The Perfect Gift (Crane Event)

The Greatest Great Clan
Daidoji Fitsu
Nikutai
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: The Perfect Gift (Crane Event)

Postby Daidoji Fitsu » Fri May 19, 2017 6:19 am

This discussion reminds me of when Courtesy of the Crane was previewed. While not identical in mechanic the premise is similar. Giving your opponent the worst of four cards while you claim the best of four is good.

Sometimes you'll lose on that deal, but there will absolutely be times when you see a card in your opponent's pool that he can't afford or can't play in the current phase.

I'll be running 3x at Gencon and I'll let you know how it goes.

Dare
Daimyo
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Dare » Fri May 19, 2017 6:28 am

Kakita Karasu
Gunso

Postby Kakita Karasu » Fri May 19, 2017 8:12 am

If I'm reading the card right then you can choose the opponents card. So you can give yourself a good gift while making sure the opponent gets bunk.
Emerald Champion WC 2017DuelistPistoleer • Crane Clan • Samurai • Soul of Shiba Mako WC 4
Raised Eyebrow of Derision
Winter Court 5 Iaijutsu Champion

Kakita Shiro
Daimyo

Postby Kakita Shiro » Fri May 19, 2017 8:25 am

Bushi. Artisan. Duelist. Magistrate. Hatamoto.

Kakita Onimaru
Site Admin

Postby Kakita Onimaru » Fri May 19, 2017 9:51 am

The more I think about this card the more I like it.
1. It replaces itself so I'm basically running a 37 card deck (even better since I get to choose the best of 4 cards.

2. I get to see my opponents deck a bit and can put the worst of their cards into their hand.
If you're having Crane problems I feel bad for you son,
I've got 99 problems but a duel ain't one!

Mirith
Nikutai

Postby Mirith » Sat May 20, 2017 7:31 pm

Not saying its bad, and I can see Onimaru's argument. But My main issue with the argument of best vs worst card is, shouldn't your opponents deck not be full of bad cards? I can see situations where its great (Last battle, your opponent has 1 fate, and you give them a card that costs 2), but I feel like it is more likely going to be "I need a better card, and I get to choose this slightly not as optimal card for my opponent." I don't think that you can make the argument of 'good card denial" since, before that moment, neither of you knew what was on top of their deck, and after you shuffle, you still don't know. There is a chance that the same cards will be on top in the same order. Bear and the Maiden Fair doesn't shuffle, and isn't a valid comparison. I would actually much prefer a card like that.

It will get better if there is some form of top card sorting that needs some meta (Or some form of "Name a card in your opponents hand" mechanic), and most likely I will play it initially, but I will probably swap it out first when anything better comes along.

Enlightened Courtier
Nikutai

Postby Enlightened Courtier » Mon May 22, 2017 11:05 pm

Kakita Onimaru
Site Admin

Postby Kakita Onimaru » Tue May 23, 2017 5:27 am

If you're having Crane problems I feel bad for you son,
I've got 99 problems but a duel ain't one!

Chuterêve
Nikutai

Postby Chuterêve » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:30 pm

(Post Children of the Empire opinion)

I was one of the few player to take the defense of Perfect Gift as a 1x in the core set meta but that was before players knew how to deckbuild optimally and with a limited card pool. The most notable resurgence of Perfect Gift since then was its use by Osan in a cycle 1 meta tournament. I just think the card disadvantage is too crippling unless we start finding a good combo deck that just want to cycle through the deck as quickly as possible.

Masashigi
Chui

Postby Masashigi » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:12 pm

The Perfect Gift hit its peak right after the 1st cycle and has been downhill since. Its not coming back, it just doesn't do anything to advance you winning the game, also turns out giving your opponent a card is bad, and giving them hand knowledge of yours is worse.

Return to “Crane Clan”