The Greatest Great Clan
Kakita Shiro
Daimyo

The Perfect Gift (Crane Event)

Postby Kakita Shiro » Thu May 18, 2017 7:34 am

The Perfect Gift
0 Fate
1 Influence

Action: Reveal the top 4 cards of both players conflict deck. Choose 1 revealed card by each player and add it to it's owner's hand. Shuffle.

He had refused twice, but could not bring himself to refuse a third time.
Bushi. Artisan. Duelist. Magistrate. Hatamoto.

CCG Trades

MirumotoDaisuke
Shireikan

Re: The Perfect Gift (Crane Event)

Postby MirumotoDaisuke » Thu May 18, 2017 7:56 am

Ugh, it's not because he didn't want the gift, the Two Refusals is a rule of etiquette.

I mean, unless we're doing away with that too.
Dragon Clan • Artisan • Friend to the Crane • Samurai • Conqueror • Duelist • Kensai

Drudenfusz
Nikutai

Postby Drudenfusz » Thu May 18, 2017 8:05 am

Card draw for everyone? Card draw for everyone!
Artisan. Courtier. Duelist.
The wiki to the L5R LCG!

MirumotoDaisuke
Shireikan

Postby MirumotoDaisuke » Thu May 18, 2017 8:12 am

As far as the card goes, it's fine, but it's going to get cycled out of decks within a year. This card isn't played in AGoT2 (in the guise of A Gift of Arbor Red).
Dragon Clan • Artisan • Friend to the Crane • Samurai • Conqueror • Duelist • Kensai

Dare
Daimyo

Postby Dare » Thu May 18, 2017 1:45 pm

MirumotoDaisuke wrote:As far as the card goes, it's fine, but it's going to get cycled out of decks within a year. This card isn't played in AGoT2 (in the guise of A Gift of Arbor Red).

It most certainly IS played in plenty of top placing decks in Thrones at least as recently as Batalla, where minimum 2 of the top 8 decks were running 3x it.

Daidoji Tacticus
Daimyo

Postby Daidoji Tacticus » Thu May 18, 2017 3:41 pm

MirumotoDaisuke wrote:Ugh, it's not because he didn't want the gift, the Two Refusals is a rule of etiquette.

I mean, unless we're doing away with that too.

But part of that rule is that you have to be sincere about it, which means maintaining the fiction that you really don't want to accept the gift the first two times (or that you do want to but feel you must refuse because <reasons>), but that on the third offer the giver's sincerity sways you and you accept. If you appear to be doing it just because the rule says you should, you're doing it wrong.

As for the event itself... well, it's actually card disadvantage (you are spending a card to get a card, while your opponent gains a card) in exchange for card selection. With four opposing cards to choose from, I would hope that there'd generally be something reasonably harmless to give them, but I think there will definitely end up being cases where you play the card and really wish you hadn't. Still, an equivalent card seeing high-level play in AGOT seems like a good sign.
Ceterum autem censeo Otomines esse delendam.

Player of Asahina Umeko at Winter Court IV

MirumotoDaisuke
Shireikan

Postby MirumotoDaisuke » Thu May 18, 2017 10:04 pm

Dare wrote:
MirumotoDaisuke wrote:As far as the card goes, it's fine, but it's going to get cycled out of decks within a year. This card isn't played in AGoT2 (in the guise of A Gift of Arbor Red).

It most certainly IS played in plenty of top placing decks in Thrones at least as recently as Batalla, where minimum 2 of the top 8 decks were running 3x it.

I don't see those decks on ThronesDB, so I can't comment on that. Certainly not being played in the States very often except in the most hardcore of stall decks that are looking for specific cards. Bear and the Maiden Fair is better for filtering though.

Drudenfusz
Nikutai

Postby Drudenfusz » Thu May 18, 2017 10:09 pm

Well, I can imagine to play that card for some time, since it is basically card draw that lets me cycle through my deck. Which could be useful for honour running, since I can keep betting low for cards, and it could also be useful for duel decks to get my duel cards.
Artisan. Courtier. Duelist.
The wiki to the L5R LCG!

MirumotoDaisuke
Shireikan

Postby MirumotoDaisuke » Thu May 18, 2017 10:27 pm

Drudenfusz wrote:

Well, I can imagine to play that card for some time, since it is basically card draw that lets me cycle through my deck. Which could be useful for honour running, since I can keep betting low for cards, and it could also be useful for duel decks to get my duel cards.

If it was just card cycle, it would be fine - but it also gives your opponent a card, which may or may not be useful. So you're basically gambling that your cards are better than his cards, which at this juncture is not a bet I would take.

Kakita Michito
Nikutai

Postby Kakita Michito » Fri May 19, 2017 3:29 am

I don't think it will see much play unless cards enter the meta that care about handsize. At the moment it just replaces a card while giving one to your opponent.

If it had the trait Gift their might be some combo potential down the line but it doesn't so pretty meh overal.

Return to “Crane Clan”