[S:CW] Doji Hoturi, Seven Thunder • Experienced 2CW

Kakita Shiro
Daimyo

Re: [S:CW] Doji Hoturi, Seven Thunder • Experienced 2CW

Postby Kakita Shiro » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:23 pm

Togashi Hotaru wrote:Wonderful :-). How do people feel about how Crane dueling is shaping up so far this arc?

Hoturi's only downside is his massive cost, which I'm not sold on.
Bushi. Artisan. Duelist. Magistrate. Hatamoto.

CCG Trades

Doji Tatsuo
Hohei

Postby Doji Tatsuo » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:30 pm

Togashi Hotaru wrote:Wonderful :-). How do people feel about how Crane dueling is shaping up so far this arc? Hoturi, Makoto, and the brothers (safe to assume Daitsu will be getting an exp version?) just to get things rolling. They have strong battle actions between them all to boot!

Having just got back into L5R after over 10 years, I was pretty bummed that Hoturi, Toshimoko, and Uji were no more. I played the game because of the story, and because of those three. I still need to catch up on what's been going on since that time (such as what happened to Hoturi?), but having looked over the previous expansions that I missed, it seems like we were lacking a presence of prominent figures. Having Hoturi back, I couldn't be more excited. He will go in every single one of my decks, regardless of his 15GC, for the simple fact that he's Hoturi.

I'm not counting Makoto personally since he won't be legal in Onyx, but it appears that Crane dueling will be nothing to scoff at. I know scouts have been the primary military choice for Crane, but has anyone been consistently successful in dueling military?

Daidoji Tacticus
Daimyo

Postby Daidoji Tacticus » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:33 pm

A question for those familiar with the Clan Wars-era stories: was Hoturi particularly known for using a naginata? I find its presence in his art to be interesting, and unexpected, given that I primarily thought of him as a iaijutsu master (which is to say, katana-wielder).
Ceterum autem censeo Otomines esse delendam.

Player of Asahina Umeko at Winter Court IV

Kakita Shiro
Daimyo

Postby Kakita Shiro » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:36 pm

Doji Tatsuo wrote:
Togashi Hotaru wrote:Wonderful :-). How do people feel about how Crane dueling is shaping up so far this arc? Hoturi, Makoto, and the brothers (safe to assume Daitsu will be getting an exp version?) just to get things rolling. They have strong battle actions between them all to boot!

Having just got back into L5R after over 10 years, I was pretty bummed that Hoturi, Toshimoko, and Uji were no more. I played the game because of the story, and because of those three. I still need to catch up on what's been going on since that time (such as what happened to Hoturi?), but having looked over the previous expansions that I missed, it seems like we were lacking a presence of prominent figures. Having Hoturi back, I couldn't be more excited. He will go in every single one of my decks, regardless of his 15GC, for the simple fact that he's Hoturi.

I'm not counting Makoto personally since he won't be legal in Onyx, but it appears that Crane dueling will be nothing to scoff at. I know scouts have been the primary military choice for Crane, but has anyone been consistently successful in dueling military?

There have been a couple floating around, most recently Daidoji Maseru's 2nd place deck at Sioux City, NE found here.
Bushi. Artisan. Duelist. Magistrate. Hatamoto.

CCG Trades

Tokuan
Nikutai

Postby Tokuan » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:13 pm

Daidoji Tacticus wrote:A question for those familiar with the Clan Wars-era stories: was Hoturi particularly known for using a naginata? I find its presence in his art to be interesting, and unexpected, given that I primarily thought of him as a iaijutsu master (which is to say, katana-wielder).

He was almost always depicted with a spear with a similar blade in previous art (varies between looking like a naginata/yari).

It's a very consistent part of his art - quick search on the oracle confirms this. :)

However, his RPG stats generally focused on his iaijutsu abilities instead, matching his CCG cards, so your thoughts of him as an iaijutsu master are correct.

Hope this helps!
I was Kakita Haturo, Iaijutsu Tournament champion at Winter Court IV

Daidoji Tacticus
Daimyo

Postby Daidoji Tacticus » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:59 pm

Huh. Interesting. Reviewing the art for his various cards, you are quite correct - in fact, he doesn't seem to have ever been depicted with a katana in hand.

It makes sense - the katana was historically a sidearm (and symbol) for samurai, not a primary battle weapon. And reach is a very nice thing to have in melee. It's just an odd juxtaposition with all of his abilities relating to iaijutsu duelling.

(Also from the department of oddities - why is a naginata the best weapon to bring to an iai duel in the CCG? You can't use them for iai!)

Doji Honshingen
Chui

Postby Doji Honshingen » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:33 pm

Doji Tatsuo wrote:I'm not counting Makoto personally since he won't be legal in Onyx, but it appears that Crane dueling will be nothing to scoff at.

I for one hope that we will get another version of Makoto in Onyx, it would be a shame if you wouldn't have the current clan champion as a legal card.
Soul of Doji Honshi

Kakita Ijiwaru
Taisa

Postby Kakita Ijiwaru » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:42 pm

Doji Honshingen wrote:
Doji Tatsuo wrote:I'm not counting Makoto personally since he won't be legal in Onyx, but it appears that Crane dueling will be nothing to scoff at.

I for one hope that we will get another version of Makoto in Onyx, it would be a shame if you wouldn't have the current clan champion as a legal card.

Agreed. I think that is a reasonable expectation and likely will happen.

Kakita Ijiwaru
Taisa

Postby Kakita Ijiwaru » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:43 pm

Also, I am loving the Jason Engle art.

Daidoji Tacticus
Daimyo

Postby Daidoji Tacticus » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:05 am

Kakita Ijiwaru wrote:
Doji Honshingen wrote:

Agreed. I think that is a reasonable expectation and likely will happen.

If there is no legal Makoto in Onyx Edition, I will eat my hat.

*checks for hats*

...let me rephrase. I will obtain a hat, and then eat it.

Return to “Siege: Clan War”