Cosplay: Tips, Tricks and Ideas

Casual conversations about anything you want!
Kakita Karasu
Gunso
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Cosplay: Tips, Tricks and Ideas

Postby Kakita Karasu » Tue May 02, 2017 11:30 am

Not sure where this topic should go but wanted to start it.

So I and others have been talking about L5R cosplay and coming up with some interesting idea.

Do you guys have any experience with or ideas for L5R cosplay?
Emerald Champion WC 2017DuelistPistoleer • Crane Clan • Samurai • Soul of Shiba Mako WC 4
Raised Eyebrow of Derision
Winter Court 5 Iaijutsu Champion

Kakita Shiro
Daimyo

Re: Cosplay: Tips, Tricks and Ideas

Postby Kakita Shiro » Tue May 02, 2017 12:53 pm

The original forums had a few threads about cosplay we were unable to rescue, but most people just don an appropriately colored kimono and call it a day.

When I get home and can access FB from not-a-phone, I can link some pretty awesome images of Doji Yoshi and Kakita Kae cosplaying as Crane samurai.
Bushi. Artisan. Duelist. Magistrate. Hatamoto.

Kakita Karasu
Gunso
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Kakita Karasu » Tue May 02, 2017 1:16 pm

Emerald Champion WC 2017DuelistPistoleer • Crane Clan • Samurai • Soul of Shiba Mako WC 4
Raised Eyebrow of Derision
Winter Court 5 Iaijutsu Champion

KakitaKaori
Shireikan

Postby KakitaKaori » Tue May 02, 2017 1:57 pm

Karasu convinced me to do it....so...here's my kimono for Gencon.

I'll hem this to 3/4 length, though, so it is more of a long coat. It's cotton. I will wear that over a kimono style T-shirt, like .

I'll take some kendo hakama and use RIT Dye to dye them, possibly dip dye them if I'm feeling clever.

I have a stretch belt that I can use as a cheater obi, which will save a lot of weight and work too.

My problems with Cosplay before and why I gave up on it is that it's horribly uncomfortable. Real kimonos are silk (or silk/polyester if you're cheap) and are really, really hot. Add that to an obi over a foot wide, and you can't bend at the waist. Geta are almost necessary for the extra elevation, and then you can't walk. In a gaming setting it's hot and miserable.

But this outfit i can make all out of cotton. It should be much more comfortable.
Kakita Kaori
Kenshinzen of Golden Petal Village and overly prolific fiction writer
http://craneclan.weebly.com/
[Kakita Kyoumi/WC5]

Kakita_Harun
Taisa

Postby Kakita_Harun » Tue May 02, 2017 6:06 pm

I cosplayed to run my game at my local convention. It just so happened to be purple, so I was able to be Unicorn.

It's a cotton Yukata, which I wore over jeans.

If you want to purchase a silk kimono or cotton yukata, I suggest going to this site. I have bought a kimono from here and so has my husband, they are very good. They also have jackets and underwear, sort of necessary as kimonos do gape as you move.

http://www.kimono-yukata-market.com

Bear in mind for men the colours are limited, mostly muted shades of blue, black, grey or brown. Though I guess if you are going to be Crane that isn't much of a problem.

To make it, there are the folk wear series of patterns on eBay. There's also men's kimono, kamishimo and hakama patterns.

https://www.ebay.com/p/1983-japanese-ha ... 1128498782

As well as a very authentic simplicity pattern, which I have on order.

http://www.simplicity.com/simplicity-pa ... /4080.html

And I can confirm that silk kimonos are warm! Very, very warm! But the ones they have on the kimonomsite are so lovely.
Scribe and Adopted Crane

Kakita_Harun
Taisa

Postby Kakita_Harun » Tue May 02, 2017 6:23 pm

Last tip, and this is from a historical costumer. If you are going to wear all that silk, wear something close to your skin that you can sweat into. Either the kimono undergarments (also on the site) or even just a t-shirt and shorts. This means the sweat doesn't ruin the silk and will save your dry cleaning bill in the long run.

And now you know why ladies wore all those undergarments in historical dramas. ;)
Scribe and Adopted Crane

KakitaKaori
Shireikan

Postby KakitaKaori » Tue May 02, 2017 6:35 pm

And if your kimono has gold foil...don't dry clean it. I learned /that/ the hard way. :( Fortunately it's beautiful without, but....it was even cooler before.
Kakita Kaori
Kenshinzen of Golden Petal Village and overly prolific fiction writer
http://craneclan.weebly.com/
[Kakita Kyoumi/WC5]

MirumotoDaisuke
Shireikan

Postby MirumotoDaisuke » Tue May 02, 2017 10:35 pm

Cast Summon Kakita Kae
Dragon Clan • Artisan • Friend to the Crane • Samurai • Conqueror • Duelist • Kensai

Kakita Shiro
Daimyo

Postby Kakita Shiro » Wed May 03, 2017 5:21 am

Doji Yoshi
Bushi. Artisan. Duelist. Magistrate. Hatamoto.

Kakita Kae
Nikutai

Postby Kakita Kae » Wed May 03, 2017 7:43 am

Crane Clan • Courtier • Storyteller • Artisan • Chicago Crane Clan Can Queen • Charitable • Loyal

L5R Events Team
Team Vag Member

Honor Victories
Chicago '10
Austin '11
Louisville '11
Nebraska 11
KC '11
Nebraska '12
Minneapolis '12
Highland '13

Return to “General Discussion”