School Days - A Winter Court 5 Sequel Fic

For discussions on official fictions and fan-fictions alike.
Kakita_Harun
Taisa
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

School Days - A Winter Court 5 Sequel Fic

Postby Kakita_Harun » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:10 pm

School Days – Part 1

Shiro sano Kakita – Spring 1226

The castle was big, bigger than the one he had grown up in. But he knew that place, explored and ran though the hallways with his brothers, sisters and cousins. This place was full of people he didn’t know.
And they’re all looking at me, thought Kakita Harun mournfully. He stuffed his hands inside his sleeves, darker than most. He kept his head down, hoping no one noticed his dark skin or curly hair.
Unfortunately, it was even harder to stay invisible if your father was the Emerald Champion.
Kakita Karasu wasn’t wearing the famed armour, but his emerald green kimono with the laurel and chrysanthemum mons were enough to mark his status as the Emperor’s Champion.
People bowed as they passed, Karasu acknowledged them with a nod. He was used to it after eight years since his appointment, seven since the tournament. But he wasn’t acting in that capacity today. Today, he was a father seeing his son off to the Kakita Duelling Academy where he himself had began his education.
They came into a wide courtyard. The same, Karasu knew, where the junior students did their training. Through the crowd he could see Kakita Kousuda and his eldest daughter Arahime. As Karasu approached, Kousuda made the appropriate bows and motioned for his daughter to do the same. The formalities over, the two greeted each other as kin and friends.
“Still got the beard, I see,” Kousuda said, absently stroking his own. “Kyoumi says I’m a bad influence.”
Karasu smiled quietly. His own beard wasn’t nearly as thick as Kousuda’s, but it did make him look older and more mature. Adding to this were the grey hairs starting to appear among the black in his temples and above his ears.
Kousuda had settled into being a Crane quite well, even though he was still known by many, especially Karasu, as “the Ide”.
“Kyoumi sends her apologies,” said Kousuda. “She wanted to be here, but with the Voice and the new baby, it was best that she stayed. She is well, and asked me to tell you she is still waiting for that visit.”
“I’ll manage it, somehow,” Karasu promised, running over in his mind the many things he needed to see to that never decreased. “I’m heading south after this for a few weeks. You may just get me turning up on your doorstep one day.”
“Sometimes that’s the best way, ne?” said Kousuda with a grin.
Harun and Arahime talked quietly. They knew each other well, and couldn’t be more different. Harun so dark and so quiet. Arahime with her white hair in braids, and an air of mischief behind her grey eyes.
Harun was conscious of the curious stares directed at him. “They’re still looking at me,” he said. “I don’t like it.”
“Let them,” said Arahime warmly. “You can always show them up later.”
“Easy for you to say,” said Harun. “You look like you belong here, I don’t.”
“You’re a Kakita, your father is the Emerald Champion,” said Arahime. “Where else would you belong.” She leaned closer and whispered. “And they can deal with me, I always beat you at our sparring games.”
Harun smiled, it was something.
There was a flurry of noise through the crowd. The academy sensei had arrived and motioned for the courtyard to be cleared so the testing could begin.
Karasu bent down towards his son and gently touched his shoulder. “Just do your best and let the Fortunes guide you,” he said encouragingly, joining Kousuda at the edge of the courtyard to watch the testing.

The children were all about seven or eight years of age, fresh faced showing a little of the pressure of their families. Admittance to the Kakita Duelling Academy was a great honour, and hotly contested.
They were lined up in rows, about a hundred in total, and less than a third would win admission. One of the junior sensei began to lead them through some basic exercises while others walked around, observing the students.
Harun kept up with the exercises, they were familiar to him due to his father and some of his trainer’s instruction. He was conscious that every so often children were being drawn aside by the sensei and left the courtyard with their parents. Some were in tears.
The Master Sensei of the Academy, Kakita Kenshin, noticed Harun in the crowd. It was hard not to, a dark face in a sea of paler ones. He knew of the brood of war orphans that the Emerald Champion and his wife had adopted, but there was clearly something more there. Harun’s features suggested a gaijin origin, perhaps Unicorn or even Zogeki. But for wall that, in the easy way he moved and behaved her was the beginnings of the model of a Crane.
Perhaps even more than his father, Kenshin thought reflectively, remembering Karasu’s own school days.
When the children numbered around fifty, the exercises stopped and each child was called individually inside the dojo building to talk to one of the sensei. Harun waited quietly, his expression neutral as he sized the other children up. And they sized up him.
Arahime was already making friends. A tall, boisterous boy named Hayate introduced himself to her, proudly proclaiming that his father was a kenshinzen and he would be one day as well.
Arahime was called before him, then it was Harun’s turn. He was met by the Master Sensei himself. Harun bowed low, his forehead touching the tatami mat.
The first questions were standard. About bushido, what he knew of Kakita’s The Sword and Shinsei’s Tao. Basic things that most Rokugani children knew. But what was really tested was how he answered, how he framed his words. Harun gave good answers, but short ones. All with the slightest hesitation in them, as if slightly ashamed of knowing things. And his eyes were cast down.
Finally, Kenshin asked him another question. “Why is it you wish to study at the Kakita Academy?”
Automatically, Harun answered. “To bring honour to my family, sensei.”
“Yes, yes,” Kenshin said distractedly, waving away the standard answer. “I would expect that of any student, but I am asking this of you.”
Harun dared look up. Examining Kenshin’s careworn face, his white hair, his piercing blue eyes. He did not look unkind.
“I wish to find my place, sensei,” said Harun, his gravity showing maturity beyond his eight years. “I want to know what it is I am supposed to do. What destiny has been set for me to fulfil. I want to serve, like my father does, and I want to know how.”
“So young, and already so serious,” remarked Kenshin quietly, to Harun he said. “May you fund that path, Harun-san, with the teachings and traditions of Kakita. But it may not be all that you seek.”

When the questioning was over, about thirty in total would remain. Then there were goodbyes to be said and barracks to be assigned.
Karasu and Kousuda gathered with their children for their farewells. In a way, Karasu mused, it was almost a repetition of his own academy days with Kyoumi. He hoped it would go better, but given Arahime shared her mother’s delight in mischief, he wasn’t so sure.
Harun took the parting quietly, as he did most things. Not for the first time, Karasu wondered how such a calm, quiet boy had come from Yamada and Nakura.
I wonder where she is now, thought Karasu, if she was dead, we would have heard. One day I will tell him, when he is old enough to know.

The futon closest to the barracks door was Harun’s, only because it was the only one not claimed. When he came in for the night, no met his eyes or even looked his way.
He pulled back the coverlet and saw a piece of paper hidden there. A single character written on it Gaijin.
He looked around again, anyone who was looking at him now looked away. He tore the paper into small pieces. If this was how it was going to be, he would have to face it.
Last edited by Kakita_Harun on Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scribe and Adopted Crane

Kakita_Harun
Taisa
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: School Days - A Winter Court 5 Sequel Fic

Postby Kakita_Harun » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:13 am

School Days – Part 2

Shiro sano Kakita – Autumn 1226

The chill was in the air in the early evening when Kakita Harun practiced his katas. He found a quiet corner of the castle weeks ago to practice them undisturbed. And he did this in the short time they had for recreation before retiring for the evening.
Not that he wanted to do much recreation, few of the Kakita Academy students would talk to him. Except Arahime, and he didn’t like how it made the other children treat her sometimes. She said she didn’t care.
The notes hadn’t stopped, it seemed every other day that he found them. Gaijin, dirty, tainted… He destroyed them as soon as he found them. He didn’t want them to know how much they bothered him. Or bother the sensei with something so small.
There were the pranks too. His calligraphy work, someone spilling ink on it when he back was turned and he was chastised for his carelessness. He was repeatedly in trouble for leaving his sleeping area untidy, something he attended to with the utmost care. Last time they had beaten him for his “slovenly habits”.
And then there was the morning he turned up for practice because someone had taken all his socks and thrown them in one of the garden ponds. He had turned up with dirty socks and a lecture on tardiness by Kakita Daichi-sensei.
“You need to tell someone about it,” Arahime had told him.
“I don’t want to bother the sensei with something so silly,” said Harun. He was uncharacteristically angry. “And they can’t know how much they’re getting to me.”
“They’re jealous of you!” Arahime said. “They see how the sensei keep singling you out. How Kakita Kenshin-sensei talks to you!”
And she was right. This explained why it intensified. He still didn’t want to tell anyone though. That was how they beat him.

“The seven tenets of Bushido, recite them,” said Doji Yuriko, pacing the courtyard where the students were assembled, her walking cane tapping the rhythm of her gait.
“Jin, Yu, Rei, Chugo, Gi, Meyo, Makoto,” recited the class.
“And who can tell me,” said Yuriko, continuing to pace, “which of these virtues are most important to a samurai?”
Kakita Hayate raised his hand, and when given a nod of approval he stood and bowed. He had the slightest, smuggest, smile on his face. Pleased he could show off to the class. Harun remembered that on the first day, and every other day after that, he had told everyone his father was a Kenshinzen and one day he would be one too.
“Meyo, sensei,” said Hayate. “Honour. For if a samurai acts with honour, then his every action is righteous.”
“No,” said Yuriko, a tad harshly. Stopping in her pacing. “With that view, any action could be justified. Including actions that bring disgrace.”
Hayate sat down, a frown replacing the smugness on his face.
Harun raised his hand, and stood and bowed when indicated. “Chugo, sensei,” he answered. “Duty. For a samurai who acts for the interest of his lord, not himself.”
“Just so,” said Yoriko with approval, motioning Harun to sit. She began to pace again. “To be a samurai is to serve. To bend the knee. To bow the head. To be an instrument of your lord’s will. To put the interest of one’s family, one’s clan before oneself.” She stopped and turned to look directly at Hayate. “To do less would bring dishonour and disgrace.”

The next day, Harun ran from the barracks to the courtyard where they practised. The run helped him avoid the chill, as he couldn’t find his quilted haori jacket. When he arrived, the other students were already lined up, bokkens in hand. Harun bowed to the sensei, Kakita Daichi.
“Sensei, I apologise for my tardiness,” he said.
A grunt of disapproval. “Get with the others.” He didn’t want to waste words again on the boy.
Another bow and he assumed his place next to Arahime.
Daichi led them through the basic katas they had learned. Swift, disciplined movements, the bokkens moving like reeds in the wind. Then coming to a stop, standing still in silence.
Harun fell forward from a kick to the back of his knees, landing flat on his face and scraping his chin against the paving stones, drawing blood. He got to his feet, clutching his chin.
“He bleeds red,” came a whisper, somewhere near.
Daichi stood over Harun, frowning. “What is this?”
“My clumsiness, sensei,” said Harun, bowing in apology. The blood running through his fingers, down his arm and staining his sleeve.
“See to that,” Daichi said with a nod, he gestured to Arahime. “Go with him.”
“You need to tell someone,” insisted Arahime. “Hayate could really hurt you, you need to stop him.”
“I can’t do that,” argued Harun. “And it’s no different from what anyone else thinks. They’re right, I am gaijin. Why am I here?”
She stopped, putting her hand in his free one. “Harun, you wouldn’t be here if you didn’t deserve to be.”
Harun smiled.

Several days later, he was practising his katas in his secluded spot. Calming silence in his privacy. But today he was discovered. Hayate with his frequent offsiders Kunta and Saburo. All with bokkens they had taken from the dojo.
“You dirty gaijin!” Hayate exploded. “You told! I’m going to be disciplined because of you. Just wait until I tell my father!”
“But I didn’t!” Harun protested weakly. He tried to explain. Had Arahime told? And how had they found him?
“You’re going to pay!” Hayate shouted, the three of them raised their bokkens in attack positons.
Suddenly, Arahime was there. Standing in front of Harun protectively. “No! Stop this!” she shouted.
“Get away, Arahime!” yelled Hayate.
“No! I won’t let you do this!” she yelled back. “You are the one who is wrong. You are horrible to him, Hayate.”
Harun hoped it wasn’t Arahime who had told. He had said not to and he would hate if she got hut because of him. He gently pulled her behind him.
“Three of you against one of me?” Harun mocked, looking them up and down. “And I’m unarmed! What are you? Afraid?”
“We are samurai, we are not afraid!” declared Hayate.
If this was supposed to rattle Harun, it didn’t. He just stood there, looking directly at Hayate.
“Hayate…maybe we shouldn’t do this,” said Kunta with a little hesitation. “You know, his father…”
“He’s not his father!” Hayate exploded. “Looking like that! He’s not a real Crane! Who knows what his mother fucked…”
Wham! Hayate was thrown backwards from Harun’s headbutt, seeing stars. Harun the tore the bokken from Hayate’s hands, hitting him as hard as he could, again and again. All he could see was red. All he wanted to do was hurt.
“Harun! Harun! Stop!” Arahime threw her arms around him, grabbing the bokken with her hands.
Kunta and Saburo fled, dropping the bokkens as they ran. Harun looked down at Hayate, his face was a mess of blood.
“What have you done?” Arahime cried, clutching him.

Harun waited outside Sensei Kenshin’s study, his thoughts whirling. He was about to be expelled. He knew it. How could he face his father with such disgrace? Arahime was right, he should have said something earlier.
“Enter.”
Harun went in, prostrating himself on the floor before the sensei.
“Speak.”
“I freely admit my fault, sensei,” pleaded Harun. “If I had told you about Hayate, this never would have happened. I would not have hurt him. I fully accept my punishment, whatever you see fit.”
Harun felt like crying. He braced himself for Kenshin’s words, he knew he deserved them.
But Kenshin didn’t respond. Harun dared look up. Kenshin wasn’t even angry.
“Sit up, Harun-san,” said Kenshin gruffly. “Don’t flatter yourself for not telling me, I already knew. There’s not much that goes on in my dojo that I don’t know about. Even the small and petty feuds between boys that you don’t think are worth bothering me about. Am I right?”
“Yes sensei,” said Harun meekly.
“You won’t understand this, not yet but I hope you will remember,” said Kenshin. “We do not just make duellists here, but samurai who will go out into the world and represent the school and the clan. A good name which we will not have tarnished.” He looked down at Harun. “I wanted to see how you would handle it.”
Harun looked down. He wasn’t proud of how he “handled it”. “I lost my temper, sensei,” he said.
“You are to use your recreation time to meditate on this,” said Kenshin.
Harun’s heart leapt. “But…but I’m not expelled?”
Kenshin’s face was impassive, but was there a twinkle in his eyes? “In you, I see a capacity to reflect and to repent. To master your faults and to accept correction from elders. This is not a quality that Hayate has. See this lesson for what it is, Harun-san, and improve on it. You may go.”
Harun bowed low and left, his heart and heels considerably lighter than when he had entered.

Things improved from then on for Harun. He had a new found respect from his classmates. None of them had really liked Hayate, they just lacked the courage to challenge him directly. The fact that Harun had done that made them forget a lot of what they had thought about him.
Harun was at first suspicious of this until Arahime convinced him to see it for what it really was.
All was well.
Last edited by Kakita_Harun on Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scribe and Adopted Crane

KakitaKaori
Shireikan

Postby KakitaKaori » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:01 am

I love your story! I think that the Kakita Academy is a great setting for stories overall...among other things, it does have the combination of bushi combined with artisan that has a creative tension, it's very prestigious and competitive, many clans want to have people go there, and the approach of the sensei would be as individualistic as the instructors. I do see it as a difficult place for a child who is so obviously different so it makes perfect sense Harun would have a hard time.

I enjoyed the character of Harun a lot. It would be fun to have some Moto or Crab ancestors touch his life...this might already be the plan for your long term story arc, and that would be very cool indeed. I enjoyed his 'go hulk' moment a lot...it's a good contrast to how quiet, disciplined, and thoughtful he is overall.

Arihime was fun, and I'm happy to see more of her adaptation. If you get a chance, I would ask maybe that, if you're going through and editing, she get gray eyes, but other than that, it's perfect.

If you want to continue the story arc longer and want to chat about potential ideas, brainstorms, and directions for the story to go, send me a message in facebook and I'd be happy to brainstorm with you. I've got my big campaign writeup that I'm still working on so I probably won't be writing much original beyond that any time soon, but I will be looking to this with great eagerness!
Kakita Kaori
Kenshinzen of Golden Petal Village and overly prolific fiction writer
http://craneclan.weebly.com/
[Kakita Kyoumi/WC5]

Kakita Karasu
Gunso

Postby Kakita Karasu » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:05 am

Kyoumi 2.0 is great.

I can't wait to see where Harun goes from hear.

When he head butted the kid I literally said outloaud "That's my boy."
Emerald Champion WC 2017DuelistPistoleer • Crane Clan • Samurai • Soul of Shiba Mako WC 4
Raised Eyebrow of Derision
Winter Court 5 Iaijutsu Champion

KakitaKaori
Shireikan

Postby KakitaKaori » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:19 am

Kakita Kaori
Kenshinzen of Golden Petal Village and overly prolific fiction writer
http://craneclan.weebly.com/
[Kakita Kyoumi/WC5]

Kakita_Harun
Taisa

Postby Kakita_Harun » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:04 pm

Thanks guys. I got some ideas overnight. I'll see how they go.
Scribe and Adopted Crane

Kakita_Harun
Taisa

Postby Kakita_Harun » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:42 am

School Days – Part 3
Spring, 1230 – Shiro Sano Kakita

In the fourth spring following Kakita Harun’s arrival at the Kakita Academy, his father Karasu brought Masami and Masaru to begin their education. Twins, probably Matsu in origin. Both had red hair and this might have caused them a little grief had Harun not cleared the path for them earlier.
The boy Masaru was energetic and talkative. He was clearly suited for duelling; his sister was quieter and was accepted with the artisans.
The arrived with their cat, a stripey ginger named Yui. Sensei Kenshin look sceptically at first at the animal, then said Yui could stay if she earned her keep catching mice.
Harun spent time with his father before he left to resume his duties as Emerald Champion. They walked together around the castle battlements, talking.
The war with the Onyx had changed, Karasu said when Harun asked him of news. Things had splintered since the death of Kanpeki, several of the warlords tried to take his place. Come summer, they would press the advantage.
“This doesn’t mean it’s ending,” Karasu explained. “It has just become a very different fight. The Onyx have shattered into smaller pieces, this makes them harder to stop.” He leaned on the battlements and looked out at the horizon. There was more grey in his hair and beard, making him look older than his thirty-two years. “It will be up to you, and Arahime and all the other children to finish what we started. I had hoped to leave you a better world.”
Harun stood close to him. “Father, one day I will ride out at your side. I could think of no greater honour.”
Karasu turned to look at his son. It wouldn’t be long until Harun would be as tall as him, he had lost a lot of his boyishness. In a few short ears, Harun would have his own daisho, be swearing it and his service to the clan as a samurai.
He almost told him then. About his real mother, his real father. The whole story. But something held him back.
Almost a man, but not quite, thought Karasu.
He put his hand on Harun’s, smiling at him. “I couldn’t be prouder,” he said.

“Focus,” said Kakita Kenshin as he walked around the circle of seated students. “This is the essence of iaijutsu. This is how a duel is won before even your sword leaves its saya.” He looked around at the young faces. “Then, when the moment wills it, comes the strike. The draw and the blow are one.”
Harun watched the Master Sensei with interest. Even though he had lived in the Academy for four years, it still felt a privilege to watch the masters at work. And to learn from them where iaijutsu was in its most perfect form.
Kenshin stepped into the middle of the circle and looked over the heads of his students to a young man who had watched everything by the door. “Isamu-san, if you would?”
The students turned to look at him. They knew of Kakita Isamu, he after all had won the Iaijutsu tournament at the Emperor’s Court earlier that winter.
Isamu walked into the circle, conscious of the stares on him and seeming to enjoy them. He bowed low to Kenshin. He was a young man, in his twenties with the brashness and overconfidence that seemed to be about all Crane duellists.
Kenshin bowed in return, much lower but still with the appropriate amount of respect. Then they both assumed the stance of Void.
All was quiet. Not a breath of wind, not a whisper from anyone. The two duellists stood, quiet in their intensity.
Then, like a flash of lightning, they moved. Their swords clearing the saya, a flash of steel as they came down on either side. Isamu touched his arm, there was a hole there where Kenshin’s sword had cut it. Not a scratch on his arm at all.
Isamu bowed low to Kenshin, then left.
“He made it look easy,” whispered Arahime excitedly to Harun.
“One day we will be doing that,” Harun whispered back.

Several days later, Arahime was in the courtyard teasing Yui with a flower. She tickled the cats nose with it, holding it just out of reach. Yui rolled on his back, trying to bat at it.
Harun found her there. He sat down next to Arahime. In many ways they had gotten closer since living at the Academy. But lately, it seemed as if she wanted something more from him than friendship. Harun wasn’t sure what to think of that. Arahime was like his sister, anything else would be strange.
He took out a piece of paper from a pocket and held it out to Arahime. “Can you tell me what you think of this.”
“More of your verses, Harun-san?” Arahime asked, taking it. “I thought the poets were in my family.” She gave the flower to Harun and read the poem.
Harun tried to seem nonchalant as Arahime read it, teasing Yui with the flower.

A falling leaf, still
A single feather, frozen
Strike! The lightning flash!

Arahime smiled. “I like it,” he said, “it’s how I felt when we watched the duel.”
Harun was relieved. “The stillness,” he said, “I was trying to capture it. Not sure if I did.”
“I think you did,” said Arahime warmly, handing it back to him. “Is this what you want to be? A warrior poet?”
Harun smiled, the thought had crossed his mind. “Isn’t a bit early to be thinking of things like that?”
“Perhaps,” said Arahime. “But we should still think about how we will serve the clan when we leave here.”
“We probably won’t have much of a choice what we do,” Harun reminded her. “We will be sent to serve the clan where we will be most needed.
Yui, clearly discontented with the lack of attention with the lack of attention, chose this moment to pounce upon Arahime. She laughed, quickly moving her hands away from Yui’s claws.
“She probably smells the dried fish on your clothes,” teased Harun. “How did that happen?”
“It was Masami, she put them in my clothes,” said Arahime. “I told her that her first painting class was in the kitchens and she believed me.”
Harun laughed. “Why do you torment her so?”
Arahime hit him with the flower. Harun held up his hands in mock surrender.
Yui seemed to think this was a grand game, starting to gambol about excitedly. Swatting Harun with her paws.
Harun waved Yui off, but this caused the cat to startle, running across the courtyard and towards the inside of the castle.
They looked at each other, then ran after her.
They chased him into the tenshukaku, upstairs, past guards and then saw Yui slip into a room with guards in front. They stopped Arahime, who was behind, but Harun got past them.
“What? What’s all this? Who are you?” bellowed an unfamiliar voice.
Harun froze, bent over as he picked up the cat. On his right was a mortified and furious Kakita Rikuto, the Kakita family damiyo. On his left was, guessing by the purple he wore and the beard, a Unicorn samurai lord. Probably of higher tank than Rikuto, given his reaction.
“My profound apologies, Lord Chinua,” said Rikuto, bowing low. “I will make sure that this young scamp is…”
“No, no need,” Chinua said, waving aside the apologies. “Having youngsters around would certainly make things interesting.” He took a good look at Harun who was still frozen to the spot. “Though looking like that, are you sure he isn’t one of mine?” This last remark he finished with a laugh, which did a lot for breaking the tension.
Before anyone could say more, someone else came in. A woman wearing emerald green and yellow armour. Harun knew she was an Imperial Herald, he had seen many come to see his father. She bowed low to Rikuto and presented him with a large envelope with a chrysanthemum seal.
Rikuto looked between the herald and Chinua. The Unicorn Champion got to his feet, with a little difficulty. “We can talk on this later,” he said, then looked at Harun. “This one can see me to my quarters.”

As they walked, Yui jumped from Harun’s arms and ran back towards the dojo. Harun kept place with Lord Chinua who walked with a slight limp.
“What is your name, son?” he asked. The tone was curious, almost cordial.
“Harun, my lord,” he answered. “Kakita Harun.”
“Harun,” Chinua repeated thoughtfully. “I knew Harun, a long time ago. Who is your mother?”
“Kakita Hitomi, my lord,” said Harun. “She is the wife of my father, Kakita Karasu, the Emerald Champion.”
“Karasu?” Chinua frowned as if this wasn’t an answer he expected.
They walked on in silence for the rest of the way, when they almost came to the guest quarters Chinua spoke again.
“Harun-san, can you do something for me?”
“Of course, my lord,” said Harun meekly.
“When you write to your father next, tell him that you have seen me,” Chinua said. “I might have something he wants.”
“I will,” promised Harun, bowing low.
“You may go,” Chinua said.
Harun ran off.
Chinua watched the boy leave, he only had more questions. He went inside his quarters, his hands clenched into fists.
Damn it all, Yamada! Where are you and why is your son here?

When Harun arrived back at the dojo, the courtyard was filled with the students and masters. They were talking excitedly to each other.
Harun approached Arahime. “What is going on?”
Arahime’s smile turned to concern. “Harun? What happened? Did you get in a lot of trouble?”
Harun shook his head. “I will tell you later, I promise. What is all this?”
“Oh,” Arahime smiled again, “an Imperial Herald arrived earlier. The Empress has given birth to another son and the Emperor has declared twenty days of thanks giving. Isn’t that great?”
“It is,” Harun agreed.
The next day was a little more relaxed than normal. They spent the morning at the shrine, giving thanks and offering prayers. And in the evening they were permitted to join the castle’s festivities while fireworks lit up the sky.
Lord Chinua was there. More than once, Harun caught him looking his way. But he was never approached.
He acts as if he knows me, thought Harun. Or knows something about me that I don’t. Could he…could he know who I really am?
Last edited by Kakita_Harun on Mon May 01, 2017 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scribe and Adopted Crane

Kakita Karasu
Gunso

Postby Kakita Karasu » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:00 am

Oh jeez. CHINUA!!!! (Shakes fist at the sky)
Emerald Champion WC 2017DuelistPistoleer • Crane Clan • Samurai • Soul of Shiba Mako WC 4

Kakita Shiro
Daimyo

Postby Kakita Shiro » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:11 am

So...Harun ISN'T the son of the Emerald Champion?
Bushi. Artisan. Duelist. Magistrate. Hatamoto.

Kakita Karasu
Gunso

Postby Kakita Karasu » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:13 am

Adopted. The Emerald Champion has 8 adopted children. Including the twins introduced here.

Return to “Fiction”