The Perfect Gift (Crane Event)

The Greatest Great Clan
Daidoji Fitsu
Nikutai
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:46 pm

Re: The Perfect Gift (Crane Event)

Postby Daidoji Fitsu » Fri May 19, 2017 6:19 am

This discussion reminds me of when Courtesy of the Crane was previewed. While not identical in mechanic the premise is similar. Giving your opponent the worst of four cards while you claim the best of four is good.

Sometimes you'll lose on that deal, but there will absolutely be times when you see a card in your opponent's pool that he can't afford or can't play in the current phase.

I'll be running 3x at Gencon and I'll let you know how it goes.

Dare
Daimyo
Posts: 340
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:54 am

Re: The Perfect Gift (Crane Event)

Postby Dare » Fri May 19, 2017 6:28 am

MirumotoDaisuke wrote: Bear and the Maiden Fair is better for filtering though.

Bear and Maiden Fair is exact same card disadvantage while not giving you an immediate card (which may be an immediate answer to what you need).



As for the card disadvantage arguments. I presented the exact same arguments when the Thrones version came out. After a month or 2 however, I was forced to accept I was wrong. It's not "omg great", but it's a good card.

The -1 card counts if you don't know what they're getting. But you get to pick an immediate answer for yourself NOW to a situation, or whatever your strongest card is, and give them one that's not useful immediately, or just unlikely to be needed.

The loss of 1 card advantage is very often indeed worth that in Thrones. Whether it's worthwhile in L5R remains to be seen. But I wouldn't advise discounting it purely because of that.

User avatar
Kakita Karasu
Gunso
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:14 am

Re: The Perfect Gift (Crane Event)

Postby Kakita Karasu » Fri May 19, 2017 8:12 am

If I'm reading the card right then you can choose the opponents card. So you can give yourself a good gift while making sure the opponent gets bunk.
Emerald Champion WC 2017DuelistPistoleer • Crane Clan • Samurai • Soul of Shiba Mako WC 4
Raised Eyebrow of Derision
Winter Court 5 Iaijutsu Champion

User avatar
Kakita Shiro
Daimyo
Posts: 1442
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:22 am
Contact:

Re: The Perfect Gift (Crane Event)

Postby Kakita Shiro » Fri May 19, 2017 8:25 am

Kakita Karasu wrote:If I'm reading the card right then you can choose the opponents card. So you can give yourself a good gift while making sure the opponent gets bunk.

It's never really bunk since your opponent can always deploy it against you later. At least you know it's coming, though.
Bushi. Artisan. Duelist. Magistrate.

CCG Trades

User avatar
Kakita Onimaru
Site Admin
Posts: 535
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:48 pm

Re: The Perfect Gift (Crane Event)

Postby Kakita Onimaru » Fri May 19, 2017 9:51 am

The more I think about this card the more I like it.
1. It replaces itself so I'm basically running a 37 card deck (even better since I get to choose the best of 4 cards.

2. I get to see my opponents deck a bit and can put the worst of their cards into their hand.
If you're having Crane problems I feel bad for you son,
I've got 99 problems but a duel ain't one!

Mirith
Nikutai
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:49 pm

Re: The Perfect Gift (Crane Event)

Postby Mirith » Sat May 20, 2017 7:31 pm

Not saying its bad, and I can see Onimaru's argument. But My main issue with the argument of best vs worst card is, shouldn't your opponents deck not be full of bad cards? I can see situations where its great (Last battle, your opponent has 1 fate, and you give them a card that costs 2), but I feel like it is more likely going to be "I need a better card, and I get to choose this slightly not as optimal card for my opponent." I don't think that you can make the argument of 'good card denial" since, before that moment, neither of you knew what was on top of their deck, and after you shuffle, you still don't know. There is a chance that the same cards will be on top in the same order. Bear and the Maiden Fair doesn't shuffle, and isn't a valid comparison. I would actually much prefer a card like that.

It will get better if there is some form of top card sorting that needs some meta (Or some form of "Name a card in your opponents hand" mechanic), and most likely I will play it initially, but I will probably swap it out first when anything better comes along.

User avatar
Enlightened Courtier
Nikutai
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:43 am

Re: The Perfect Gift (Crane Event)

Postby Enlightened Courtier » Mon May 22, 2017 11:05 pm

Daidoji Fitsu wrote:This discussion reminds me of when Courtesy of the Crane was previewed.


I loved courtesy of the crane, and will surely love this card! Getting to see the top 4 cards of your (and your opponent's) deck is worth it.

User avatar
Kakita Onimaru
Site Admin
Posts: 535
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:48 pm

Re: The Perfect Gift (Crane Event)

Postby Kakita Onimaru » Tue May 23, 2017 5:27 am

Enlightened Courtier wrote:
Daidoji Fitsu wrote:This discussion reminds me of when Courtesy of the Crane was previewed.


I loved courtesy of the crane, and will surely love this card! Getting to see the top 4 cards of your (and your opponent's) deck is worth it.


Do remember that you have to shuffle decks after looking at cards.
If you're having Crane problems I feel bad for you son,
I've got 99 problems but a duel ain't one!


Return to “Crane Clan”