the clan delegations making their reports as well as trying to get in any last minute petitions. Kakita Kousuda was watching the Spider delegation make their report, trying to keep his attention focused but it was difficult.
A servant came in, going straight to Kousuda. The servant bowed low and whispered in Kousuda’s ear. Kousuda’s face went white, the fears he had been nursing were now realised.
He quickly excused himself, making the appropriate bows to the dais but once out of the throne room he abandoned all appearance of propriety and ran out of the palace. He was running so fast he barely noticed the emerald green gauntlet that intercepted him.
“Ide!”
Kousuda looked up to see Karasu, resplendent in his emerald green and gold armour. But in Karasu’s eyes he saw a mirror of the same fear that filled his own heart. Karasu put a hand on his shoulder.
“Be loud,” he said. “She needs to know you are there for her.”
Kousuda nodded. Karasu let him past and Kousuda took off at run.
Scribe and Adopted Crane

Kakita_Harun
Taisa

Postby Kakita_Harun » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:36 pm

Kokoro had come promptly, but Izumi’s search for a shugenja fruitless as all seemed to be attending to the rituals of the New Year. So Yamada told the girl to sit in front of the gate and wait until she saw a shugenja walk past.
Once in the birthing room, Kokoro took charge. She bade her apprentice Nibui to make a calming tea and then had Yamada sit by Kyoumi and rub her back. The midwife was all calmness and reassurance with Kyoumi, but was also worried. Yamada noticed how serious Kokoro was, with none of the usual jokes. After examining Kyoumi, she and her apprentice had a quick consultation in the corner.
Kyoumi showed great strength in keeping her composure though she was clearly in a lot of pain.
“Kyoumi, you don’t have to keep quiet if you don’t want to,” said Yamada. “It’s not weakness, I won’t judge you.”
Kyoumi shook her head, and when the pain ended she explained it all to Yamada. “I need to keep quiet, my…my cries could summon the spirits of those babies who died at birth…they would take mine away from me.”
Yamada had never thought the Crane particularly superstitious, but she also knew now was not the time to question anything.
Kokoro came over, her voice all gentleness. “My dear, it does look as if baby is on the way, but we need to help baby a little.” She smiled reassuringly at Kyoumi. “We will need to turn baby around.”
A flicker of worry crossed Kyoumi’s face. “Turn?”
Kokoro nodded. “Once baby is at the door, hopefully things will go smoother. Are you ready?”
Kyoumi nodded mutely.
Kokoro then helped Kyoumi onto her back and then directed Yamada to sit beside Kyoumi’s head and hold her hands firm. The midwife then took out a wooden rod out of her bag, wrapped a cloth around it then offered it to Kyoumi to bite down.
“No,” said Kyoumi softly. “I won’t need it.”
Kokoro looked as if she might argue, but decided not to.
Throughout it, Yamada watched Kyoumi’s face, her eyes focused on the Crane girl’s. Yamada could see the strain there, the strength she showed in trying to cry out. But it proved to much, Kyoumi made a low moan, like a wounded animal.
Something else was happening, there seemed to be a little wind in the room as if someone had opened a window. Nibui, who was assisting Kokoro, looked around worriedly.
And then they heard shouts, screaming from the next room. The sound of a man trying to shout as loud as he could. Kyoumi stopped moaning, the ghost of a smile on her face.
“He’s here,” she said.
Yamada nodded. That was clearly Kousuda, his shouts to try and divert the attention of the souls of the deceased children Kyoumi had been wary of.
“Just a little longer, my dear,” said Kokoro, her voice a little strained.
Knowing Kousuda was there gave Kyoumi the strength she needed. When the baby turned inside her, all she made was a soft cry.
“Well done, my dear!” said Kokoro, smiling at Kyoumi. “Baby is at the door, and soon we may…oh yes, the little one is starting to show themselves…”
But Kyoumi had passed out from the pain. She didn’t hear Kokoro, or notice the water that was leaking from her womb. Yamada sponged Kyoumi’s face with a wet cloth until she opened her eyes. Then she and Kokoro helped Kyoumi onto her knees.
“I did this for you,” said Kyoumi, her voice barely a whisper, her smile faint.
“You did,” replied Yamada. “And now I will be with you, Kyoumi, when you become a mother.”

By Kyoumi’s baby took its time being born. Noon turned to afternoon, to evening. Kyoumi finding her ordeal so exhausting that they laid her on her back again to try and get her to rest. And throughout all that day she was so quiet, barely making a sound.
Harun had to be brought in a few times so Yamada could feed him, and several times she had to leave the birthing room so she could tend to her son’s needs. It was during one of these times in the early evening that Arami returned. His on was perfect, his greeting conventional. But Yamada see the concern in his eyes. Yamada knew what he wanted to hear and how much she needed to say.
“She is doing well, and she’s very brave,” Yamada told Arami. “But there are…difficulties.”
Arami’s perfect on faltered a little. Yamada smiled at him reassuringly.
“She had courage, Arami,” Yamada said. “Have faith in her, I do.”
Scribe and Adopted Crane

Return to “Fiction”